Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM

22 posts, read 54,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
Aside from the lively street life, Dupont Circle is a historic district. So, it is filled with charm and interesting architecture.

I was refering to THIS ONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,621,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Has Dupont ever been middle class?
I dunno. In the 1930s Georgetown was a slum, before the Georgetown set gentrified it. I dont think Dupont ever went that far downhill, but I suspect in the 1950s and early 1960s at least it was pretty affordable.

wiki says the following (but their source link is dead)

"The neighborhood began to decline after World War II and the 1968 riots, but began to enjoy a resurgence in the 1970s, fueled by urban pioneers seeking an alternative lifestyle. The neighborhood took on a bohemian feel and became an area popular among the gay and lesbian community. Along with The Castro in San Francisco, Hillcrest in San Diego, Greenwich Village in New York City, Boystown in Chicago, Oak Lawn in Dallas, Montrose in Houston, and West Hollywood in Los Angeles, Dupont Circle is considered a historic locale in the development of American gay identity. D.C.'s first gay bookstore, Lambda Rising, opened in 1974 and has gained notoriety nationwide.[14] In 1975, the store ran the world's first gay-oriented television commercial.[15]
Gentrification accelerated in the 1980s and 1990s, and the area is now a more mainstream and trendy location with coffeehouses, restaurants, bars, and upscale retail stores."

Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM

227 posts, read 400,331 times
Dupont is not middle class!
I cant park my 10 person van in there!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,206,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, to be fair, the mere existence of mansions doesn't mean the upper class has always lived there. The mansions surrounding Logan Circle were once derelict, for example, and the rowhouses of Bloomingdale and Ledroit didn't always host the city's affluent residents.

Back in the 70s and 80s, Dupont wasn't as high-end as it is now. I don't think you could ever call it "middle class," but many working professionals could buy into the neighborhood then. You can't say that now.
Dupont Circle never suffered the way Logan Circle did. Historically, it was a place for DC's elite, including AA's. Do a Google search on Dupont Circle's Striver's Section.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,594,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Dupont Circle never suffered the way Logan Circle did. Historically, it was a place for DC's elite, including AA's. Do a Google search on Dupont Circle's Striver's Section.
Believe me, I know all about Dupont's history. And I know that it never reached the levels of Logan in terms of urban decay. My post was not a comparison between the two. It was a response to your comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest
It's always been a place for Washington's elite. The mansions are a dead giveaway.
I was pointing out that the mere existence of mansions does not mean that a particular neighborhood has always been the home of Washington's elite. Logan, Ledroit, and Bloomingdale's neglected mansions, to name but a few neighborhoods, dispel that notion.

But with regards to Dupont, now and during the early part of the 20th century it certainly served as one of DC's most prestigious addresses. But it's wrong to suggest that the neighborhood didn't suffer some ill effects from the overall abandonment of the center city experienced during the mid-20th century. It may never have become as derelict as Logan, but nor was it the uber-high end affluent neighborhood it is today. I have relatives who lived just off of the Circle during the 1970s, and it was indeed quite a different neighborhood than today's iteration. Not middle class per se, but certainly more "bohemian"-esque and not as high-end.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM

246 posts, read 591,723 times
This may be the weirdest thread yet. To answer the question, yes, I have been there. In fact, I think that if you have not been to Dupont Circle, you are probably not qualified to give any advice about DC. And, if you haven't heard of Dupont Circle, you probably shouldn't consider moving to DC because you are not ready. It is probably the most known neighborhoods in the city.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 PM

353 posts, read 1,265,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post
Have any of you stayed or visited here?

It is a very nice place to visit or stay if youy can afford it!

Dupont Circle is one of Washington's many nice sections in the city. It is always bustling with tourists, travelers and residents alike!

There are many things to see and do here. You are never more than a short walk from a place to eat!! Lots and lots of restaurants here at which to dine. Several hotelsn to stay at and stores to shop in.

The area thrives with businesses all up and down the streets. It is a middle-class neighborhood where people live, commute and dine all day and late into the night.

The WMATA's Metro Red Line Subway serves the area to make commuting easy, along with the Metro busses to get you up and down the streets with ease. I really like the area and stay there whenever I go to Washington to visit there!!
I'm trying to understand what's going on here. I'm guessing you're a teenager excited about a different city. Have you visited before and are considering moving there? If you're someone from out of town you may want to consider other DC neighborhoods as well. Each is different in its own way.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 AM

656 posts, read 651,054 times
Dupont is one of DC's most beautiful hoods. It is a also VERY gay. If seeing two women holding hands bothers you, move on.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,045,773 times
DuPont was pretty fringy and run down in the late 70s and early 80s. The gay population moved in because nobody cared.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM

33 posts, read 83,111 times
Personally I feel Dupont is overrated. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and coffee shops in the area, but only a few of them are memorable. For the most part, the neighborhood is filled with big chains like Cosi, Starbucks, etc. Even many of the independent places just serve mediocore food. The main draw of Dupont, in my view, is the people. There are plenty of 20 and 30something attractive women, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC