Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 06:12 PM

83,564 posts, read 75,484,590 times

Advertisements

Boston. Snowing hard and 18°F there while 40s and rain not that far.. Seeing some amazing gradients lately like Long Island and CT. Wow.

Also note, with a Low pressure in that position spinning counter clockwise, there's East winds right off the water.

East winds and its still 18°F. Amazing

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-map99.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,008,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Note how little there has been of any mention of this things you graphed (quite correctly)? I think we should hear more about winter weather - ALL the winter weather - like the weather in warmer parts of the USA and world
You heatmongers already have an iron grip over the media, so perhaps you can turn on your TV and cheer on TWC forecasters and other TV mets who constantly bemoan how miserable anything other than heat and sun is and openly wish for tropical weather to be the norm.

As an aside, I'd gladly grant your request in winter if we also could hear more about summer weather in cooler parts of the USA and the world, such as the Aleutian Islands and the North Slope. Come to think of it, Alaska is virtually never covered by any news outlet. Who can blame some Alaskans for starting the Alaska Independence Party when as far as the media are concerned it's another country? In all seriousness, though, Alaska is about as wide as the entire lower 48, and has a wide diversity of weather that should be of interest to those covering weather nationwide. Instead whenever I turn on TWC the only cities I get to see in detail are NYC, Atlanta, and Denver. NYC and Atlanta are understandable considering their built-in biases, but the recent fawning over Denver is sort of odd .

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Ugh, I want to vomit after seeing that. Those highs on Sunday are terrible. More of this lousy Gulf air to endure.
One of these days I'll get around to putting a curse on that demonic Gulf air . Seriously, I sometimes wonder if the U.S. would be more pleasant if the Gulf of Mexico was land rather than water. The air coming up would still be warm/hot but at least it wouldn't be humid. Moisture for snowstorms would also be pretty much cut off, but the southern half of the U.S. receives about 50 days of warmth and humidity for every 1 day of heavy snow, so I don't think it's worth it to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Only models that suggest milder temperatures are to be taken seriously.
That's the application of the Wavehunter protocol - when TWC forecasts temperatures near average 7-14 days out, when their forecasts already are predetermined to skew towards average, after a warm-up then "there's no sign of cold weather outside of isolated areas". The delusion is a wonder to behold - a forecast that by design skews towards warmth when colder weather is modeled is used as evidence in favor of no cold in the future, when that particular bias is already pre-programmed into the forecast methodology. It should come as no surprise that Wavehunter and a couple of other WWFs miss most of the cold patterns and usually calls the end of a cold pattern far in advance of when it actually ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yet to be determined.
Which is the true story when it comes to what the weather will look like after Christmas. Might be cold, might be warm, and even if the current cold does continue it may be centered well away from where it's centered now (such as the Plains as opposed to the Northeast).

Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM

29,556 posts, read 19,666,897 times
Something is brewing this weekend... Don't know what yet, but it could be big, or just a big bust (knowing my luck)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Euro control run, East Coast warm up wont last.... LOL.. Midwest goes into cryogenic sleep..... 60 degrees F' below normal for 5 days....

Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,467,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Instead whenever I turn on TWC the only cities I get to see in detail are NYC, Atlanta, and Denver. NYC and Atlanta are understandable considering their built-in biases, but the recent fawning over Denver is sort of odd .
I wonder why...Denver only has about 4x the population of the entire state of Alaska, no big deal.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,227,283 times
Freezing rain created a shi**y cold icy mess here . First time ever I hated and cursed the cold weather. Sorry cold lovers, but sometimes the icy precipitation that comes along with cold weather is just a pain up my a**.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,951,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Something is brewing this weekend... Don't know what yet, but it could be big, or just a big bust (knowing my luck)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Euro control run, East Coast warm up wont last.... LOL.. Midwest goes into cryogenic sleep..... 60 degrees F' below normal for 5 days....

Lol you with the models as if they are a sure thing.

In post #607 earlier in this thread you posted a map of the Euro showing the average temp anomaly for the period 12 Dec to 16 Dec showing widespread very negative anomalies.

Philly was supposed to be around 12F below normal (average temp), Dallas the same, and Charleston around -6F. What actually happened according to recorded NOAA data at those city airports:

Philly for those 5 days was -6F below average
Dallas was -3.6F below average
Charleston was -0.4F below average

The model didn't come close to actually getting the temps. Yeah it was right that it was below normal, but not nearly to that degree.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,530,722 times
Short-lived cold spell starting to move into the Edmonton area at this time. Forecast to drop to -27C by Thursday morning but all the way back up to -1C by Monday.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,216,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Short-lived cold spell starting to move into the Edmonton area at this time. Forecast to drop to -27C by Thursday morning but all the way back up to -1C by Monday.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:33 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,719,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What you said doesn’t make any sense. You should know this is extremely rare, and unprecedented in most Oceanic climates, especially in a Late Autumn-Early Winter month in Seattle.
Now your statement is correct.

As weather enthusiasts, it's important to to use the correct word, to avoid confusion. We(should) know that Oceanic climates, aren't all the same but the average Joe/Joanne in the street doesn't always know that.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,902,668 times
Met Office: Shipping forecast and gale warnings

Force 12 hurricane winds. I will stay up to 2 tonight for the bars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather