Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,351 times

Advertisements

I got this photo (picturing the same palm) from a palm enthusiast in South Texas...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
Ok, Zone13...

Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Ok, Zone13...
?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,083 times
As far as I know Texas seems to be a welcoming place to tropical plants growth. It's heat and humid most of year, and cold snaps, even though really hard sometimes, they don't last long enough to kill them.

These ones are from Chiuahua-Mexico, during Groundhog day Blizzard. Temps. were as bad as -16C but I do belive they've passed through that.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post

I got this photo (picturing the same palm) from a palm enthusiast in South Texas...
Well, that's great news!!

I hope south Texas becomes covered with coconut palms...it will drive a few posters I know I this site crazy!

You go Texas coconut palms

Old 06-25-2011, 03:43 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,717 times
^^Why would it drive anyone crazy? They have palm trees as far north as Vancouver and Denmark. I personally love everything about coconuts, I eat them all the time.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
To my knowledge, palms actually grow as far north as Sitka, AK (57°N) in North America and Ålesund, Norway (62°30'N) in the world.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,029 times
The OP I believe is referring to coconut palms, which tend to die in places with hard freezes. You won't see any outside in San Antonio or Corpus Christi because of the winters, and even places inland from S. Padre probably get too cold for them.

Apparently the oldest, northernmost coconut palm in North America is in Newport Beach, California. It was planted in 1984 and is protected by cliffs just to the north, if I'm not mistaken. There may be younger trees of that species farther north in that state, though.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
The OP I believe is referring to coconut palms, which tend to die in places with hard freezes. You won't see any outside in San Antonio or Corpus Christi because of the winters, and even places inland from S. Padre probably get too cold for them.

Apparently the oldest, northernmost coconut palm in North America is in Newport Beach, California. It was planted in 1984 and is protected by cliffs just to the north, if I'm not mistaken. There may be younger trees of that species farther north in that state, though.
The northern/marginal limit for coconut palms in Texas is coastal Corpus Christi, at one time there was a fruiting specimen there. A few people managed to get coconut palms to survive a few winters in Galveston also. They'll grow as far west as McAllen in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, though they're prone to cold damage there. They seem to last for one to two decades in the Brownsville/South Padre area.

Yes, there is a coconut palm in Newport Beach (growing in a micro-climate on the side of a building), but it is severely stunted. It's about 5 feet tall after 27 years and will never flower or fruit, it seems to hold like 3 fronds most of the time, it's surprising it is able to hang on at all. The problem with coconuts in California isn't the cold, it's the year round cool weather. Coconuts will not grow long term in California without heating cables.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post

Asagi is right.

From what I’ve read, the coconut palm in Newport Beach, CA very small (maybe 12 feet) and will never produce coconuts because it’s too cold in southern California, it really more of a curiosity than anything eles. I really doubt you would find any other coconut palms that far north. Here is the last pic of it I saw (don’t know if is still alive however):

Normally Coconut palms will get 50 to 100 feet or higher. Here are what the more typical size should be (Ocean Drive in Miami):

Also, I don’t think coconut palms look that great planted alone. It looks strange to have just one coconut planted. It’s still a beautiful tree, but IMO coconut palms only look natural in the landscape when they are in large groups. Naturally, they wash up and grow in groups like these in Key West:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather