Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 02:12 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,419,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
That sea can be a double edged sword. London is also shielded from much of the heat that can occur on mainland Europe.

At any rate, an average high below 27C isn't even considered summer here, and if that were to occur in July it's record breaking. Hell I barely consider our "summers" acceptable (this July certainly is becoming unacceptable) imagine what I think of when I see the averages from Northern and Northwest Europe.
That's true but I'd rather see somewhere that is more stable during July compared to places that can vary anywhere from 12C-40C like much of Germany and France. In London it is more like 16C-38C but with the extreme ends of the scale occurring only in very rare events.

I'd love a summer that averages 29C/18C with winters that are more like 17C/10C which is why I do not like our climate at all. The only good thing about it is that summers are comfortable and winters are not too cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,743,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I'm guessing that the 12.8C was recorded under heavy rainfall, but this does show just how rare 15C highs are, and that is for Heathrow which is outside of the UHI and far enough away to experience cooler temperatures.
I don't deny that sub-15°C highs are a rarity in London, but the goal was to show that it has seen sub-16°C highs multiple times in the past 39 years (16 times!). Those cool highs in Germany and France were recorded under rainfall too. The UHI does next to nothing to to daytime highs when it's overcast, rainy and windy. July 11, 2000 was most likely an equally miserable day at Piccadilly Circus.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:52 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,824,887 times
Quote:
That's true but I'd rather see somewhere that is more stable during July compared to places that can vary anywhere from 12C-40C like much of Germany and France. In London it is more like 16C-38C but with the extreme ends of the scale occurring only in very rare events.

I'd love a summer that averages 29C/18C with winters that are more like 17C/10C which is why I do not like our climate at all. The only good thing about it is that summers are comfortable and winters are not too cold
Lol, 38C in London rare? It happened once, and may never happen again. 16-35C would be a more balance scale for Londinium.
I certainly wouldn't ever describe our summers as stable. I'd say the French and German summer weather is far more stable than ours.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Lol, 38C in London rare? It happened once, and may never happen again. 16-35C would be a more balance scale for Londinium.
I certainly wouldn't ever describe our summers as stable. I'd say the French and German summer weather is far more stable than ours.
Well yeah, I was just posting the extremes in temperatures.

I don't know.. Paris seems to get 35C every summer as well as sub 20C, we definitely have a smaller range than them

Old 07-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I don't deny that sub-15°C highs are a rarity in London, but the goal was to show that it has seen sub-16°C highs multiple times in the past 39 years (16 times!). Those cool highs in Germany and France were recorded under rainfall too. The UHI does next to nothing to to daytime highs when it's overcast, rainy and windy. July 11, 2000 was most likely an equally miserable day at Piccadilly Circus.
Whatever the case.. I severely hope the weather improves soon.. I'm fed up of eastern Europe having scorching hot summers whilst we get left to the mercy of the jet stream!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,951,184 times
Southern CA has this rep for even though they have a nice sunny dry summer climate, their surf temps are way too cold.

It is July 9th, and currently surf temps are ranging from 72F (22.1C) at Santa Monica (LA) to 75F at San Diego (23.8C). Most places are around 23C to 23.5C below LA. Not bad at all. Seems that any El Nino at all be it minor, moderate, or strong brings warm water to S. California. I don't think they deserve this rep for having this "cold" water. Even if surf temps are usually upper 60's to low 70's, that isn't bad either.

Here are the latest surf buoy reports:

CDIP recent observed

Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM

29,556 posts, read 19,666,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
That's a poor argument because people of the world are generally acclimatised to the area they live in so their summer feels normal to them.
Well that's why I said "isn't even considered summer here"

Quote:
Except me - I've only spent a minority of my life in Buxton. So I prefer a much warmer summer, like SE England.

But if you grew up in London or somewhere else in the UK you generally don't think "oh i hate these spring like temps in summer" becuase to you, 23 degrees is summer. Just like in Chicago you think -10 degrees is winter and not the 5-8 we get in the UK.

Kids who grow up here in Buxton have their shirts off at 18 degrees. That's our summer average high and it's summery to them because it's all they've ever known as summer. Unfathomable to me, but I didn't grow up here, they did.
I don't disagree at all. I'm just stating my preferences and the perceptions people have here.

Quote:
The summer season can be defined in a variety of ways. Meteorologists like to classify it by the three warmest months--June, July and August--and call it meteorological summer. More common is the astronomical summer period running from the summer solstice (around June 21) through the autumnal equinox (around Sept. 21). Weatherwise, most Chicagoans would agree that summer weather has arrived in the city when the daily high temperature consistently reaches 80(degrees) or higher--a level at which jackets are not required and outdoor activities such as swimming can be carried out in relative comfort. Chicago's current eight-day string of 80(degrees)-plus weather (through June 17) certainly fits the bill.

Summer in the city: June 11 through Sept. 6

The weather data from Midway Airport, recorded continuously since 1928, presents a 79-year temperature climatology (free from any lake influence) to help us determine the period of time that the city's daily high temperatures are most likely to reach 80(degrees) or higher. A statistical analysis of the data reveals that the true period of summer weather in Chicago runs from June 11 through Sept. 6--Chicago's 88 days of summer
Chicago's 88 days of summer: A temperature-defined season - Chicago Tribune

Come to think of it, I would up my qualifications for summer temps to 86F/30C. By that standard we only get about 45 days of summer

This is bull****

Old 07-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Actually if you had bothered to look up the information correctly then you would have seen that I am right

Before you make ridiculous statements like that, how about you think before you speak? I don't like our climate and I definitely do not try and exaggerate it, I only defend it when people who do not live here try and claim they know what our climate is like!

London would NEVER see 11C highs in July, yet alone 15C highs. 16C is the lowest July maximum we have had in the past 39 years and since that we have not had a high below 18C, I challenge you to find evidence to prove otherwise!

Unlike Germany and France, London is protected from these ridiculously cool summer maxima by the sea.. but no you can choose to ignore this and make up statements like that

It certainly makes sense to me that London wouldn't see that cold of maxima as you simply stated. The sea moderates heat and cold. London would never see the heat of central Europe or the cold. Not too difficult to understand. Very easy for me to fathom cause I live in a climate that is barely moderated by the sea. The ocean only controls my weather with SE, E, or NE winds. In winter though, winds are mostly W to NW and that means continental.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Apparently, since 2000, there have been no less than 17 sub-18°C highs at Heathrow airport.

Do you think that is more or less than Paris or Berlin?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,283,230 times
Currently 81 F, it's been cloudy all afternoon. No rain though, but yesterday we had 2.45 inches. Total this month is 6.35. We were supposed to get some more today, but these SFWMD forecasts are always wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather