Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,653 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am interviewing for a position in Bethesda, Maryland and I am trying to find the best spot to look for apt/housing. I've been to Bethesda many times and I would prefer to live a little ways away (30 mins commute) so I can take advantage of the city. I figure if I'm going to give up 9 months of beach weather, I better be able to get the most out of living close to the Nation's Capital. I was thinking of Takoma Park, MD because it seems to be closer to the city and has it's own charm but yet not a terrible commute to Bethesda. I also thought that being close to Silver Spring would be nice since it has modern shopping facilities. Am I on the right track here or clueless? I would appreciate any input. I am in my late 20's and single. I don't want to spent a crazy amount on rent but I need to be in a safe area.

Also, does anyone have a feel for the rental market in the WMA? Is it a renter's market or are things hard to come by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 AM

71 posts, read 239,310 times
Default Metro

Hello!

I've also just moved here not too long ago and have found the metro to be invaluable in regards to getting into the city.

Metro - Rail - Maps - Rail/Google Map

I live pretty darn close to a metro stop where I could walk if I wanted to; however, there are metro buses that will take you to the stations as well. I don't know much about that area but try to avoid picking a location that would make you drive on 495 for any significant amount of time, esp. in that area.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:15 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,723,383 times
Is your office by a metro station? If so, why not live in DC? Dupont Circle is very popular and more urban. Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, and Van Ness are quieter but still close to restaurants and such. My favorite part about those neighborhoods is that there are more trees and Rock Creek Park is right there. However, a car could be tricky, especially in Dupont, so if you have to drive you might be better off in MD. Silver Spring and Takoma Park are cool areas.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangorunner View Post
Hi!

I also thought that being close to Silver Spring would be nice since it has modern shopping facilities. Am I on the right track here or clueless? I would appreciate any input. I am in my late 20's and single.
I would put you more on the clueless side. (just kidding)

Takoma and Silver Spring aren't any closer to downtown DC than Bethesda is. In fact, Bethesda would be closer to areas such as Georgetown or Dupont Circle. For example, it is exactly 10 minutes on the Red Line from Bethesda to Dupont Circle.

Bethesda would also be a better choice if you are looking for shopping, with all the high end shops of Friendship Heights (Jimmy Choo, Barneys, NM, Saks, etc.) just 2 miles down Wisconsin Avenue. Alternatively, you have Montgomery Mall and White Flint Mall 10 minutes away by car as well.

Now, there is nothing wrong with living in Takoma Park or Silver Spring, especially since the rents will be cheaper there, but don't pick those areas over Bethesda for the wrong reasons.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 AM

188 posts, read 670,706 times
Depending on your budget, Silver Spring/Takoma Park might not be a bad option simply because you can get to Bethesda on the Red line pretty easily. Its a long metro ride but at least you don't have to transfer, and those areas are much cheaper than Bethesda. Right by the metro in silver spring is pretty pricey tho

Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM

41 posts, read 293,043 times
Takoma or Silver Spring to Bethesda via the red line would be such a long commute! That's at least 40 mins or so! If you want to take advantage of the city, why not live in the city then? Living by any of the metro stations by Van Ness, Cleveland Park, Woodley, or Dupont would give you an easy commute to Bethesda, and you'd be near a lot more city life.

Silver Spring has a mall and shopping center, but I wouldn't call it modern shopping facilities. The mall isn't very nice and the shopping center has limited stores. There's probably be more shopping by Bethesda, anyway. I'm not really seeing any benefits to living in SS/Takoma unless you're talking budget.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM

184 posts, read 751,701 times
Takoma Park to Bethesda IS a terrible commute. It looks close on the map, and East-West Highway looks like a nice straight shot, but it's a crummy road with stop and start traffic the whole way. Silver Spring is better because it's closer, but at rush hour it could still easily be 30 minutes or more.

Also, all proximity to the city is not created equal. The communities in DC which Takoma Park borders are not likely to be the ones where you're going to go to meet up with friends. They are more residential. Bethesda and the other half of the red line would probably be better for you in that regard.

Agree that you should consider living in the city. It has lots to offer and it's not like you need good public schools right now. Within DC there are neighborhoods that feel very urban and have nightlife and shopping and neighborhoods that are "leafier" and more suburban-seeming.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM

10 posts, read 43,393 times
Default Just sent you a DM

Mangorunner,

I just sent you a Direct Message with a lot of details in it. I made a similar move. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,653 times
Whoa thanks for all the great feedback. It gives me a lot more to think about. I do have a car and will most likely be driving to work, so I think that limits me from being directly in the city. I did experience the EW traffic on 495 yesterday at like 2pm in the afternoon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC