Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
You are correct that it's important to be street-savvy and understand where you are going. But it's also correct to say that some areas of the city have worse crime than others. True, crime is everywhere, but you're far less likely to have a gun shoved into your face in Tenleytown than you are in Columbia Heights.
Eh...let's just speak from a general perspective here...haven't there been gang crimes in places like Fairfax, you know areas that would probably see less crime than Columbia Heights? Something like people's hands being cut off with machetes in Northern Virginia, another area where you wouldn't think something like that would happen. It may be ignorant to say crime is everywhere, but it is true...just b/c you live in one specific area does not make you immune to area violence.

I think in the area where the Metro and the mall is, its more or less OK. Highland Park, the Allegro apartments further down Columbia Heights are all very nice areas to live in. It's not like this area has people getting shot and killed every day. This isn't Trinidad Ave, but that also doesn't mean you should walk the area alone at 3 AM on a Friday night, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Eh...let's just speak from a general perspective here...haven't there been gang crimes in places like Fairfax, you know areas that would probably see less crime than Columbia Heights?
Have there been gang crimes in Fairfax? I honestly don't know. But "perspective" is indeed important here, because you're attempting to compare a sprawling, suburban county to a dense, compact urban neighborhood. That's a complete apples-to-oranges comparison. And nowhere in my post did I insenuate that there are places where one would be "immune" from violence--but there are most certainly places where one is more likely to be a victim of a crime.

BTW - in the past three months, there have been no fewer than 5 shootings within a one block radius of the Columbia Heights metro station, including at least one homicide. (That's worse than Trinidad Ave.)

Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 17,715 times
For what it's worth, I've decided that Columbia Heights has more crime than I'm comfortable with right now, and I decided to move elsewhere. 14thandYou is correct that there has been a surprising amount of violent crime recently. The neighborhood is great, and the situation could change quickly, but I decided that there was more risk at the moment than I wanted to tolerate.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,774 times
Meh, there's still crime around here sure...but compare that to 10-15 years ago? I live on Newton Street...knock on wood, but there hasn't been any hint of violence in this neighborhood in a decade, if not more.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Meh, there's still crime around here sure...but compare that to 10-15 years ago? I live on Newton Street...knock on wood, but there hasn't been any hint of violence in this neighborhood in a decade, if not more.
No one's saying it hasn't improved. But improvement does not mean the area is no longer is dangerous--crime statistics tell the story.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:08 PM

8 posts, read 27,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcditydweller View Post
I already live in DC, but am looking for more space at a lower price so am thinking of moving to a somewhat more transitional neighborhood.
Are you renting or buying?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 AM

220 posts, read 703,963 times

-Columbia Heights: No Go. Too many hood beefs and Ms-13 around there.

-Ledroit Park: I haven't been around there in years, but it used to have some crime. Don't know about now, i'll check. but there is still a hood somewhere in Ledroit. but the areas changed a lot and has gotten a lot safer since the 90's

-Eckington: Skeptical. Overall its a rather safe area now. may have a few crimes here and there on North Cap. and Lincoln Road though.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 AM

188 posts, read 670,299 times
LeDroit Park is beautiful! Along Florida in LeDroit has some of my favorite houses in DC. I feel like its going to end up being one of the most sought after neighborhoods in DC, its so tree laden and neighborhoody looking. I was rather disturbed by the crime rate on some blocks in the area but the area closer to U street is nicer. If you're buying I would without a doubt recommend LeDroit Park. Plus, you'd be able to hop on one of the 90's and get back to your old hood quite quickly!

I would say that the violence to cost ratio in Columbia Heights is one of the worst in the city. 800 crimes in the last year within 1500 feet of the CH metro! And still its near impossible to find a place within 3-4 blocks of the metro thats under a grand per room, even with giant group houses.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that tech2enable actually reads any of the posts he comments on.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
I would say that the violence to cost ratio in Columbia Heights is one of the worst in the city. 800 crimes in the last year within 1500 feet of the CH metro! And still its near impossible to find a place within 3-4 blocks of the metro thats under a grand per room, even with giant group houses.
Indeed. Columbia Heights is, IMHO, one of the most overpriced neighborhoods in the city. Visitors see all of the development along 14th, and the gorgeous rowhouses, and think "gosh, what a swell neighborhood." But it's really deceptive.

Which is to take nothing away from how far Columbia Heights has come--many remember when it was nothing more than empty lots, low-end commercial, and a haven for drug sales and prostitution. It's miles better than that now. But you can't magically make the gang wars and drug dealing disappear, and they haven't entirely succeeded. Columbia Heights now is about where U Street was 15 years ago--whether it turns into the U STreet of today, or somethign else, remains to be seen.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 AM

188 posts, read 670,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Columbia Heights now is about where U Street was 15 years ago--whether it turns into the U STreet of today, or somethign else, remains to be seen.
It's pretty ridiculous because to the very casual observer, the immediate vicinity of the metro in CH looks more developed and 'along the revitalization trail' than 14th and U (no offense to a fine neighborhood and intersection!). There are still a few storefronts that need to finish renovations and the sidewalks aren't quite as fresh. However, its really disturbing how for not terribly dissimilar costs you can get so much more and better amenities in the U street area than in CH.

I honestly don't think CH would be where it is today if it wasn't immediately adjacent to rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods like Mount Pleasant, Adams Morgan and U street. It's claim to fame is a Target. It has a few nice neighborhood joints, but nothing really worth making the trip over there for. The only thing I can think of is that there are a ton of hipsters there. Maybe they all want to be together and are willing to pay a lot to do it. Oh and the houses are drop dead gorgeous. And you've got Malcolm X Park. And because having big box stores nearby is realllllly convenient.

I'm mostly just bitter because I was all hyped up to move there but couldn't find a place cheap enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC