Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

King and Bangalow palms are starting to be used here, but are more common in the North Island. The palm in the right foreground(first photo link) is the Queen, which palm becoming quite common here. They are fast growing. That palm is probably only 6-8 years old.

Well manicured, but sparse gardens. I wonder if it's just the style, or due to being semi arid. I don't think that an area like that would get ever the overwhelming plant mass that wetter climates get. That would be the most distinctive feature of Mediterranean climates -the sparse vegetation.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
King and Bangalow palms are starting to be used here, but are more common in the North Island. The palm in the right foreground(first photo link) is the Queen, which palm becoming quite common here. They are fast growing. That palm is probably only 6-8 years old.

Well manicured, but sparse gardens. I wonder if it's just the style, or due to being semi arid. I don't think that an area like that would get ever the overwhelming plant mass that wetter climates get. That would be the most distinctive feature of Mediterranean climates -the sparse vegetation.

I'm surprised it looks so green. A friend in college from LA told me their grass was brown in summer, and green in winter. That photo is from October, at the end of the dry season, so should be much drier looking. Unless all those lawns and sidewalks are irrigated.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

This is a street in New Orleans. I think I see what you mean. New Orleans gets 62 inches of rain a year. The trees look more dense and larger. This street photo was taken in March of 2011.

2511 Coliseum Street, New Orleans, LA - Google Maps

Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm surprised it looks so green. A friend in college from LA told me their grass was brown in summer, and green in winter. That photo is from October, at the end of the dry season, so should be much drier looking. Unless all those lawns and sidewalks are irrigated.
Yes, the lawns and sidewalks are irrigated here in SoCal. Grasses out in the wild, or in poor neighborhoods, will be naturally brown during our dry fall/summer (hottest part of the year) and green in the rainy, cool season (winter-spring).

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I'm impressed that people put so much effort into their landscaping over there as it doesn't look like a wealthy neighbourhood.
we do the same here and we certainly are not wealthy.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
And? LA is at 34n it isn't exactly the arctic now is it?

I'd actually consider that just on the boundary of the tropics.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
They are not coconut palms. I see those green-stemmed palms here as well and are a common find in gardens in areas where there is minimal frost. A few front yards in my area have them.
Ahh So that's what they are.

Quote:
Are you sure it is not a Manambe Palm (Dypsis decipiens).
Not sure. Kinda embarrassing having to admit I assumed they were stunted coconut palms, when I should know better lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
No, they are King Palms, also known as Alexander Palms.
Ah I see

Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
This is a street in New Orleans. I think I see what you mean. New Orleans gets 62 inches of rain a year. The trees look more dense and larger. This street photo was taken in March of 2011.

2511 Coliseum Street, New Orleans, LA - Google Maps
Wetter climates have to control wild seedlings a lot more as well. Some Eucalyptus seedlings that I've been meaning to chop down, have become 70 ft trees in ten years. More firewood, but more work as well.

Anywhere with a bit of shade will have very dense undergrowth, with most plants growing year round. A bare paddock left alone, will have 10-15 ft high scrub in 18 months. Dry climates definitely have their advantages

Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Yes, those are King palms. Very typical in Southern California... they might live in the Bay Area too.

I'm not sure how sensitive they are to cold, but you don't see them further inland where it can frost in winter. They're a great substitute for Coconut palms though. Very similar fronds/shape, but they don't get nearly as tall, and the heads aren't as big.

There is ONE coconut palm in Newport Beach on PCH. I've seen it before. I forgot exactly where it is, but right up next to a building. Last time I saw it was about 10 years ago and it didn't look all that great. It wasn't even as tall as the building, but it's the only known Coconut in California, I believe.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Actually, you do see King Palms in the inland areas more nowadays. It's becoming more common to see them, as they love the summer heat and sunshine there. Of course, it is cooler in wintertime, and drier all year-round...they probably do as well as those on the coast (coast is wetter and has warmer winters, though summers are cooler). But they do not survive in the Bay Area. Even Queen Palms don't do well in the Bay Area. King Palms are a tropical tree that is just hardy enough to grow here, but would never survive in the foggy, cool climate of the Bay Area. It just isn't warm or sunny enough for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.