Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,895,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ownec, the met is only forecast lows of 3C at Braemar.
And?? The met office are never right. I just said that. And if the GFS is still predicting 2/3c mins by Tuesday night and its a clear night with little wind we will see whos right. I bet I am.

It will prove to the people on here who think that I am lying that nobody knows my local climate better than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I'm not sure...but I think those counties are in the mountains of northern New York – about 3000 to 4000 feet in elevation. Normally, I think high elevations see frost early in fall and late in the spring.

That is amazing you had two days with a mean temps below 50 F this summer. That sounds awful cold for anywhere in the temperate parts of the northern hemisphere for September (including the UK). Are you sure they were below 50 F ? I would guess that beyond a few places in far NW Europe (Finland/Denmark ?…etc) I would think mean temps below 50 F (meaning in the 40’s f) are quite rare before mid October.
No it isn't rare. The average high for september is 61f obviously there are going to be days below that. And look at our latitude we extend as far north as 61n at the tip of the shetlands. That is the latitude of Nunavut.

What is rare is the frequency of 50f days.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:05 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,371,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
No, he is talking about one day of sub 50° maxima in June in Leeds.... London has never had a sub 50 maxima in summer ever, London's lowest high in August 2012 was 19°C (66°F) on 31st, 7°F below average.

Here in Buxton we had only one day where the maximum failed to exceed 50°F in this summer, 3rd June, it reached 9°C (48°F) with an average of 16°C (61°F) so it was 13°F below average and the biggest anomaly of any day in the entire summer.

He makes it sound like he's saying there were maxes below 50 in August and September, but was trying to say there were three average temperatures below 50 (one in August two in September) NOT maxes but the sentence is misleading, and we have a blatent mis-understanding, leading to other members believing the summer was a lot colder than average than it actually was, so wise old Father-Climate here has to step in and correct everybody as per usual. There were no maxes below 50 in August or September at all in the UK so far.

Ahh….make more sense to me now.

I’m not that familiar with the UK climate…but I know enough to know that a day in August that has a high (MAX TEMP) in the 40’s (F) in London has to be near or at a record event. Also, that June 3rd daily high of 48 F was still really spring in the UK (June 21 is first day of summer of course). Seems to make more sense now.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:08 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,663,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That is amazing you had two days with a mean temps below 50 F this summer. That sounds awful cold for anywhere in the temperate parts of the northern hemisphere for September (including the UK). Are you sure they were below 50 F ? I would guess that beyond a few places in far NW Europe (Finland/Denmark ?…etc) I would think mean temps below 50 F (meaning in the 40’s f) are quite rare before mid October.
This site gives an idea of the temperatures we've been having over here:

Loch Glascarnoch in northern Scotland has had one high of 9.3C, otherwise everywhere else has had their coldest high so far this month between 10-18C (ignore the 7.6C at Cork Airport because that has to be a typo). Mean temperatures (for the whole month so far) are between 12-17C. All the temp. anomalies that are given are positive though I suspect that refers to the average for the month as a whole, so logically the first half should be above average.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
And?? The met office are never right. I just said that. And if the GFS is still predicting 2/3c mins by Tuesday night and its a clear night with little wind we will see whos right. I bet I am.

It will prove to the people on here who think that I am lying that nobody knows my local climate better than me.

It is true – nobody knows your local climate like you do (which is true of anyone of course).

However, I’m a bit shocked to see that in your location- a temperate oceanic climate, you are forecast to see 2/3 C (mid 30’s F right?) while we’re still in late summer. In my neck of the woods on the East Coast about 100 miles east of NYC lows in the 30’s F don’t come until late November on average. Are you in highlands?....backed by Mts to your east?....at the base of Mt range? Seems really cold for this time a year in an oceanic climate.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 AM

Look at this: This was my last air frost go down to magilligan my local station.

Synop report summary by countries

We are very unique as we get lots of cold nights in the summer because of the cold sea temperatures.

I am in a valley on the verge of the climb of a steep hill.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Look at this: This was my last air frost go down to magilligan my local station.

Synop report summary by countries

We are very unique as we get lots of cold nights in the summer because of the cold sea temperatures.

I am in a valley on the verge of the climb of a steep hill.
That seems to make a bit more sense; a low spot at the base of a hill/Mt can do wonders in cold air drainage off the highlands.

Still, I have to admit those are impressive numbers for that time of year. Not really what I was expecting.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 AM

why? We are at 55n. That is quite far north in the NH. Alot of people underestimate our climate.

Every summer we always reach at least 2/3c.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,609,695 times
No, you don't.. you need to stop lying. I know that frost hollows are not good representatives for local areas because they can be up to 10 degrees colder than other areas just a mile away. 0.0C is not an air frost either!

But we get lows in the 30's in June and September a lot. In September it's still very warm for a lot of the US.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
I have 37°F forecast for Sunday night, might not reach it though. Monday's night forecast low is 58°F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather