Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,605,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yes, it's about 1,150 hours per year. Others on here have tried to argue that with me, claiming it's about the same as Manchester (where I am now) but I have observed, travelling here from Buxton everyday, that Manchester often has breaks in cloud or clearer skies when Buxton is stuck in cloud due to the orographic enhancement of clouds over the hills it is on. I can find this out by looking on the Buxton weather webcam and seeing overcast there when it is fair in Manchester, on occasion.

It isn't surprising that Buxton is much clouider than most towns in England (apart from others on the western edge of the hills), the prevailing westerly/south westerly winds with Atlantic Moisture hitting the windward slopes of the hills where Buxton is, are conducive to extensive overcast conditions. Buxton also gets over 50% more rain than Manchester at 52 inches, compared with 31 inches.
Totals in the UK at places with clear horizons range down to little above the 1000 hours mark. And of course the oft-mentioned sub-Antarctic zones, among others, get far less still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,823,295 times
Not wanting to get into specifics, October was fairly-average here.

We did have some great days though.
I recall very early in October, one Sunday where we reached 78 F/26 C under sunny skies.

I thought October was bad enough...
temps have really taken a dive since a few days leading up to Halloween.

Virtually 24/7 cold-stress for the past week to my fingers, experienced almost instantly when I step outside.
I'm forgetting where I put stuff in my car because lately I'm always in a hurry to get out of the cold.

Honestly,
our recent weather is as awkard for me as if I never saw morning lows below 86 F/30 C.
This is what it's like when Toronto starts getting frosty mornings...
NOT looking forward to winter...

Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Not wanting to get into specifics, October was fairly-average here.

We did have some great days though.
I recall very early in October, one Sunday where we reached 78 F/26 C under sunny skies.

I thought October was bad enough...
temps have really taken a dive since a few days leading up to Halloween.

Virtually 24/7 cold-stress for the past week to my fingers, experienced almost instantly when I step outside.
I'm forgetting where I put stuff in my car because lately I'm always in a hurry to get out of the cold.

Honestly,
our recent weather is as awkard for me as if I never saw morning lows below 86 F/30 C.
This is what it's like when Toronto starts getting frosty mornings...
NOT looking forward to winter...
Chicago reported 78% of possible sun and very little rain, and another warm month. I suspect you may also have got more sun than you'd like to admit.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Chicago reported 78% of possible sun and very little rain, and another warm month. I suspect you may also have got more sun than you'd like to admit.
When I meant "I thought October was bad"
it was mostly about the temps and how much I hate our normal Octobers.

It might have been sunnier than average and perhaps drier than average,
just nothing remarkable compared with other years.
October 2009 was probably better than Oct 2010.

Some Octobers we never see 22 C even once,
so yes having 26 C once was pretty decent.

I was gone for part of October
(see "North Florida cool season" thread )
but from what I saw of the rest of the month,
I doubt we managed to exceed 50% chance of sun,
with our average for October close to 40% chance of sun.

Many days had morning sun but mostly-cloudy or overcast skies by 10am-12 pm, lasting most of the afternoon.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
When I meant "I thought October was bad"
it was mostly about the temps and how much I hate our normal Octobers.

It might have been sunnier than average and perhaps drier than average,
just nothing remarkable compared with other years.
October 2009 was probably better than Oct 2010.

Some Octobers we never see 22 C even once,
so yes having 26 C once was pretty decent.

I was gone for part of October
(see "North Florida cool season" thread )
but from what I saw of the rest of the month,
I doubt we managed to exceed 50% chance of sun,
with our average for October close to 40% chance of sun.

Many days had morning sun but mostly-cloudy or overcast skies by 10am-12 pm, lasting most of the afternoon.
Hmmm... might make some enquiries of your weather bureau....

Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,235,718 times
Is Environment Canada an accurate source for information?

Daily Observation Data | Canada's National Climate Archive

CC would probably argue with this statement: Toronto enjoys a fairly sunny climate. Toronto summers usually have an abundance of warm or hot sunny days. Winters are rather less sunny than in the prairie cities of Calgary and Winnipeg.

This link lists average sunshine hours per month. Not sure if it's accurate though.

The Climate and Weather of Toronto, Ontario

Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,720,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

CC would probably argue with this statement: Toronto enjoys a fairly sunny climate. Toronto summers usually have an abundance of warm or hot sunny days. Winters are rather less sunny than in the prairie cities of Calgary and Winnipeg.

This link lists average sunshine hours per month. Not sure if it's accurate though.

Environment Canada is pretty accurate but they never show daily or monthly totals for sunshine. I think the statement above should be kept in perspective. I think they are measuring it by Canadian standards and not world standards. They are trying to put a positive spin to Canadian climates. By Canadian standards, Toronto's climate is one of the warmest and sunniest but obviously globally, its climate is much less desirable.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Relative to Canada, it is true.
Compare Toronto to Timmins, ON or Gaspe Quebec.

"Warm" by canadian meteorlogical standards would be 70 F or 75 F. (21-24 C)
"Hot" by canadian meteorlogical standards could be 80 F (27 C) or as low as 75 F with a trace of humidity.

Fairly-Sunny by canadian meteorlogical standards could mean having months exceeding 50% chance of sun... ever.
Or it could mean having few months with less than 40% chance of sun.

When I complain about not enough sun,
I'm often more chilled than I want, and the sun isn't reliable or strong enough to change that.
That says nothing about our averages, or comparisons to the rest of Canada.

It's also why I have little interest in relocation within Canada.

*I will check out your link and comment after this post

Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Everything but the "...usually has an abundance of warm/hot sunny days..." is correct about our weather.

I've spent a lot of time in Mrytle Beach SC in August,
so compared to that I would say its wrong.
Of course no where in Canada even scarcely resembles SC in summer.

Last summer was the opposite of this.
Most of my days off were cloudy, rainy, t-stormy and/or below 80 F.
Had many days in the week that were warm and sunny, but also some dismal days too.
Last summer really was a mixed bag,
with 55-60% of the summer just like migh days off though.

We can get some summers where it seems 3/5ths of the days are 75+ F with a lot of sun,
(& another 3/10ths warm/hot and cloudy, leaving only 1/10th "cool")
but that wasn't this year, and it certainly wasn't 2009 or 2008

Old 11-05-2010, 02:42 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,021,292 times
Quote:
Relative to Canada, it is true.
Compare Toronto to Timmins, ON or Gaspe Quebec.

"Warm" by canadian meteorlogical standards would be 70 F or 75 F. (21-24 C)
"Hot" by canadian meteorlogical standards could be 80 F (27 C) or as low as 75 F with a trace of humidity.
Toronto's summers are about as hot as we can get in this country, except for those few cities further south, like Windsor, or the places in BC's Okanagan (Osoyoos, Lilooet), which might have the hottest summers.

Judging by the fact that around half of all households in Canada (higher than I'd have expected), and four out of five in Ontario have air conditioning (2007 Survey of Household Energy Use - Summary Report), it looks like most Canadians think their summers are too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather