Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,527,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Well, let's face it - when one has migraines and other symptoms of heat stress, a 64F room will be very effective, versus a 74F or 80F room, the latter being totally ineffective in my case. In fact, when I step into an indoor environment that's above 80F, I almost always develop a headache within 5 minutes. I just got up today and my room temperature is 63F (66-68F is typical), a pleasure I haven't been able to experience in previous summers. A working air conditioner is the other half of total indoor comfort. I say working because all too often air conditioners are underpowered in North America, leading to thing such as the horrific stories from Memphinites during heat waves of their homes barely dropping below 80F in the morning due to deficient air conditioning. As for why myself and Cambium would want our home environments at that temperature, it's the same reason you keep your house so warm - comfort.
Whatever you do, don't ever visit South Korea, as they like their temps at 77 degrees or warmer, all year round.

As for my current AC, I drop it down to 71 at night, which is about the warmest I can take it for nighttime sleeping - I treat the AC as a sensitive, delicate instrument that's not to be overstressed if at all possible - I admit I'm a bit OCD that way...lol. At least I get rewarded when it comes time to pay the light bill - money that can then be used to travel north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,631,263 times
High of 27.2C / 80.9F today.. Humidity is low at 38% though, unlike the other days of 80's which had humidity in the 60's percent.. the low this morning was 9.8C / 49.6F too.. so no sweaty nights

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,600,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

As for my current AC, I drop it down to 71 at night, which is about the warmest I can take it for nighttime sleeping - I treat the AC as a sensitive, delicate instrument that's not to be overstressed if at all possible - I admit I'm a bit OCD that way...lol. At least I get rewarded when it comes time to pay the light bill - money that can then be used to travel north.
Was 71°F maybe a degree or two hotter overnight inside. A/C would have been pointless.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Whatever you do, don't ever visit South Korea, as they like their temps at 77 degrees or warmer, all year round.
Sounds reasonable. Do they set the heat that high too?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,013,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sounds reasonable. Do they set the heat that high too?
Well, he did say year-round. I've seen stories of Japanese/Korean homes and offices that were kept at 74F, 75F, or 77F (that general range) year-round, as in they set both heat and air conditioning to that temperature. It's funny in a way because in some other parts of East Asia, including Hokkaido if I remember correctly, they practically eschew heating, just using wood stoves for certain rooms or times, and as a consequence their homes are routinely below 50F. In those parts, however, it is easier to keep your home sub-50F than it would be in America, Canada, or Europe because there are certain design features. Still it would be hard living for most Westerners.

The heating/air conditioning situation in East Asia is peculiar, and I prefer the Hokkaido/Siberian route over the South Korean route, but neither is appealing and thus I'm glad that Western living has at least one advantage .

Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,748,239 times
Wow I would probably move if I ever had to live with someone who sets the heating at 77°F. I have a friend who has his appartment heated at 80°F. That's nasty when you arrive inside with your winter clothes still on, and a bit of an extravagance.
Btw it's 77°F in my room right now, which is about the average summer nighttime temp. That's a good sleeping temp, even if 20°F warmer than ideal.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,956,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Wow I would probably move if I ever had to live with someone who sets the heating at 77°F. I have a friend who has his appartment heated at 80°F. That's nasty when you arrive inside with your winter clothes still on, and a bit of an extravagance.
Btw it's 77°F in my room right now, which is about the average summer nighttime temp. That's a good sleeping temp, even if 20°F warmer than ideal.
I went to Hungary in January this year... everyone (relatives and shops) were blasting their heaters like hell. Became uncomfortable at times and often found myself outside gasping for fresh air!!! But on the plus side, you could put the beer on the balcony and it would be ice-cold within the hour

I am actually much colder here!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,748,239 times
Wow if even you were searching for fresh air, it must have been very warm.
What kind of heating do you have? Is it portable electric?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,631,263 times
Hm.. some storms developing now.. lots of cloud here now.. very dark one above my house.. hope to see something today.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I went to Hungary in January this year... everyone (relatives and shops) were blasting their heaters like hell. Became uncomfortable at times and often found myself outside gasping for fresh air!!! But on the plus side, you could put the beer on the balcony and it would be ice-cold within the hour

I am actually much colder here!
I remember someone who moved to Australia telling me they rarely use heat there so sometimes it gets rather cool inside. And in general, they seemed less wasteful in their heat and A/C usage than Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather