Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,947,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
San Antonio doesn't have that many palms? Maybe not tender palms but there are plenty of Washingtonia(California and Mexican fan palms) palms all over the city...

Larger queen palms survived 17*F out in the suburbs of Houston

Both orange and white bird of paradise bloom here except after exceptionally cold winters and also depending on microclimates

Bananas only suffered defoliation this year in my cold western suburb; they probably stayed green in downtown Houston...even bedding plants like crotons and petunias look fine

Am curious why there aren't more palms planted in Houston then? I just street viewed all over Houston, are there are just few and far between of any palms. When you street view Sydney, AU, they are all over the place.

I'm convinced it has to do with cold. In Houston, people just don't feel like being bothered with the hassle of having to protect, or lose a tree. LA and San Diego have palms all over. But when you street view Houston, Mobile, Savannah, towns all over the South, you just don't see them except scattered randomly very far apart. When you get into Florida you see them much more.

If they were hardy for that region, people would plant them. Palms are very, very popular. All you have to do is look at any garden forum. People love to grow them, and have the green in the winter.

Btw, sabal palms are crap imo. Not as attractive as the less hardy palms. Sabal are hardy to about 5F.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,272,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Am curious why there aren't more palms planted in Houston then? I just street viewed all over Houston, are there are just few and far between of any palms. When you street view Sydney, AU, they are all over the place.

I'm convinced it has to do with cold. In Houston, people just don't feel like being bothered with the hassle of having to protect, or lose a tree. LA and San Diego have palms all over. But when you street view Houston, Mobile, Savannah, towns all over the South, you just don't see them except scattered randomly very far apart. When you get into Florida you see them much more.

If they were hardy for that region, people would plant them. Palms are very, very popular. All you have to do is look at any garden forum. People love to grow them, and have the green in the winter.

Btw, sabal palms are crap imo. Not as attractive as the less hardy palms. Sabal are hardy to about 5F.
ive been wondering that too! Hosuton could plant SO MANY palm trees, i mean Las Vegas is colder than Houston and its like palm tree - cactus paradise lol despite las vegas getting frost.
Im guessing they dont care too much. Even Charleston, South Carolina seems to have more palm trees than houston.

Florida and California seem to have the most palm trees (even norther california has a lot) Arizona and Nevada also have lots of them.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,544,311 times
Quote:

Not sure where you street viewed, but I can assure you that palms are by no means "rare" in Houston. You won't see royals and coconuts, but queen palms, date palms, washingtonia palms, and sabal palms are more than plentiful. There are also a lot of very old canary island date palms(which survived the freezes of the 80s) in the downtown area. It would be unthinkable for somewhere SOLIDLY in Zone 9 (within the 610 loop is 9b/10a) to not have palms. Washingtonia palms are almost a weed here and pop up in the highway medians. The city lined I-45 going south to Galveston with Washingtonia, Livistona decora, and pindo palms. Houston shouldn't be compared with Mobile and Savannah. Mobile and Savannah are more like Austin. Houston is much warmer in the winter. Much of Houston had a zone 10 winter this year.

You're also underestimating the power of the extremely long tropical growing seasons found in the deep south. How did the royal palms in Galveston survive 25*F? It averages 6 months with an average temperature above 70F. How did the coconut palms in Brownsville/South Padre Island survive a whole day below freezing? That part of Texas averages 9/8 months above 70F. So while marginal palms (such as coconut palms in S. Texas or royal palms in Galveston) may be occasionally damaged, they quickly recover during our summers. Extremely cold winters usually don't usually fall back to back either, so they get quite a few years of growth in between cold years. Brownsville and Galveston are very hardpressed to drop below freezing most years. South Padre Island didn't drop below 40F this year. Most of Houston(except the far northern and western suburbs) rarely drops below 25F.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Florida and California seem to have the most palm trees (even norther california has a lot) Arizona and Nevada also have lots of them.
Palms are the main landscape plant in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas...impossible to look in every direction and not see a palm...

Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,947,343 times
Quote:
Palms are the main landscape plant in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas...impossible to look in every direction and not see a palm...

You are right about Austin. People describe them as semi rare in Austin. Close to the same winter min temps in Mobile and Savannah.

Mobile and Savannah would be loaded with palms if not for the arctic fronts then.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,220,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
After a few years coconuts palms are destroyed in Miami? Miami grows coconuts slowly? Miami proper doesn't see temps below 45 F all year and its hardiness zone is in 11A. Miami grows coconut palms like weeds. You don't know what you're talking about. Gulf coast to inland South Florida there's a noticeable difference compared to South Florida on the Atlantic. That's why the zone are different. Most of South Florida is 10A/B, but Miami and the Keys are 11+. Lethal Yellowing is more of a concern to coconut palms in Miami than some cold snap. I'm not saying cold snap don't affect Miami, but Miami proper doesn't see temps below 45 F throughout the year. KMIA records temps inland, so it's readings are inaccurate somewhat. So pointing your finger to KMIA data won't help you much.
Oops, sorry. I meant to say Extreme South TEXAS they grow slowly and die after a cold front.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you street viewed, but I can assure you that palms are by no means "rare" in Houston. You won't see royals and coconuts, but queen palms, date palms, washingtonia palms, and sabal palms are more than plentiful. There are also a lot of very old canary island date palms(which survived the freezes of the 80s) in the downtown area. It would be unthinkable for somewhere SOLIDLY in Zone 9 (within the 610 loop is 9b/10a) to not have palms. Washingtonia palms are almost a weed here and pop up in the highway medians. The city lined I-45 going south to Galveston with Washingtonia, Livistona decora, and pindo palms. Houston shouldn't be compared with Mobile and Savannah. Mobile and Savannah are more like Austin. Houston is much warmer in the winter. Much of Houston had a zone 10 winter this year.

You're also underestimating the power of the extremely long tropical growing seasons found in the deep south. How did the royal palms in Galveston survive 25*F? It averages 6 months with an average temperature above 70F. How did the coconut palms in Brownsville/South Padre Island survive a whole day below freezing? That part of Texas averages 9/8 months above 70F. So while marginal palms (such as coconut palms in S. Texas or royal palms in Galveston) may be occasionally damaged, they quickly recover during our summers. Extremely cold winters usually don't usually fall back to back either, so they get quite a few years of growth in between cold years. Brownsville and Galveston are very hardpressed to drop below freezing most years. South Padre Island didn't drop below 40F this year. Most of Houston(except the far northern and western suburbs) rarely drops below 25F.
Actually, there ARE Royals in Houston-quite a few. I have seen them. I'm sure they get damaged or killed by cold fronts sometimes, but there's actually quite a bit of tall ones there.

Also, I disagree with one of the posters above. I find Sabal Palmettos to be one of the most attractive palms. Guess it is in the eye of the beholder though.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
ive been wondering that too! Hosuton could plant SO MANY palm trees, i mean Las Vegas is colder than Houston and its like palm tree - cactus paradise lol despite las vegas getting frost.
Im guessing they dont care too much. Even Charleston, South Carolina seems to have more palm trees than houston.

Don't forget Hawaii! It has the most palms of any state, in terms of variety, amount, and healthiness.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Actually, there ARE Royals in Houston-quite a few. I have seen them. I'm sure they get damaged or killed by cold fronts sometimes, but there's actually quite a bit of tall ones there.

Also, I disagree with one of the posters above. I find Sabal Palmettos to be one of the most attractive palms. Guess it is in the eye of the beholder though.
Maybe somewhere in the heat island...but the royals in Galveston barely pulled through the 2011 freeze and probably won't have a full crown till late summer. The mildest parts of S. Texas haven't had a freeze strong enough to kill off all coconuts since 1989...who would've thought coconut palms could survive hours at or below freezing?

The coconut palm below on South Padre Island was completely defoliated after the 2011 freeze...it's recovering nicely, if you look closely it is flowering and holding some immature fruits too

They don't grow that slow in Texas either (nothing like the Newport coconut)..this thread shows 4 years of growth:http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...560017596.html

Last edited by Asagi; 04-27-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,712,093 times
Quote:
Love the honey crisp ones. I remember reading that Fidel Castro loves apples, and that even the US is trading apples to Cuba thru some special agreement. People there obviously can't grow them, but do enjoy them.

Apples, peaches and cherries are favorites of mine, along with citrus.
Yep, Ol Fidel needs a crisp apple to wash the cigar taste away. Honey Crisp are very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Sounds awesome Joe. When I went in the okanagan in August I had a chance to pick peaches, pears, apples, cherries it was neat.

Any pictures of your orchards?
Here is a couple of photos at about 8.00 pm this morning, where I'm working. Mostly apples and grapes. I'll try and get some better ones later. A little bit of Autumn colour.

Mostly apples and pears here. Summer is too wet for cherries, peaches etc. They mostly grow east of the mountains.
Attached Thumbnails
Smack me, are these coconut palms in L.A.?-dscf1015.jpg   Smack me, are these coconut palms in L.A.?-dscf1014.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.