Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM

792 posts, read 2,878,821 times

Advertisements

Do people in DC like each other less than in other US cities?

I've never lived in a NE city before - if that's what DC is - so maybe that's it. I recall a lot of city weariness in Chicago, but the somewhat hostile vibe I think I feel here is a first. It's like people are just an inconvenience to each other. I hope I'm imagining this because this feeling is starting to bum me out. Maybe I'm just reading too many DC threads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,582,435 times
Give it time. By the 20th time you are walking up a Metro escalator and the person in front of you suddenly stops at the top of the escalator, for no apparent reason, and you almost run into him or her, you will start seeing certain people as "inconveniences."

Maybe it's true that Northeast cities are unfriendly compared to the rest of the country, but to me DC has never seemed any more or less friendly than New York, Boston or Philly.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,419,022 times
dc takes the cake on unfriendliness.
it doesn't compare to the northeast.
it's its own thing, the belly of the
beast literally.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,289,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Give it time. By the 20th time you are walking up a Metro escalator and the person in front of you suddenly stops at the top of the escalator, for no apparent reason, and you almost run into him or her, you will start seeing certain people as "inconveniences."

Maybe it's true that Northeast cities are unfriendly compared to the rest of the country, but to me DC has never seemed any more or less friendly than New York, Boston or Philly.
^ This. I'd say that DC is actually the friendliest Northeastern city (which isn't starting from that good of a benchmark), in part because it's slightly slower-moving (which, as a native New Yorker, drove me up the wall living there).

Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM

132 posts, read 356,030 times
Believe me, it's not your imagination. I used to think I was imaging all the bad attitudes also, but Travel and Leisure has confirmed that people in this city are just simply rude. DC is ranked number 3 among the rudest cities in the US. Take a look: America's Rudest Cities - Articles | Travel + Leisure

All you can do is prepare yourself for the impatient honkers on the road, the people who will bump you out of their way on the side walks, metro riders yelling at you to "walk on the right", people who will look at you like you're crazy if you say good morning, people who will shut the elevator door on you if they see you headed their way, and the list goes on. Welcome!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,582,435 times
The Travel and Leisure study does not confirm anything. It's just a survey of readers of that magazine. Pretty meaningless.

Also any city with lots of public transportation use and walking will be considered somewhat more rude by the average visitor. That is simply because in places like New York you are with your fellow man in tight spaces more often, giving you more opportunities to see acts of rudeness. In most American cities people drive
everywhere so you physically can't see acts of rudeness beyond poor driving etiquette or road rage.

I guarantee you if people rode public transportation and walked in Houston and Atlanta as much as Nyc or DC you would hear about how rude Houston or Atlanta are. Maybe due to Southern culture they would still be seen as less rude than the Northeast but the perception of rudeness would still go up.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,464,078 times
Most of the people you run into don't live here. Highest ratio of any city. So that guy pushing by you without so much as an excuse me is probably from MD, VA etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
The Travel and Leisure study does not confirm anything. It's just a survey of readers of that magazine. Pretty meaningless.
Even further, it's a survey of mostly tourists, going mostly to touristy destinations, populated mostly by tourists.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,289,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Even further, it's a survey of mostly tourists, going mostly to touristy destinations, populated mostly by tourists.
…who are probably standing on the left side of the escalator, pushing doors open or stop right in the doorway so no one else can get on.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,894,108 times
Nah, don't let metro commuters and surly forum posters bring you down. As a counter to the above, DC was named as the happiest city last year: Happy? If you live around here, probably - WTOP Mobile

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,498,468 times
Nobody gives a crap around here, everybodys just out for themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: