Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM

95 posts, read 181,805 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Washington for the first time in few days with my family.
We'll stay near downtown (no plan to rent a car) for around a week.

I did my homework for museum, architectures, etc... but I'd love to get from the locals: what shouldn't be missed? to see, to visit, to eat (any good restaurant, no chains please as we can get them even here in TX :-) ).
Any suggestion would be very welcome! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Well, here is a description of 357 (or 221?) leading sights in Washington, including visitors' reviews and honest opinions on each sight
Washington DC Attractions: Check out 357 things to do in Washington DC with 26,449 reviews . As you can see, there is plenty to keep you all busy regardless of your particular interests, much of it centrally walkable.

Which hotel will you be at? What are all your ages, and your special interests or hobbies?

Be warned that our climate is very hot and humid. And although most of our museums and monuments are free of charge, other things like lodging, meals, and entertainment can be expensive, as you would expect in a sophisticated metropolis.

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-10-2012 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman11 View Post
I'm visiting Washington for the first time in few days with my family.
We'll stay near downtown (no plan to rent a car) for around a week.

I did my homework for museum, architectures, etc... but I'd love to get from the locals: what shouldn't be missed? to see, to visit, to eat (any good restaurant, no chains please as we can get them even here in TX :-) ).
Any suggestion would be very welcome! thanks!
Anacostia.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times
Moderator cut: personal
Anacostia is actually rich with DC history. If you have the chance, the Anacostia Community Museum is a great chance to absorb what makes DC what it is and has been Anacostia Community Museum

Anyway, depends on what you and your family are into. As slowlane3 pointed out, the humidity can make a day of sightseeing pretty awful depending on what you have planned but thankfully it's not so bad now if you're headed here soon. I'd try to make a run at the major Smithsonian museums - Air and Space, Natural History, etc. It could take you days just to get through them Museums and Zoo | Smithsonian most are free.

One of my favorite restaurants is Belga Cafe at Eastern Market but it depends on if you have kids or not. Still an easy walk from Metro.

Last edited by Yac; 08-13-2012 at 06:17 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 12:58 AM

163 posts, read 259,464 times
Adams Morgan, U street, Dupont Circle, H street NE, Georgetown, Eastern Market, Old Town Alexandria, National Harbor
Penn Quarter are places that are a must go.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 AM

95 posts, read 181,805 times
Thanks everybody for the advices!

Quote:
Which hotel will you be at? What are all your ages, and your special interests or hobbies?
We'll stay at a Homewood/Hilton in downtown, we're in our 40s and our son is a teen. We definitively like to visit museum, architecture and sightseeing, but when we visit a new town we like to see it's real side like we were planning to move there :-)
We've lived last year here in Texas, but we're originally from overseas, so the heat doesn't scare us, maybe will not like the humid a lot.
We like to try and taste any food available and meet new cultures, 360 degrees :-)

Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Washington, D.C. has a ton of good restaurants. What kinds of food and price range are you looking for?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-11-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM

54 posts, read 105,403 times
I would agree to go to Historic Anacostia. Plus the LOCAL restaurants in the area are really good. Sunny's Chinese out on Good Hope Road SE is a really good place to eat (carry out only sadly). They sell chinese as well as some really good burgers for a cheap price. The Neisha out in Wisconsin Ave is really good for Thai food as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:10 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman11 View Post
Thanks everybody for the advices!

We'll stay at a Homewood/Hilton in downtown, we're in our 40s and our son is a teen. We definitively like to visit museum, architecture and sightseeing, but when we visit a new town we like to see it's real side like we were planning to move there :-)
We've lived last year here in Texas, but we're originally from overseas, so the heat doesn't scare us, maybe will not like the humid a lot.
We like to try and taste any food available and meet new cultures, 360 degrees :-)
If you really want to get into DC, I would suggest going to a go-go. Go-go is this type of music native to DC, and it's something different you wouldn't experience in any other city/region.

I would recommend this place called Indulj on U Street, specifically on Saturday nights; they play go-go music there.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:13 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
"first time visiting: what shouldn't be missed?"

Your flight back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: