Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Yeah, that's my choice and reasoning too. Warmer winter wins. Although Shanghai has less days over which rain falls, for what that's worth.

I suppose "dry season" is a bit of a misnomer then -- it would be dry in the sense that say London is "dry" relative to NYC -- little, sparse drizzly precipitation still present over many days.

When I imagine a climate with a dry season in that sense, I tend to visualize a place like Darwin, Bangkok or Bombay where the dry winter time is sunny, not drizzly or cloudy (leading to often even more sun in winter). Though that might be a tropical climate thing, and Shanghai is not really like those.
No, Eastern China doesn't have a true dry season in that sense, and I'd say Hong Kong barely does, even though rain buckets down during the monsoon and the winter months receive a tiny fraction of that total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No, Eastern China doesn't have a true dry season in that sense, and I'd say Hong Kong barely does, even though rain buckets down during the monsoon and the winter months receive a tiny fraction of that total.
I'm not as knowledgeable about world climates as it seems you are, but it seems like of the world cities whose stats I've glanced over, only Beijing seems to be an example of a temperate zone city that really has a "dry" season in the sense I was just mentioning -- and a surprisingly strong one.

On a related note, I did find, like Beijing, Bombay's dry and wet contrast rather unbelievable at first glance, especially with the way it drops the sunshine hours. The Asian climates with their monsoon must have one of the most seasonally contrasting climates in the world (?) in terms of rainfall.

I guess the idea of wet and dry contrast fascinates me, because I'm so exposed and experienced with climates with much temperature seasonality (Canadian and American ones) but yet have so little firsthand experience of ones with great precipitation seasonality.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM

497 posts, read 1,087,894 times
I would choose Hobart. It is similar to here although our days are 1 degrees warmer and our nights 3 degrees colder. It wouldn't feel too different.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I'm not as knowledgeable about world climates as it seems you are, but it seems like of the world cities whose stats I've glanced over, only Beijing seems to be an example of a temperate zone city that really has a "dry" season in the sense I was just mentioning -- and a surprisingly strong one.

On a related note, I did find, like Beijing, Bombay's dry and wet contrast rather unbelievable at first glance, especially with the way it drops the sunshine hours. The Asian climates with their monsoon must have one of the most seasonally contrasting climates in the world (?) in terms of rainfall.

I guess the idea of wet and dry contrast fascinates me, because I'm so exposed and experienced with climates with much temperature seasonality (Canadian and American ones) but yet have so little firsthand experience of ones with great precipitation seasonality.
I'm used to only or mainly having rain during one half of the year, being from Mediterranean climate, so much so that I long for a climate with even rain all year!

North Asia is very sunny during the winter months, and the subsiding high pressure over Siberia, China and Mongolia creates extremely stable conditions. North America is unusual in that even deep in the heart of the continent it's somewhat cloudy in winter.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
Hobart, slightly biased, but I actually like the city, and could easily live there for a 12 month stint. (not long term).
I went down there in mid-late April a couple of years ago, and it didn't really turn cold and nasty til the end of our stay - and I suspect it would not warm up again until November!
Shanghai would be too continental for me, with frigid weather at times.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Hobart, slightly biased, but I actually like the city, and could easily live there for a 12 month stint. (not long term).
I went down there in mid-late April a couple of years ago, and it didn't really turn cold and nasty til the end of our stay - and I suspect it would not warm up again until November!
Shanghai would be too continental for me, with frigid weather at times.
I guess the 'up-side' is it still doesn't get extremely cold in Shanghai, with a record of -12C, which is still a good dealer colder than the -2.8C of Hobart.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess the 'up-side' is it still doesn't get extremely cold in Shanghai, with a record of -12C, which is still a good dealer colder than the -2.8C of Hobart.
-2.8C for somewhere at 43 latitude must be one of the mildest record lows of any place at that latitude in the world.. it's incredibly mild

Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
There are 12 degrees of latitude difference between Shanghai and Hobart and Hobart is still warmer in winter.... In fact Shanghai's winters seem almost on par with London which is 20 degrees latitude difference!
While this is an interesting comparison (a Temperate Oceanic Climate (Do) and a Subtropical Climate (Cf)) …it seems a bit unfair to Shanghai:

First, you are comparing the largest landmass on earth (Asia) to an overwater/island location (Hobart/Tass). Next, while winters are indeed colder in subtropical Shanghai compared to Temperate Hobart because of the very intense winter monsoon in East Asia (and I realize your comparing winter only)... we all know that Hobart being warmer than Shanghai is truly a fleeting condition on the climate calendar: Shanghai is warmer (or much warmer) than Hobart 7 out of 12 months a year. Hobart truly has anemic summer warmth (many locations in the Russian Boreal climate are warmer than Hobart in the summer). Shanghai on the other hand has a true warm/hot season that is almost 20 F warmer than Hobart:

Hobart: HOBART AIRPORT, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

Shanghai: http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...1202+0003591G2

In terms of sensible weather beyond temperature, Hobart also seems to be lacking: In the cool season (winter) Hobart has more wet days. I would think this would be important, as many people find cool/cold and overcast/wet conditions the worst possible combination. According to the data below, not only does Hobart have more wet/rain days in winter, but less sunshine:

Shanghai: Shanghai, China - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Hobart: Hobart, Australia - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

I think I would go with Shanghai, to be honest. Not only would one see more sunshine and fewer wet days in winter, but when summer rolls in, one gets a good long season of warmth. I would think that high pressure (even considering the strong summer monsoon in East Asia) would be a bit more common at 32 N than at 43 S.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Very tough choice. Hobart's summer temperatures look very pleasant while Shanghai has your typical miserable summer weather. But Shanghai is cloudier, wetter, and chillier in the winter. I'm going to have to go with Shanghai on this one.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
While this is an interesting comparison (a Temperate Oceanic Climate (Do) and a Subtropical Climate (Cf)) …it seems a bit unfair to Shanghai:

First, you are comparing the largest landmass on earth (Asia) to an overwater/island location (Hobart/Tass). Next, while winters are indeed colder in subtropical Shanghai compared to Temperate Hobart because of the very intense winter monsoon in East Asia (and I realize your comparing winter only)... we all know that Hobart being warmer than Shanghai is truly a fleeting condition on the climate calendar: Shanghai is warmer (or much warmer) than Hobart 7 out of 12 months a year. Hobart truly has anemic summer warmth (many locations in the Russian Boreal climate are warmer than Hobart in the summer). Shanghai on the other hand has a true warm/hot season that is almost 20 F warmer than Hobart:

Hobart: HOBART AIRPORT, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

Shanghai: SHANGHAI CHINA, Weather History and Climate Data

In terms of sensible weather beyond temperature, Hobart also seems to be lacking: In the cool season (winter) Hobart has more wet days. I would think this would be important, as many people find cool/cold and overcast/wet conditions the worst possible combination. According to the data below, not only does Hobart have more wet/rain days in winter, but less sunshine:

Shanghai: Shanghai, China - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Hobart: Hobart, Australia - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

I think I would go with Shanghai, to be honest. Not only would one see more sunshine and fewer wet days in winter, but when summer rolls in, one gets a good long season of warmth. I would think that high pressure (even considering the strong summer monsoon in East Asia) would be a bit more common at 32 N than at 43 S.
I realize that if we compare the whole year, then obviously Shanghai is the much warmer of the two with the long hot summers it has. I found however the fact that Shanghai gets relatively cloudy winters even if it is the dry season an interesting comparison with somewhere like Hobart at a higher latitude with its warmer temps in winter but equally cloudy. Also, I was wondering if the longer daylight hours that Shanghai gets in winter would be enough for some people to swing it in its favour over the slightly higher temperatures in winter of Hobart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather