Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,235,718 times

Advertisements

Did I fall asleep for two months and wake up in May?

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 38. West wind between 5 and 8 mph becoming calm.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph.

Thursday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 61. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 72.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 48.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 50.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,663,635 times
This warm spell in North America going on at the moment is pretty remarkable considering how much above average it is over such a wide area! Our mild spell over here has been a bit of a dud due to the sun not burning off the low cloud until 12 or even 2pm, hence temperatures have only been getting to 10-13C as opposed to the 17C we'd been promised, though it's been nice enough once the cloud has gone. We get anticyclonic gloom in winter sometimes, and the same set-up as we have now in Sept/Oct often gives dull, misty mornings and sunny afternoons, but I can't remember a cloudy high like this at this time of year. It's been a dry month so far and looks like staying dry, but even so we've had more rain than March and April last year put together.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
The most remarkable thing about it is it's showing no sign of leaving...

Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,468,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The most remarkable thing about it is it's showing no sign of leaving...
There is some leaving here on shrubs, bushes, and small trees. Budding is still more common though.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
There is some leaving here on shrubs, bushes, and small trees. Budding is still more common though.
Ha.

I meant there's no indication of when this heat wave will leave, not leaves coming out. I see small buds here, no leaves year. And I'm not sure if grass has started growing again.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,468,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ha.

I meant there's no indication of when this heat wave will leave, not leaves coming out. I see small buds here, no leaves year. And I'm not sure if grass has started growing again.
Oh hehe.
I hope the heatwave stays until June ... when it will no longer be necessary

Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,704,388 times
We had a record 79 here in Northern Indiana yesterday, and another likley today. Also, overnight lows are record warm. It may be this way through next Wednesday!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM

The unusually warm trend has a pattern for about half a year. Before that, August was about average, and the warmth wasn't consistent until September with the exception of maybe October. Showing deviations from the norm for NYC and a station near me (Amherst). February data for Amherst hasn't released, I estimated it from a map (more likely a little low than too high, the map showed it was in between 7 and 8°F closer to the 7°F contour). I gave guesses for March.

NYC Central Park
September 2.0
October 0.2
November 4.2
December 5.8
January 4.7
February 5.6
March 10.0

Amherst
September 4.2
October 2.6
November 4.3
December 6.4
January 4.3
February 7.2
March 9.5

All in Fahrenheit

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,005,982 times
Low temperatures are much like what is typical for June in a good portion of the States (more in the south than northerly areas). A big chunk of Texas was reading 70F or higher for lows this morning, and a wide swath has lows of 60F or higher. In addition to this a plume of muggy air (dew points 60+ F) has a swath from Texas to Michigan in its grip. Daily highs are more typical for May than June in these areas, but overall I'd consider it June-like if I was in that, since nighttime lows and dew points have more of an effect on me than the daily high temperatures.

What is remarkable about this early-season "death ridge of heat", more so than the actual temperatures themselves, is the sheer expanse of near-record high temperatures and the duration of the event. It is going to be much the same as it is now for the next 10-15 days. There have been hints of a flip of some sort on the forecast models, set to begin around March 25-31, but that's at near the edge of forecasting range. The most extraordinary thing is that the same, already very unusually intense and expansive heat, will persist for a two-week period.

If I didn't know what was happening, I'd think I had woken up in Summer, or if I knew this was March, I may think it was Hell on Earth (somewhat kidding, since I'm a non-believer, but still it is nothing short of horrific).

I for one am hoping that the heat dome collapses, yielding to summer temperatures averaging 20 degrees Fahrenheit below normal across the northern hemisphere, with the death ridge of heat not returning until 100 000 years later when the glacial period ends . Unlikely? Sure, but if one is going to dream, one might as well dream big.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,427,463 times
Just as if somebody clicked their fingers, the low cloud has re-appeared by magic out of a clear sky and the temperature just dropped 5°C!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather