Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Coffs Harbour 11 35.48%
Darwin 1 3.23%
Dorrigo 5 16.13%
Eucla 2 6.45%
Geraldton 2 6.45%
Innisfail 3 9.68%
Kalgoorlie 0 0%
Karratha 1 3.23%
Mackay 3 9.68%
Mallacoota 2 6.45%
Port Lincoln 0 0%
Wyndham 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,470,424 times

Advertisements

Yeah I don't think Coffs Harbour is that good. It's the best choice out of what is presented here but it really is too wet. There are better (read: drier) options both north and south of it.

The entire coast between Sydney and Brisbane is just beautiful - a mild weather lover's paradise. Coffs Harbor appears to be on the wettest part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 AM

414 posts, read 799,069 times
One caveat: if you don't mind humidity. If you don't like high humidity but can take a minor to moderate amount of cool weather, the coastal fringe from Merimbula NSW to Robe SA is ideal.

Coffs Harbour is often quoted as an ideal climate in the Australian media- not as hot/ humid as Queensland but mild enough in winter.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,734,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post
One caveat: if you don't mind humidity. If you don't like high humidity but can take a minor to moderate amount of cool weather, the coastal fringe from Merimbula NSW to Robe SA is ideal.

Coffs Harbour is often quoted as an ideal climate in the Australian media- not as hot/ humid as Queensland but mild enough in winter.
""Coffs"", along with "Port" ala Port Macquarie and even Yamba claim this title, if you look at their tourist brochures.
I would disagree,and would say around Busselton-Margaret River area is the best area on the continent.
But on this list, would go for Eucla narrowly over Port Lincoln.
Dorrigo has glorious temperatures, and my dream East Coast fictional climate of Temperateville is a hybrid between Dorrigo and Mount Tamborine, but rainfall is just too over the top - it has the record for highest 24 hour total in NSW by far.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Geralton looks very nice. Better summers than the east coast and much less rain to boot. Lots of clear skies aswell. 47-48C record highs a winner aswell. Go a little inland, and heat increases dramatically.

Eucla SUCKS for its latitude. Come on, 31st parallel and summer highs colder than Melbourne? give me a break

Innisfail looks like Australia's prime mould breeding ground. I can't even begin to imagine how cloudy it must be there. Good temps, but the grey would be too much.

Wyndham, looks good, but perhaps a bit of relief from the heat in winter would be good. ColdCanadian, where are you mate???

Port Lincoln is essentially Melbourne at Sydney's latitude. DERPPP!!!!!!
Ha ha ha.

I would say Wyndham is probably my most favourite climate.
Though Karratha is pretty close, possibly better depending on my mood.
There are never enough evenings in Australia where it's 24+ C/75 F after dark.

I think temperatures below 22 C/72 F before midnight are highly-overrated.

After experiencing the tail end of Townsville's Wet Season,
I don't think I'd find Darwin the best climate in Australia.
I would rate Townsville ahead of Darwin because we get a much longer season with comfortable humidity.
Townsville also showed me I miss having some dry heat days at 34-39 C/94-104 F.

Compared with Perth-style summers...
I hate how mild the sun's heat is on a steamy North Queensland February afternoon...
all-the-while sweating out of every possible place without feeling particularly overheated.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times
1. Wyndham
2. Karratha
3. Geraldton

I voted Karratha because I thought it didn't have any votes.

My preferences are based on having a house built to withstand intense hot sunshine with high humidity.
Cool-top decking surfaces, minimizing hot metal objects etc...

But I would pick Geraldton's climate the most-liveable of my favourites.
Especially because cars and some buildings are less-than-perfect the way they react to weather and sun.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 AM

497 posts, read 984,663 times
Coffs Harbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How many precipitation does Coffs Harbour get? Is it of the quick downpour variety or a more gentler drawn out variety? Are you likely to get soaked every other afternoon? The high rainfall totals are a bit worrisome.
88 rain days > 1mm

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,949,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I find it an interesting stretch as a very large area, from the top here:

Thursday Island, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to at least:

Wollongong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is a nearly solid stretch of A or B+ climates.

I agree. I think Sydney offers a great choice. If you want more heat in summer you can go further inland. I'll bet even now Sydney is still getting great beach weather. I think the ocean is still in the low 70's even now.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Just like a lot of people that live in oceanic countries, and Canada, would give automatic A grades to any climate that has at least 60 degrees in winter. I don't see how it's different at all . I voted for Innisfail for having the most Puerto Rican climate (aside from Darwin), but realistically, I'd live anywhere in Australia.

Huh? You really think that is the place in Australia most like Puerto Rico?
Puerto Rico getting over 100" of rain, and having winter lows in the upper 50'sF for averages? Are you kidding.

Darwin, yes, but I wouldn't rank Innisfail with a place like San Juan.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Canberra has cold winters. End of story.
When one keeps in mind the typical winter averages in Australia, then yes you are right, it is cold in winter.

From a N. Hemisphere temperate latitude perspective it doesn't.

For many people in the northern regions of the US, Atlanta is warm in winter cause where they live barely goes above freezing for months. Compared to my typical January weather I agree that a place like Atlanta does not have cold winters with an avg Jan high in the 50's.

However I don't think everyone in the US considers Atlanta to have warm winters, or at least not cold winters. With an avg high/low of 52F/34F, and an avg of almost 3 inches of snow each winter, many people in the US wamer climates don't think so, including my co-worker from Mobile. It all depends on where you live in the US. Heck, Portland, OR avg winter low is warmer than Atlanta.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I find it an interesting stretch as a very large area, from the top here:

Thursday Island, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to at least:

Wollongong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is a nearly solid stretch of A or B+ climates.
I would put my northernmost limit at around Brisbane, maybe southward of Wollongong. Hard to find stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather