Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,605,844 times

Advertisements

On further research, Shanghai's 1895 hours of sunshine (if near correct) is very unimpressive. Air quality is probably poor too, given the huge population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
-2.8C for somewhere at 43 latitude must be one of the mildest record lows of any place at that latitude in the world.. it's incredibly mild
Yes, unlike you in the Northern Hemisphere we just don't get true polar outbreaks; we get something resembling them, when very deep troughs bring so-called 'Antarctic' air from the oceans, but they are nothing like what you get in North America. In most parts of Australia, the coldest minimums occur during extended periods of high pressure.

Wellington's record low is just -0.6C, and it's at the latitude of New York, while Kaikoura on the northeast coast of the South Island is the same, which is rather perplexing even if it is a coastal location. There are a few coastal stations in Tasmania which have not got below freezing.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
On further research, Shanghai's 1895 hours of sunshine (if near correct) is very unimpressive. Air quality is probably poor too, given the huge population.
I don't know if pollution is taken into account when counting sunshine hours, because having been to China I know even a 'clear day' in places like Tianjin or Chongqing is hazy from pollution (most of the time). You can literally look at the sun sometimes it's that bad.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, unlike you in the Northern Hemisphere we just don't get true polar outbreaks; we get something resembling them, when very deep troughs bring so-called 'Antarctic' air from the oceans, but they are nothing like what you get in North America. In most parts of Australia, the coldest minimums occur during extended periods of high pressure.

Wellington's record low is just -0.6C, and it's at the latitude of New York, while Kaikoura on the northeast coast of the South Island is the same, which is rather perplexing even if it is a coastal location. There are a few coastal stations in Tasmania which have not got below freezing.
That -0.6C was recorded in 1921, but there was a reading of -1.9C the year before. However, at the current (1928-) site, 126m ASL, the minima have not dropped below 0C since 1935.

The Kaikoura site is on a headland east of the main part of town, with its exposure moderating the daily range. The town proper would have had some lower readings than -0.6C.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,720,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

That's true.. when you've got thousands of kilometres of ocean separating you from the nearest polar landmass (Antarctica), you're bound to have very mild record lows.
That's my biggest pet peeve of the Northern Hemisphere in terms of weather - Polar airmass outbreaks in temperate latitudes during the winter!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,720,134 times
I know Wellington has an incredibly high record low temperature as well. I've even looked around Google Street view to see if I can see any subtropical vegetation like palm trees there and haven't really seen hardly any which is surprising. I know if a place in Canada had a record low that mild, you'd have dozens of palm trees on every street corner. As it is, Vancouver seems to maximize its use of the windmill palm quite well considering how cold we are.

Last edited by deneb78; 04-16-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,733,323 times
Quote:
That's true.. when you've got thousands of kilometres of ocean separating you from the nearest polar landmass (Antarctica), you're bound to have very mild record lows.
That's my biggest pet peeve of the Northern Hemisphere in terms of weather - Polar airmass outbreaks in temperate latitudes during the winter!!!
Most record lows don't go below 0C when you are facing the ocean, and there is only ocean below you.
Anywhere from Albany to Esperance to Port Lincoln.
You need to go quite a bit inland to get records below 0C.
Look at Albany:

Albany climate, averages and extreme weather records

Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I know Wellington has an incredibly high record low temperature as well. I've even looked around Google Street view to see if I can see any subtropical vegetation like palm trees there and haven't really seen hardly any which is surprising. I know if a place in Canada had a record low that mild, you'd have dozens of palm trees on every street corner. As it is, Vancouver seems to maximize its use of the windmill palm quite well considering how cold we are.
I don't know how they are classified, but pohutukawa trees (a largish example of which is only 20m from my back yard) grow well in Wellington, with the lack of air frosts, well south of their "natural" range.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
That -0.6C was recorded in 1921, but there was a reading of -1.9C the year before. However, at the current (1928-) site, 126m ASL, the minima have not dropped below 0C since 1935.

The Kaikoura site is on a headland east of the main part of town, with its exposure moderating the daily range. The town proper would have had some lower readings than -0.6C.
Actually I may have got it confused with the Auckland record, since I'm remembering what I read on the NIWA site years ago (my memory is fairly reliable). I think -1.9 or -2.0 is closer to the record.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:58 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,072,881 times
Quote:
The flipside is that summer heat is almost non-existent (mean high of 20.6 C in the warmest month). I doubt they'd grow anything that Christchurch couldn't grow (at least in ChCh's coastal suburbs which have similar winter temps to Wellington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather