Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
Not sure if that's entirely correct.

Some areas along the coast in southern California are zone 11.
However a very different zone 11 climatically than south Florida.

Just as Victoria, BC is zone 9a like Jacksonville, Florida
Again, same zone but very different climates.

I love seeing those coconut palm in south Florida, makes the area very tropical looking,
but I noticed coconut palms in Hawaii seem to be quite a bit taller on average,
not sure if that's to do with climate difference (ie. cold snaps).
Yeah, you're right, it's not entirely true. Coconuts grow in Deep Sourth Texas and some parts of Central FL.

Florida's coconuts are mostly a different species that are naturally shorter, but the taller ones they have don't grow as well as HI because of cold snaps and Lethal Yellowing.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yeah, you're right, it's not entirely true. Coconuts grow in Deep Sourth Texas and some parts of Central FL.

Florida's coconuts are mostly a different species that are naturally shorter, but the taller ones they have don't grow as well as HI because of cold snaps and Lethal Yellowing.
Actually, the talls are more vigorous and cold hardy. Sadly, they were almost completely wiped out by lethal yellowing decades ago.

Only a few survive, these are in West Palm Beach

Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Actually, the talls are more vigorous and cold hardy. Sadly, they were almost completely wiped out by lethal yellowing decades ago.

Only a few survive, these are in West Palm Beach
Florida is a large area... and there are many parts I’ve never been, but from my travels around there seems to be many taller (bigger than 60 feet) coconut palms in the older areas. From what I can tell (and this is just a guess on my part), cities and towns that are the oldest seem to have the most extensive gardens and the oldest specimens. Although coconuts are very sensitive to cold temps I’m sure, I’ve seen 100 foot coconut palms as far north as Melbourne, FL (about 250 miles north of Miami) – but Melbourne was a big resort in the 1940’s, so they have lot of older specimens.

One spot that I’m actually familiar with is the 1000 – 1200 block of Ocean Drive in Miami, they have many 60 to 100 foot coconut palms there it seems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
It depends on the individual climate though, Washingtonia filifera certainly don't grow well or at all it seems in Miami, I guess rainfall plays a big part...

The Washingtoinia’s I’ve seen in drier climates are taller than the ones I’ve seen in wet climates – but I have seen them even in Miami. In north Florida, Washingtonoia’s are everywhere in Ormond, Daytona Beach, St. Augustine…etc. So they must be able to handle the rainfall/humidity of subtropical climates:

This is south of Jacksonville:

I’m no expert, but from just guessing, these types of palms are the most common in some areas of the southern half of Florida. I think there called Cuban Royal Palms/Florida Royal Palms?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 AM

13,481 posts, read 9,022,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
The Washingtoinia’s I’ve seen in drier climates are taller than the ones I’ve seen in wet climates – but I have seen them even in Miami. In north Florida, Washingtonoia’s are everywhere in Ormond, Daytona Beach, St. Augustine…etc. So they must be able to handle the rainfall/humidity of subtropical climates:
Those are Washingtonia robusta though, which do grow well in humid climates, I was referring to Washingtonia filifera, which don't like wet/humid climates. Many people mistake Washingtonia's with slightly fatter trunks as W. filifera, when infact they are more than likely the hybrid W. 'filibusta', which can also handle wet/humid climates & have fatter trunks than regular W. robusta...

Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Wavehunter, those last ones are indeed the Cuban Royal Palms. For them, it's the opposite of the desert palms: they'll do fine in dry places like San Diego or Phoenix, but much better in humid climes that are warmer in winter.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM

A lot of the very tall and old coconuts are actually found in colder areas relative to Miami Beach(Southwest Florida, Treasure Coast, a few barrier islands in Central Florida) where lethal yellowing didn't spread due to chance or cold (insect that spreads the disease can't tolerate cold). Some places such as West Palm Beach inject their palms with antibiotic solutions to prevent them from dying of lethal yellowing.

Coconuts are a lot hardier to cold than people give them credit for. An hour or two at 32F is not going to hurt a "tall" type coconut that much. They will defoliate at 28F, but often survive if the next winter is mild. The Malayan "dwarf" types found throughout S. Florida are a lot weaker and less hardy to cold; but they are resistant to lethal yellowing.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Seems to me that it would be in their best interest to either bring in a different variety of coconut tree, or hybridize the two to produce a tall & relatively cold hardy coconut palm that is immune to LY.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Seems to me that it would be in their best interest to either bring in a different variety of coconut tree, or hybridize the two to produce a tall & relatively cold hardy coconut palm that is immune to LY.
Most of the coconuts in S. Florida are Malayan Dwarf or Maypan (half dwarf/half tall) coconuts which are resistant to lethal yellowing. They aren't as beautiful and robust as the old talls though

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Those are Washingtonia robusta though, which do grow well in humid climates, I was referring to Washingtonia filifera, which don't like wet/humid climates. Many people mistake Washingtonia's with slightly fatter trunks as W. filifera, when infact they are more than likely the hybrid W. 'filibusta', which can also handle wet/humid climates & have fatter trunks than regular W. robusta...

You know your palms very well. I never heard of all these hybrids, but then again no one around where I live grows palm trees.

Are these hybrid Mexican Fan Palms as well? They look different to me yet again. The trunk looks different, but the leaves look similar. I think in the background are a couple of Queen Palms. These are in a suburb of Savannah.

The street view:
savannah, ga - Google Maps

Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM

13,481 posts, read 9,022,590 times
I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to palms I have been a member of the European Palm Society since 1993 & the International Palm Society almost as long...

Yes those look be either robustas or more than likely filibustas, the one in the middle of the top photo looks like a Sabal though, difficult to tell for sure as they have been heavily pruned. The palms in the background are indeed Queens (Syagrus romanzoffiana) & the blue leaved palms in the second photo are Butia capitata, again hardy in milder parts of the UK...

Another way to tell robustas & filiferas apart, when small, is that filiferas have a totally green petiole down to the trunk/stem & robustas is coloured maroon close to the stem/trunk. Hybrids are variable & can have a lot of maroon colouring or none at all, but usually they have at least some, which makes it difficult to distinguish them from pure robustas...

There is no way you could mistake a pure Washingtonia filifera when mature though, their trunks are FAAATT!!
Attached Thumbnails
Smack me, are these coconut palms in L.A.?-washingtonia-filifera9_xm.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.