Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,155,836 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Columbia Heights all my life, and it was crap 10-15 years ago. You would regularly see people do drugs on 14th street and nobody would say a word. Once it got dark outside, you'd be afraid to step out of your house in fear of what might happen, and granted, some probably still feel that way today, but things are safer than they were before. It's claim to fame is not Target, I disagree. It's Metro. That started everything off.

I agree that the condos are overpriced, $1700 for a studio apartment is insane but if you live near the Metro, its not a bad deal considering there's a supermarket, metro, mini-mall, 3 different cleaners, a Starbucks, three banks, and some little restaurants, i.e. Chipotle which is coming soon, Julia's empanadas, etc. Everything is within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM

228 posts, read 921,030 times
I think the CH haters are overstating things a bit. First, I don't think prices in CH are overpriced in comparison to U Street. Anything west of 10th and U will cost you a pretty penny. It would probably be more accurate to say that both areas are overpriced.

Second, while the Ledroit/Bloomingdale area is certainly attractive, it lacks basic urban amenities within walking distance. Like... a grocery store, a restaurant, entertainment, a bar, etc. That's one reason I'm planning to leave that area.

Columbia Heights certainly does have a violent crime problem. But, it tends to be fairly localized south of the metro stop. I don't feel anything like that vibe when I go to the 11th St. strip (Red Rocks/Wonderland/etc), or even up to Red Derby on upper 14th.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,570,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
I think the CH haters are overstating things a bit. First, I don't think prices in CH are overpriced in comparison to U Street. Anything west of 10th and U will cost you a pretty penny. It would probably be more accurate to say that both areas are overpriced.
Gosh, nice to see me being labeled a "hater." If my comments are considered "hate" perhaps we should revisit what that term means.

I would happen to agree with you that properties in Columbia Heights and U Street are generally overpriced, but U Street has far more amenities than Columbia Heights does, and you don't have the gang wars problem.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 AM

188 posts, read 670,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I would happen to agree with you that properties in Columbia Heights and U Street are generally overpriced, but U Street has far more amenities than Columbia Heights does, and you don't have the gang wars problem.
I do have to say that one thing that I noticed while looking for places around U street was a pretty distinct lack of a large grocery store. U street has far more restaurants, bars and concert venues which are big stuff in my book.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM

209 posts, read 985,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
I do have to say that one thing that I noticed while looking for places around U street was a pretty distinct lack of a large grocery store. U street has far more restaurants, bars and concert venues which are big stuff in my book.
There's the 14th & P St Whole Food and a Safeway or Giant at 7th & P.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 PM

188 posts, read 670,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post
There's the 14th & P St Whole Food and a Safeway or Giant at 7th & P.
Thats still like five blocks away from 14th and U and unless you've got a car, those five blocks become incredibly long when you've got groceries in your hands. Also, Whole Foods is incredibly spensive and 7th and P isn't too close to the main drag of U. See my previously stated lazy arms grocery stance.

Some of the parking lots behind the 930 club could definitely become a grocery store, although I read some crazy plan by a developer to make that area into "Howard Town Square." Maybe that would include a grocery store.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,570,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
Thats still like five blocks away from 14th and U and unless you've got a car, those five blocks become incredibly long when you've got groceries in your hands. Also, Whole Foods is incredibly spensive and 7th and P isn't too close to the main drag of U. See my previously stated lazy arms grocery stance.

Some of the parking lots behind the 930 club could definitely become a grocery store, although I read some crazy plan by a developer to make that area into "Howard Town Square." Maybe that would include a grocery store.
There's a Yes! Organic Market at 14th and V, but man are they expensive.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 17,729 times
I like the store at 15th and U called DC's Best Supermarket (or something like that). It's bigger and nicer than it looks from the outside, and has bread from Firehook bakery.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,232,457 times
I love the look of the rowhouses in Eckington...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC