Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 AM

83,715 posts, read 76,218,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Lake temps are almost at a record level right now. Päijänne, which is deepest and second largest lake in Finland (1100 km2), has a surface temp of 25-26C/77-79F,
Wow! Now Compare that to same Latitude of 61.58N over Hudson Bay/Labrador Sea

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,512,493 times
A lovely crisp morning with dew on the grass. More pleasing I think than the previous cool spells which were quite dry.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM

NWS Boston is saying they will go out and review the "possible" tornado in Revere, MA this morning. POSSIBLE????? and there was No warning on it. THEY NEED TO WAKE UP!!

Meanwhile the radar showed Tornado and here are the scenes from Massachusetts there...

Sources:
https://twitter.com/carlwbz/status/4...663936/photo/1
https://twitter.com/RIBNS/status/493...221696/photo/1
https://twitter.com/LouieeR/status/4...153985/photo/1

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status/493767472999190528

Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,027,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No reports of tornadoes but Yes, some rotation showing up on radar. Keep the radar handy and phone on so alerts come through.

Shutting down now.

Temps and Radar

That thunderstorm kept me awake for two hours last night with non stop lightning and thunder.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,027,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
.. so our good summer continues.. at the expense of the midwest it seems!

Agreed. Everytime I mention that when Europe is above normal we are below, people on here claim no correlation. I disagree. Based on everytime I look at global anomalies, it is almost always the case. Jetstream down over us, up over Europe. Simple as that. Rarely is there is deep dip over us, and a deep dip over Western Europe.

Enjoy your warm summer. The more and more months you continuously get above average winters and summers, the more likely it will eventually flip and you will pay. There is no way around this cause your averages aren't going to rise that rapidly, and nature balances out yearly temps.

Of course, a cool summer here is warmer than a hot summer in the UK. If you had a July avg high/low of 87.5F/69.8F (30.8/21C), which is our current running average, it would break all time records probably back hundreds of years. Here is just average.

I've been enjoying this summer a lot. We've gotten thunderstorms (since May 1st 21 days have recorded thunder) and average temps, without too many really hot days. No real heat waves to speak of which is pretty abnormal but comfortable (and kept my electric bill reasonable).

Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That thunderstorm kept me awake for two hours last night with non stop lightning and thunder.
I heard it was intense. Meanwhile I got nothing but 0.10" of rain. . lol

Quote:
I've been enjoying this summer a lot. We've gotten thunderstorms (since May 1st 21 days have recorded thunder) and average temps, without too many really hot days. No real heat waves to speak of which is pretty abnormal but comfortable (and kept my electric bill reasonable).
And GFS showing no heat waves (or even 90s) for another 2 weeks. Any hope for heat waves needs to come Mid August to Mid September now.

Quote:
Agreed. Everytime I mention that when Europe is above normal we are below, people on here claim no correlation. I disagree. Based on everytime I look at global anomalies, it is almost always the case. Jetstream down over us, up over Europe. Simple as that. Rarely is there is deep dip over us, and a deep dip over Western Europe.
Oh definitely a correlation but as always, with weather it's never a guarantee and today shows it.

Here's a look at current setup. Dip over Gulf of Alaska. Peak in Western US & Canada. Dip over Eastern US, Dip over Europe. That's because there's a Ridge in the Atlantic. If there wasn't blocking (Negative NAO) Europe would probably have a Ridge/warmth right now.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,512,493 times
Quote:
Meanwhile Daytona Beach has 18 thunder days this month alone. Unbelievable, and I bet it's all cloud-to-ground too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I heard it was intense. Meanwhile I got nothing but 0.10" of rain. . lol
1.08" yesterday here. One spectacular downpour where it recorded 0.18 in 4 minutes.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 PM

A Fresh Look at the current Water Vapor Map. You can see the dry air working its way south as with the cold front.

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/in...m_method=flash

And the current temps 3pm July 28th

And the departure map to go with the temp map

Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 PM

719 posts, read 618,316 times
Heat wave begins today.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMoneyhands View Post
Heat wave begins today.
Seems like everytime I look at Washington State its hot and above normal there. I have to check some stats soon.

-----------------------

Strong Large Anamolous Storm sitting over New England right now. (1000mb)

Moisture and storms wrapping around. Will it reach the coast??

Looking forward to the 60s and 70s air behind it.

Summer 83F with DP of 65F right now here.

These little storms are packing punches throughout New England.

Tornado in CT & MA
Damage in RI
Hail in Vermont
Damage in NH

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather