Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 57,981 times

Advertisements

Looking into a DC relocation and saw a cool apartment building in LeDroit Park called McGill Row, on the corner of 2nd and W. So I'm looking for opinions on what that neighborhood is like. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM

470 posts, read 2,096,337 times
Ledroit is "up and coming."

The DC translation is "no longer a war zone."

I know some folks who have bought places over there because they wanted a rowhome, and didn't want to commute 90 minutes each way in order to have one.

But I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to newcomers, even though you may like it depending on what type of person you are.

There's just not much going on over there. I guess it's relatively close to the Shaw metro, so that's something of a plus. You can walk to the Logan Circle area.

Bottom line, it's your basic residential neighborhood that's on a bit of an upswing, although muggings and things aren't unusual over there.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 AM

14 posts, read 57,981 times
Default Thank you...

I lived in New York City for 8 years so I'm curious to see what the difference in city life/crime feels like. How about Columbia Heights as a neighborhood to live in?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 AM

470 posts, read 2,096,337 times
Which part of new york? A lot of people think Columbia Heights kinda feels like brooklyn. It's another "up and coming" area, but it's further along than ledroit. still some crime problems but since you're already a city person you probably know how to handle yourself.

Be advised though, that new yorkers who believe in the "safety in numbers" theory are sometimes shocked to come down here and find so many of the streets just deserted at night. It's just not a 24/7 town.

Depending on your budget and where you'll be working, there is a neighborhood that you'll be good with.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM

228 posts, read 920,498 times
I live in Ledroit (near 1st and W). It actually feels safer to me than Columbia Heights, which has a reputation for some really nasty projects by 14th and Girard, and has considerably more gang crime than Ledroit. But either choice is probably fine. The real difference isn't in safety but in amenities and feel - Columbia Heights has a lot more retail and dining/bar options at this point. The downside is that it is much more congested and crowded, and has a "big city" feel. Ledroit (depending on the block) is quieter. Obviously I prefer the vibe in Ledroit (that's where I bought) - you have large homes with big yards, and still are a five-minute bike ride to U Street.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM

209 posts, read 984,873 times
I just moved near Ledroit Park and it's true that there's not a whole lot going on and it's not especially close to any metro stop. I have a car so that's not the end of the world, but it could be significant for you.

Crime seems pretty bad. Within one week I've had my bike stolen and my car broken into (from an alley), which sucks. I do see people getting arrested all the time.

On the other hand, it's a whole lot cheaper than Columbia Heights.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 PM

228 posts, read 920,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

Crime seems pretty bad. Within one week I've had my bike stolen and my car broken into (from an alley), which sucks. I do see people getting arrested all the time.
Heh... funny how things go. Nobody has touched my car here in six years but I had my window broken twice in Dupont (15th & R). But yeah, I do hear about car break-ins here. It probably helps that my car is sufficiently lousy that nobody wants to touch it.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 AM

209 posts, read 984,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
Heh... funny how things go. Nobody has touched my car here in six years but I had my window broken twice in Dupont (15th & R). But yeah, I do hear about car break-ins here. It probably helps that my car is sufficiently lousy that nobody wants to touch it.
I've just switched to a dirty, rusty of pile of junk car but I don't know if that's going to help much. The gate on my back area is broken and I guess a lot of people pass through the alley looking for stuff to take.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,738 times
My family and I may be taking on a move to the DC area in a few months and I am looking for suggestions on a place to live. We have one small child and my husband will be working in the heart of DC proper. I have found rentals that I am truly interested in, but we want a city feel where I am able to walk to many different places without being in an apartment. Condos or row house rentals are what we're looking for but I just haven't found 'the place.'

Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,112 times
Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone hear new of any 2 bd rental near the Ledroit/ Shaw area? Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC