Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,978,362 times

Advertisements

So after 4 months of analysis while living here, I have come to the realization, understanding, and have also accepted that DC is a lady of her own kind. She shouldn't be compared to any other city.. She is who she is.. It pretty much comes down to "hidden beauty" when it comes to DC. But with that said and before I go on, I know that there are the 10% defenders that will argue just about anything. And there are some that automatically become expert defenders just because a topic is brought to light. However, I must tell you that I am naturally an analytical thinker and for the past 20 years, I have been and still involved in fitness training, the music industry, logistics, and human behavior analysis for law enforcement, the military and federal government all while living in 7 countries and speaking 3 languages. It is what I do every day, all day. I analyze! I also actually pride myself on knowing accents such as distinguishing a Queens Vs Long Island accent, or someone from the Cost of Colombia vs the mainland. Just the other day, a person asked me a simple question and I immediately knew that person was from Texas. He was stunned as to how quickly I knew... I am now developing an ear for the DMV accents. And while covering the 1million taskers I had this weekend, I have been formulating this post in head since friday.

So here it is: when I first moved down here in April, I had a friend come in from NY to help me settle in. She herself moved from Europe to oversee hotels and restaurants in NY and it was her first visit to DC. As we drove around town that weekend, I expressed that it seemed that the people here where normal and almost to the point of not really putting effort into their aesthetics, swag, or fashion. She disagreed and said I was "over-analyzing". I see it as such because it comes to me naturally. I explained that I am gifted in media arts but I don't do well in sciences or math. Not everyone can specialize or grasp certain things as easily as others. I enjoy analysis but drives others insane. I enjoy processing fraudulent cases and tracking down criminal patterns.

But low and behold; she temporarily relocated here to oversee a few eateries near China Town and hotels in the NW. She mentioned that some of the happy hours have had meetups for people new in town or to mingle. She was surprised that many (not all for you 10% defenders) but many out of the 250-300 men and women that came in looked as if they were going shopping on a saturday afternoon. No make-up, no highlights, hunched back as if they spent longs hours in the office, some unable to walk in high-heels, men wearing flip flops.. (but she did notice that more of the black and Hispanic women dressed the part). I played as if I was a 10% defender and said that it might have been just "isolated incidents". She said on the contrary. After being here for a few weeks, she did notice that many men and women (especially women) had such potential and were beautiful but just placed no effort.

So, I am not sure what it is, but I too have noticed that there are beautiful women here in DC but the effort isn't there. Same with men. A suit at a club or button shirt with dockers and flip flops will just do... But I believe more and more it has to do with the "government town" attitude as it also carries into the nightlife industry and music scene in cultivating artists. DC is a classic town and doesn't want to be messed with.

But in closing, as i said before, DC is her own lady. She shouldn't be compared, shouldn't change. I just came back from a 6 day trip to Miami and I tell you what- Miami blows DC out the water in terms of looks but a lot of it comes from competition, people just wanting to live the Miami life, and some of it is superficial (well, its becoming more and more superficial, literally). But a big factor is the south american and latin influence. What I have come to find out is that DC has hidden beauty but it has true substance. I always have miami and NY as my playground for the after-effects

Respect to you DC!

Last edited by halfamazing; 08-12-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,730,651 times
It really doesn't take a long essay or any great gift for analysis to realize that highly-educated people move here who care more about their minds and social issue of choice than fashion. People who dress too flashy here aren't taken as seriously intellectually in many professional circles.

That's been the stereotype of DC for many generations.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM

792 posts, read 2,880,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It really doesn't take a long essay or any great gift for analysis to realize that highly-educated people move here who care more about their minds and social issue of choice than fashion. People who dress too flashy here aren't taken as seriously intellectually in many professional circles.

They should dress nerdy then, instead of dowdy. Sizzle.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
There's more bowties and sweater vests here than most places but dressing nerdy is as much a fashion choice as dressing chic. Most here could care less about fashion either way. The general assumption, right or wrong, is that fashion is beneath them. They were never judged by it in their comp.etitive schools. I'd say DC isn't nearly as much like this as it used to be, though

Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,365,580 times
I guess it depends on what kind of nightlife spots you are frequenting.

You will see people carrying themselves differently between Lucky Bar and Dirty Martini, Public rooftop vs. Donovan House or Graham Hotel rooftops, Lucky Bar vs. Opera Lounge.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
Dowdy and tell someone to sizzle... You see, that right there makes me laugh but at the same time wonder where you are from...

Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:

It was mainly for the 10% defenders.. And I will even throw in a little something for you... from the financially fit report...

Education Vs. Fashion.... the two can co-exist.

Quote:
Despite its relatively light spending, Japn still had a high school graduation rate of 96%, the second best among all nations in 2010, while the percentage of its population with a tertiary education was 14 percentage points higher than the OECD’s average. Todai (short for "Tokyo daigaku") has produced 15 Japanese prime ministers. Founded in 1877 under the Meiji Emperor's "open door" policy, it was soon renamed Imperial University, but reverted to the original post-1945. Today, around 29,000 students attend its 12 faculties and 12 graduate schools. Eleven institutes research phenomena such as cosmic rays and earthquakes.
Quote:
Tokyo and its many sub-cultures also stand out as noteworthy incubators of innovative design and global fashion trends. .

Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 AM

490 posts, read 926,694 times
Quote:
There's more bowties and sweater vests here than most places but dressing nerdy is as much a fashion choice as dressing chic. Most here could care less about fashion either way. The general assumption, right or wrong, is that fashion is beneath them. They were never judged by it in their comp.etitive schools. I'd say DC isn't nearly as much like this as it used to be, though
Well said.......People in the D.C. area wear more Express, Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, A&F, GAP, Sperry shoes, Lacoste and more of the professional casual Preppy look.......anything outrageous your not going to find it here

Last edited by MrMaryland455; 08-14-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
It was mainly for the 10% defenders.. And I will even throw in a little something for you... from the financially fit report...

Education Vs. Fashion.... the two can co-exist.
I'm just explaining the prevailing attitude here without my personal value judgment on it. I really don't need "a little something for [me]" about how education and fashion can coexist. I'm not a moron and you're annoyingly smug about rather banal insights.

That said, there's a difference between being educated and being intelligent. Any culture can churn out people with degrees so your example doesn't really land anyway.

Quote:
You will see people carrying themselves differently between Lucky Bar and Dirty Martini, Public rooftop vs. Donovan House or Graham Hotel rooftops, Lucky Bar vs. Opera Lounge.
Here's my personal judgment on it: People do tend to put themselves together better at certain venues, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're particularly fashionable in relation to other major cities - maybe less dowdy by DC standards. Asians, Middle Easterners, AAs, and wealthier Hispanics tend to dress nicer when going out to clubs or trendier places here.

(I like that you listed Lucky Bar twice )

Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,365,580 times
Quote:
I'm just explaining the prevailing attitude here without my personal value judgment on it. I really don't need "a little something for [me]" about how education and fashion can coexist. I'm not a moron and you're annoyingly smug about rather banal insights.

That said, there's a difference between being educated and being intelligent. Any culture can churn out people with degrees so your example doesn't really land anyway.

Here's my personal judgment on it: People do tend to put themselves together better at certain venues, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're particularly fashionable in relation to other major cities - maybe less dowdy by DC standards. Asians, Middle Easterners, AAs, and wealthier Hispanics tend to dress nicer when going out to clubs or trendier places here.

(I like that you listed Lucky Bar twice )
Lol my bad, meant to say Lost Society -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC