Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 15,263 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 26 male and single. I am trying to decide between bethesda and arlington to live. I can spend up to 2k a month if i have to, rather cheaper obviously. It is critically important to me that I be able to walk to a coupel of good local bars from my place. Metro would be nice too. Which is better Bethesda or Arlington? I have heard that Arlington has a lot of 20 and young 30 year old professionals. Bethesda has a ton of restaurants, but how is the nightlife? Ideally, id just like to be able to fall back on a local joint nights when im not up for adams morgan or georgetown. I work in DC downtown and also all over maryland. I know traffic is suppose to be brutal in arlington, but, i dont really care if i was happy living there. I really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 01:12 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDC View Post
Hello, I am 26 male and single. I am trying to decide between bethesda and arlington to live. I can spend up to 2k a month if i have to, rather cheaper obviously. It is critically important to me that I be able to walk to a coupel of good local bars from my place. Metro would be nice too. Which is better Bethesda or Arlington? I have heard that Arlington has a lot of 20 and young 30 year old professionals. Bethesda has a ton of restaurants, but how is the nightlife? Ideally, id just like to be able to fall back on a local joint nights when im not up for adams morgan or georgetown. I work in DC downtown and also all over maryland. I know traffic is suppose to be brutal in arlington, but, i dont really care if i was happy living there. I really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
Beauty of the region is the Metro system.....Ignore where you live and only worry about Metro access because you can either drive or take the subway to the bars/clubs/restaurants. I recommend Arlington because its cheaper and like you said has the 20-30 network that you can mingle with and hang out. NOVA has tons of restaurants/bars/clubs so don't feel like you'll miss out. You have Old Town, and Wilson Blvd...

Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
If choosing between Bethesda and Arlington, I think Arlington would better meet your needs. Bethesda has a wide selection of nightlife, but it caters more to the well-off and has that sort of vibe to it. Don't get me wrong, Arlington isn't exactly a working-class city itself, but there does seem to be more diversity, a higher number of independent, quirky, local establishments, the sort of place where you could feel more comfortable sitting down and unwinding after a long day, than does Bethesda. I also personally feel that Bethesda attracts a slightly older crowd than Arlington. For example, I know of some people my age who live in Montgomery County who come to Arlington on occasion to dine and socialize, whereas I know no one who lives in Northern Virginia and routinely bypasses Arlington to hang out in Bethesda. Just my two cents....

Old 11-10-2007, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 10,579 times
Default hello

Hi, did you move to Arlington? It is a very beautiful place as i have heard... a cousin of mine lives there... lots of my friends have been there for the summer .. and yeah..;] any impressions? if you are there.. i am looking for aplace there, too. cause i wanna go there probably for the summer and do sightseeing, i am from Bulgaria... and i wanted to have more fun every summer. i was in Florida, Orlando this summer.. it was great but too hot and humid. .. oh.. I am Nadya, 21. Nice to meet u

Old 11-10-2007, 07:41 AM

223 posts, read 1,172,797 times
Bethesda and Arlington are vibrant Metro-accessible areas with many dining and nightlife options. However, I believe Arlington has more to offer you in terms of housing options and amenities.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:40 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Not to mention that Arlington encompasses an entire county, with many neighborhoods to choose from so your options are virtually unlimited in terms of housing. Whereas Bethesda is a much smaller area, an unincorporated urban area that pretty much consists of the area surrounding the Bethesda metro stop.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
If you have the dough (money), I would live in Bethesda over Arlington. Bethesda is cool, plus Arlington is sorta bland in spots.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
I would describe Arlington as having more of the under-30 crowd and more going on. I've lived in Bethesda for years. IMHO it doesn't have much of a nightlife except for restaurants, two movie complexes, and a few upscale pubs. Generally an older and pricier place. Parts of Arlington have gotten very pricey, too, but, as I said, there is more going on there and there are pockets that are not as upscale and more affordable.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:04 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
I would describe Arlington as having more of the under-30 crowd and more going on. I've lived in Bethesda for years. IMHO it doesn't have much of a nightlife except for restaurants, two movie complexes, and a few upscale pubs. Generally an older and pricier place. Parts of Arlington have gotten very pricey, too, but, as I said, there is more going on there and there are pockets that are not as upscale and more affordable.

I liked Arlington because of its close in proximity to DC major points and highlights a lot faster than from Bethesda. (Georgetown, Downtown, Capitol Hill) and by car. But you do have Upper NW near Bethesda, but a lot depends on where a person would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC