Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times

Advertisements

They're just more evident because laws about druggies and homeless people aren't enforced here hence tents on the sides of major interstates and needles flyin around there like they don't have day jobs. I don't think people that have been here for a while realize the absurdity of that- that is considered a crime in every other place in this country. Here it's part of life. They are just all welcomed graciously. I think now with an influx of people it's coming back to bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 PM

102 posts, read 101,389 times
Washington state is no worse than the rest of the US for drug addicts. Pretty much every state has drug issues now, and Washington is no exception to that rule.

About Vermont: I grew up mainly in Vermont, and I watched my beloved town be destroyed by the effects of drug--specifically meth, and smaller amounts of oxy and heroin--addiction. I lived in a tiny town 45 minutes northeast of Plattsburgh, New York. By the time we left, it had gotten to the point where the streets reeked. We couldn't mail anything to Vermont because the junkies would break into the post office and steal the mail. When I went back to visit last year, I saw syringes on the ground every few feet. Interestingly (and thankfully), there has not been one murder in that town, or any of the surrounding areas. Lots of junkies breaking into the banks, stores, whatever, but no one actually getting severely injured or killed. We moved from Vermont to Montreal in 2010 and couldn't believe the difference about drug use. Vermont has a serious epidemic of drugs, but no violence, thank God.

I live in a nice town now and yes, there's been issues, but that's unfortunately a fact of living in the US.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
We had property near Eatonville and decided not to build due to all the meth issues in the area. We sold the land and never looked back.

I would doubt that there would be any wiring left in the house if we ever went on a trip, etc. Thanks but no thanks,

Old 07-29-2017, 05:30 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Seattle and environs is pretty much the end of the road - many end up stuck here or hereabouts, with Anchorage the only further stop, and unable or unwilling to go back to where they're from. We've also got rents going up faster than any other place in the nation - surveys have shown most "homeless" here are from here.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
There have always been Bums, Hobos, and Dope Addicts.

They used to be considered Enemies of Social Order.

Now they are seen as Victims of Society.

As the population increases, and the human species devolves, and drugs become more potent, more profitable, and cheaper to obtain, the number of mentaly afflicted and addicted continues to grow.

This will continue.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
There have always been Bums, Hobos, and Dope Addicts.

They used to be considered Enemies of Social Order.

Now they are seen as Victims of Society.

As the population increases, and the human species devolves, and drugs become more potent, more profitable, and cheaper to obtain, the number of mentaly afflicted and addicted continues to grow.

This will continue.
Yes and I strongly believe the current lack of judgement against drug addicts is a reason we are producing more drug addicts. The taboo is gone.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:57 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
WA state may not be the worst, apparently Vermont and our nation's capitol are even worse for drug abuse, but WA is still pretty high up there.

Any explanations for as to why?
Same thing for your neighbor to the north, British Columbia,
huge drug problem for decades.

Hard drugs and west coast seem to go together, gloomy winters don't help either.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:09 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
This will likely increase the drug epidemic in Oregon because more drug addicts will be on the streets and they will influence others to take drugs. If we were serious about solving the drug crisis we would copy what the President of the Philippines is doing.
That's one approach. Another approach is what Portugal did years ago when they decriminalized all drugs and officially began treating drug abuse as a public health problem rather than a criminal matter. Guess what, it's been working.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:11 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Portugal decriminalized drugs in 2001; this article was written in 2015:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.72d72c71b63a

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM

20 posts, read 15,741 times
How bad is the secondary crime in the PNW because of drug addiction? I'm thinking primarily of property crime (thievery, basically) and prostitution, i.e., crimes that help pay for more drugs. Is it worse in the eastern halves of both states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington