Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,045,212 times

Advertisements

The long term forecast still shows highs in the 60-70F range -- the high teens Celsius.
Still no sign of a break from the trend of hotter than normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,045,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Interesting. Still cloudy and in the 40s here and it's almost noon. This is far more appropriate for March.
It was cloudy from when I woke up until maybe an hour or two ago, but the sky had cleared and now it is fairly powdery blue, with a bit of cloud. It's more like 48 F now, but right now it is calm (last time I checked, the wind was SE).

Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,776,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

If I'm not mistaken a backdoor front came through yesterday. Also New England and the Northeast in general are well outside the mugginess plume I mentioned (being an interior guy myself the coasts don't figure into my mental image of "Eastern U.S.", for better or worse). However TWC's map still has the Northeast in for above-normal temperatures going forward. Curiously enough there's a pocket in eastern Massachusetts that has near normal temperatures today (near your location?), but even that will gradually heat up.
Yea, as I said Boston is slightly below average today. What happened today was that the airflow changed from the west to northeast bring cool cloudy north atlantic air. We're on the edge of the heat plume, so the above average temperatures are a little less consistent, though the airflow will switch again tomorrow. We were predicted to get above average temperatures today, but the morning started out in the high 30s (instead of the 31°F predicted because the sky got cloudier) and only warmed into the low 40s so far.

The NE cool airflow is a bit typical for coastal New England areas in the spring. We're usually too far away to get that often (I'm 100 miles from the coast), but Boston gets it frequently. The coastal location of Boston prevents most mid-spring frosts allowing a 2-3 week earlier start to the growing season compared to coastal New England; but while the ocean prevents freezing temperatures it is still quite cold in spring, so weather from the Atlantic can give Boston so much colder days than the interior; sometimes 50°F days in May can happen. I've seen Boston 10-20°F colder than here in the spring; once for a short time 30°F. Would you prefer Boston's warmer nights and colder spring highs with a longer growing season or a more interior climate?

I'd imagine further south the difference gets smaller as the Gulf Stream warms the ocean. In many ways the inland areas of the northeast have more common continentality wise to parts of the Midwest than the areas immediately by the coast.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,296,414 times
Wow, it's 65 F in Scranton, but across the river still in the 40s and overcast here in NJ. Binghamton is at 60 F. Both cities are expected to be near 70 F today.

Allentown, PA is at 49 F.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM

11,968 posts, read 25,594,526 times
Final death toll for the March 2 Tornado Outbreak now stands at 39 +2 indirect fatalites

The remains of the McDonalds in Saylersville KY

Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,224,766 times
Wow, temperatures will be consistently 25-30F above average for the near future. Plus, there's a tornado warning right now with sirens blaring.
Talk about getting smacked in the face by spring!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,473,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

The remains of the McDonalds in Saylersville KY
That's one very distorted "M".

Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,776,397 times
It's way too early to say, but there's a chance that this spring heat wave could be as statistically freakish as the Moscow one. Similar deviation, and I think similar stuck trough / pressure pattern, someone else might know better. Chicago is forecast to be about 30°F above normal for a number of days next week. Probably won't be as extreme as the Moscow heat wave, but there are possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Interesting analysis of the 2010 Russian heatwave on that blog:
Extreme Heat | Open Mind

With six weeks of record-shattering heat spread over hundreds of thousands of square miles, I'd suspect that was the most statistically freakish meteorological event ever recorded anywhere.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,036,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Talk about getting smacked in the face by spring!
You're luckier than the rest of your country and your former state of Mississippi, who are getting smacked in the face by summer. It would be wonderful news if in the middle of September the whole country was gripped by two weeks of temperatures 25-40 degrees below normal. That's the equivalent if the autumn chill was as aggressive as the spring heat. I think we'd be hearing a lot more fuss about it and whining than we're seeing for this hot spell, with Western culture glorifying heat and sun, conflating spring and summer (seriously, if you check out the images of "spring" activities on The Weather Channel those are summer images).

Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,601,591 times
We tied a record Tuesday and look to break a record for Friday and Saturday. Denver's record for Friday is 74 from just last year, and for Saturday is 75 set in 1974. Just yesterday, 400 record highs were set or tied across the country. Most of these records were over the northern plains and Midwest. At least our lows are still mid to upper 30s. We have a chance for snow Monday night to Tuesday morning. Our highs in the 70s is typical of May weather, but our lows in the 30s is April weather. The cold front coming in Sunday night will just knock us back to a little above average. I just keep hoping that it doesn't mean a hot summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather