Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

^^

I think that there is a difference in his stance on man made global warming and his forecasting hot or cold patterns. Yes, he thinks that co2 has little or no influence on climate and weather patterns (which I don't agree with, at least on long term scales), and yes, he is right wing (how many left wing media/meteo types hype heat waves and hurricane linking them to MMGW? I can name a whole bunch) but goes out of his way to point out how warm and cold spells in different regions have historical analogs based on SST's.

Like this:

Jan 1977 and this January. Alaska had huge ridge and both Alaska and the Arctic was warmer than this January. Result was the same. Cold (very) in the eastern US.

Here is what Bastardi stated this morning for February:

Quote:
Last 4 runs of CFSV2 look TOO COLD for Feb to me. We have it cold, but not this severe

And here is what the CSFv2 has:

Btw, here is a cool satellite shot of southern Lake Michigan with a snow plume steady streaming into Northwest Indiana taken on Jan 24

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 01-26-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Jan 1977 and this January. Alaska had huge ridge and both Alaska and the Arctic was warmer than this January. Result was the same. Cold (very) in the eastern US.
The problem with those connections it's easy to find connections that's not there. It's not that hard to find two years with a similar winter pattern by chance if the record is long enough. Not saying there isn't a connection but I'm rather skeptical.

Last edited by nei; 01-26-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would hope that people would keep this quote of his in mind when considering whether or not he has a cold bias. Every single one of his blogs talks about nothing but the extreme cold we have been experiencing. He doesn't say a peep about the record warmth everywhere else in the world including CA, Europe, the whole western US and Alaska. If he mentions them at all it is just in passing, or about how any day now they are going to get cold. Mostly he just focuses on the cold east. And then his post from Sat 25 Jan has this in it:
He's deliberately trying to mislead, in the recent days I've checked, the northern hemisphere has been running above avearage.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The problem with those connections it's easy to find connections that's not there. It's not that hard to find two years with a similar winter pattern by chance if the record is long enough. Not saying there isn't a connection but I'm rather skeptical
There are many factors that influence climate patterns but you can't argue that SST's don't play a crucial role in climate. I mean if we have La Nina conditions usually, winter shape up along these lines in the US

and if we have El Nino conditions, then they tend to look like this

Yes, blocking can trump or negate oceanic patterns at times, but there are general trends that can be studies through the use of analogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He's deliberately trying to mislead, in the recent days I've checked, the northern hemisphere has been running above avearage.
Where exactly has he stated other wise? Only thing I have seen him post is this for North America, which CONUS has been running over 1.2C below normal since the start of winter. How is this misleading?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:10 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
What would you rather deal with this week? The rain in Alaska or the snow in Florida?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 AM

GFS snow totals for coastal South Carolina 1-2 feet Wednesday (2-m temps below freezing all day). This can't be right.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Almost the entire Northeast is snow covered, except for small sections of coastal Maine and southern sections of the Delmarva. Not something you see often. I'm just enjoying it while it lasts.

Intellicast - Snow Cover in United States

Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
More snow on the way.. Current Radar and temps. Expect 1-4" with this as well.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
More snow on the way.. Current Radar and temps. Expect 1-4" with this as well.
Last I heard that system was supposed to miss us to the north, but looking at the radar, I'm not so sure. We might get a little after all. Hopefully.

I wish our forecast looked like this. 1-3'' of snow almost every day.... Lillehammer, Norway Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Last I heard that system was supposed to miss us to the north, but looking at the radar, I'm not so sure. We might get a little after all. Hopefully.
Yup, the system itself will stay to the north of us and yes there is more moisture than even the short term models picked up on. It's stronger than forecast the disturbance moving through. I even thought the Apps would break it apart. We'll see. Snow moving into NYC within the hour.

Hockey game at Yankee stadium will be snowed on but that wont stop them.

HPC Storm track
WPC Winter Weather Forecasts

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather