Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
another reason i HATE heat and humidity, i was outside playing basketball with my brother earlier today, it was 78 degrees or so, with high humidity, these HUGE monsters just start flying around us, i think they were wasps they were some BIG wasps, we had to go inside because there was so many of them.

at least it starting to cool down, it's 65 right now.
I've come across some HUGE yellow/Orange and black bugs this summer, WAY, WAY bigger than normal wasps. I believe they were TARANTULA HAWKS, one of the most painful insects known to man. Ouch! One summer we hired a Housboat up at Mildura, holy ****, the insects there were among the most horrific I've ever seen.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Eh, they don't like LA too much. I guess the people on C-D have something in common with bugs. We just have scorpions out in the deserts, tarantulas, lots of honey bees, yellow jackets, wasps, and june bugs. May sound like a lot, but now let's list yours. I mean, there's probably more, but those are what I see the most. No, I don't see tarantulas crawling in my house, but they are known to live out in the deserts. Oh yeah, we have bad ant, termite, and spider problems. That's all. Sadly, we have Black Widows and Brown Wood Spiders, two of the most poisonous spiders.

Back to the weather, it's been cold all week, especially today and yesterday. It was only 61* today and it's 53* right now.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
The bugs here are horrendous in Summer. We have necrosis-inducing white-tail spiders on a daily basis, deadly red-backs/widow spiders ( I found about 10 of them clustered around my pool in January), Huntsman spiders with 15cm legspans - these are an Australian exclusive, the biggest ****ing wasps and ants you could image. Has anyone ever seen a 1 inch long, bright orange ant before? Plus I had garden orb weavers casting webs ACROSS MY BACKYARD, this is no joke, an abosolute heart stopper if you happen to walk into it. I have found spiders and spider webs inside my telescope for petes sake. One time, my neighbour found a copperhead snake in her backyard. Just outragous.

And the mosquitoes. Stuff me they come in plague proportions. Like literally. A deadly mosquot born virus was found in northern Victoria recently, but luckily now that we're moving into winter, the mosquito plagues are gone.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
central Minnesota 26 sunny, forecasting a high of 45

The snow is disappearing fast and we are seeing a few bare spots of ground.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
It's 33 with a windchill of 23 so our snow is melting, too. We're heading for some decent temps that will be near 50 for the entire long range forecast. AND some days will be well into the 50s.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times
Wow sounds like all you folks still have problems with bugs...and I thought the bees were supposedly dying out.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,113 times
Southern Minnesota 9:41 am 30 High today 46 currently sunny

Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,134,850 times
sunny again
high today 56

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
The bugs here are horrendous in Summer. We have necrosis-inducing white-tail spiders on a daily basis, deadly red-backs/widow spiders ( I found about 10 of them clustered around my pool in January), Huntsman spiders with 15cm legspans - these are an Australian exclusive, the biggest ****ing wasps and ants you could image. Has anyone ever seen a 1 inch long, bright orange ant before? Plus I had garden orb weavers casting webs ACROSS MY BACKYARD, this is no joke, an abosolute heart stopper if you happen to walk into it. I have found spiders and spider webs inside my telescope for petes sake. One time, my neighbour found a copperhead snake in her backyard. Just outragous.

And the mosquitoes. Stuff me they come in plague proportions. Like literally. A deadly mosquot born virus was found in northern Victoria recently, but luckily now that we're moving into winter, the mosquito plagues are gone.

Interesting. First off, though, huntsman spiders are not exclusive only to Australia. Here in the states we have several species (Ive seen them in AZ and FL). Second, orb weavers are awesome spiders, completely harmless. And we also have widows (your redback spiders) of many varieties here, as well as the brown recluse (Loxoceles reclusa). And Im curious, what is your "copperhead" snake look like? Our copperheads are venomous and very common in many states (Agkistrodon contortrix).

And regarding wasps, I think the USA can lay claim to the biggest and baddest mo'fo wasps on earth. Check out these bad boys that are found in the desert southwest states (pepsid wasps)!
http://www.bugman123.com/Bugs/TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

As for our weather, its sunny and 50 degrees today. Same forecasted for tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,187,190 times
Cloudy and 54. Cloudy weather sure seems brighter than it did a month ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather