Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,981,909 times

Advertisements

Its not even November yet.

You should consider yourself lucky. Its going to be snowing next week at your place anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,490,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
What do you guys think of this as I collect my throught from the Historic storm.
Almost 40 degrees colder in a part of Virginia than in Montreal. Lol, neat.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,888,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc
Its not even November yet.

You should consider yourself lucky. Its going to be snowing next week at your place anyway?
No sign of any new cold waves yet, next week it'll still be 0-4°C.

The not even November argument isn't of much consolation. If I had my way solid winter weather would start in early October. The fact that it normally doesn't where I live isn't going to change my preferences. As it is now October and the first half of November are mostly useless here, not cold yet but dark already with lots of precipitation, depression city. I'd rather replace them with winter or cut them out of the year entirely.

This reminds me of how ignorant people always like to comment on weather news that winter starts on December 21 because that's what it says in the calendar. "Oh, it's OK that it's +5°C and raining on December 20, it's still fall." Seriously, go trip on knives. When a meter of snow fell and stayed in mid-November in 2009 and 2010, I bet it helped them to live with themselves to know it was still astronomical fall.

In fact, I hate that astronomical seasons exist at all. Calendar doesn't dictate weather and all they do is create misconceptions about what seasons actually are. The majority of people here seem to live in a happy simple world where each season is exactly the same length and always starts on the same date, even though winter is twice the length of spring and can start anywhere from October to January. They've also got no qualms about late winter being much lighter and warmer than late fall for example. Going by astronomical idiocy, March 20 is more wintry than December 20 even though it's got twice the daylight hours and probably a good 5°C lead on temperature. The whole concept of astronomical "seasons" should be done away with, or at least not be tied to solstices and equinoxes that have little in common with seasons outside mid-latitude locations with heavy seasonal lag.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,726,549 times
Seasons are mostly there so meteorological offices can keep records accurately. Seasons are helpful and should be kept.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post

The not even November argument isn't of much consolation. If I had my way solid winter weather would start in early October. The fact that it normally doesn't where I live isn't going to change my preferences. As it is now October and the first half of November are mostly useless here, not cold yet but dark already with lots of precipitation, depression city. I'd rather replace them with winter or cut them out of the year entirely.

This reminds me of how ignorant people always like to comment on weather news that winter starts on December 21 because that's what it says in the calendar. "Oh, it's OK that it's +5°C and raining on December 20, it's still fall." Seriously, go trip on knives. When a meter of snow fell and stayed in mid-November in 2009 and 2010, I bet it helped them to live with themselves to know it was still astronomical fall.

In fact, I hate that astronomical seasons exist at all. Calendar doesn't dictate weather and all they do is create misconceptions about what seasons actually are. The majority of people here seem to live in a happy simple world where each season is exactly the same length and always starts on the same date, even though winter is twice the length of spring and can start anywhere from October to January. They've also got no qualms about late winter being much lighter and warmer than late fall for example. Going by astronomical idiocy, March 20 is more wintry than December 20 even though it's got twice the daylight hours and probably a good 5°C lead on temperature. The whole concept of astronomical "seasons" should be done away with, or at least not be tied to solstices and equinoxes that have little in common with seasons outside mid-latitude locations with heavy seasonal lag.
But you live at 59n which is below the arctic circle.
Winter, here really dosn't get going until middle november. But recently you'd have thought it had already started, its been single figures here for alot of the month so far and its going to be cold next week. 5c tomorrow, friday and saturday. well below the seasonal average.

I think at our latitude we need to get a constant high pressure with sunny ice cold arctic air. The snowpack and the sunshine helps us get through the winter, today would be an average wintery day. It was very depressing, 6c and rain. Not nice.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM

As far as I'm concerned winter here might not get going until January. We didn't get settling snow last winter until February and our first air frost didn't arrive until December.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM

Well, i'm happy with what we've got so far. Its all going the right direction.

I mean, the average high is 12c in october and we have had tons of single figure days. Quite a few days next week are going to be around 5c, which I have nothing to complain about. Some days in the winter we do not get that. So I think we should be happy.

December air frost! I think ours was in october.
I did get settling snow but the most I got was maybe 4 inches in the whole winter .

British isles winters are really weird. It can be really cold the next and mild the next.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,490,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post

This is why when I talk about seasons, I usually prefer to speak of meteorological seasons, unless I'm talking about seasonal changes with emphasis on daylight time. People in general seem to have no concept of it, and I blame the media for placing way too much emphasis on astronomical seasons that people think that's the only sense of the word season. For winter, if we are to define it as the coldest 3 months of the year on average, winter wouldn't start and end on the same calendar dates everywhere in the world, regardless of how cold they get in the winter. Here meteorological winter would be the months of December, January, and February (though it would probably be something like December 5 to March 5, accounting for the somewhat greater seasonal lag). This is what people should think about when they talk about seasonality (again, unless it's in reference to daylight time), and it should be recognized as being dependent on geographic location.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM

83,711 posts, read 76,196,004 times
Just in case you missed it. Fall in the NorthEast brings Hurricane Sandy which brought coastal erosion, Flooding, CAT1 force Winds, and even a ton of snow (not to mountains only) Check out the snow totals by state and the picture of the cars stranded on the highway

Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well, i'm happy with what we've got so far. Its all going the right direction.

I mean, the average high is 12c in october and we have had tons of single figure days. Quite a few days next week are going to be around 5c, which I have nothing to complain about. Some days in the winter we do not get that. So I think we should be happy.

December air frost! I think ours was in october.
I did get settling snow but the most I got was maybe 4 inches in the whole winter .

British isles winters are really weird. It can be really cold the next and mild the next.
Yeah southern England even got air frost in October last year but we missed out, likely due to cloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather