Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM

62 posts, read 106,965 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving there. Anything you have to say about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 02:56 PM

27,594 posts, read 28,700,475 times
It's a city. I know that much.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 PM

370 posts, read 1,565,420 times
No, it's ok with me??!!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,249,535 times
Rockville is an okay place. It is a nice suburb from my understanding. I was visiting someone in downtown Rockville last weekend. It seemed like an okay place to live very quiet and there's a metro.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edamron View Post
Thinking of moving there. Anything you have to say about it?
It's gone downhill. It's very expensive to live in and crime has slowly creeped up.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,249,535 times
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say its going downhill. Downtown Rockville seemed nice to me. From my understanding ALL of Montgomery county has its good pockets and its bad pockets but let's not scare anyone. Rockville is a nice suburban place.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
It's gone downhill. It's very expensive to live in and crime has slowly creeped up.
I love it when people make blanket statements that are just flat-out wrong. No, crime has *not* been creeping up in Rockville. Crime has been declining for a decade in Rockville, even as the population has grown.

Overall Crime Declines in Rockville

Year-End Crime Analysis Statistical Report

Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM

27,594 posts, read 28,700,475 times
I would call Rockville semi-affluent. It's not at the level of Bethesda or McLean. But it's considerably above average for the D.C. area overall.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I love it when people make blanket statements that are just flat-out wrong. No, crime has *not* been creeping up in Rockville. Crime has been declining for a decade in Rockville, even as the population has grown.

Overall Crime Declines in Rockville

Year-End Crime Analysis Statistical Report
Directly from the site (http://www.rockvillemd.gov/government/strategicscan/chapter_7/ch_7_p1_public_safety - broken link) you referenced:

Quote:
According to interviews with Rockville Police staff, however, less serious Part 2 offenses (which include offenses such as simple assault and property theft) have been increasing in recent years, although data on these crimes is not currently available. The 2008 COG Annual Report on Crime and Crime Control concurs with this finding within the region as well. Aggravated assaults was the only Part 1 crime to increase in Rockville in 2009.

Calls for police service have steadily increased as Rockville’s population has grown, density has increased, and Part 2 crimes have increased. According to Rockville Police staff, higher density and mixed-use development has an impact on the way policing occurs and presents different challenges than less dense development with homogerous uses.
Yes I understand overall crime is down, but there are still crimes that people are not comfortable with that are increasing. Even though crime like simple assault and property theft, may not be a big deal to you, it may be a big deal to others. I never said Rockville was the 'hood, or that it was the pits, but it's certainly seeing a little bit of a change. And of course I made a general statement about Rockville, this thread wasn't meant to be that specific. The OP asked what do we have to say. I expressed my opinion. And by the way there is nothing in the report that indicates that crime has been declining for a decade. As a matter of fact if you look at the charts on the page that I linked to you can see crime rose in 2003 and 2006. Who's really making blanket statements?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Directly from the site (http://www.rockvillemd.gov/government/strategicscan/chapter_7/ch_7_p1_public_safety - broken link) you referenced:
From the specific link I referenced (which relates to 2010 crime levels, the most recent stats available):

Quote:
Data show that overall crime within city limits for the first half of 2010 was down 4 percent compared to the first half of 2009. In 2009, statistics showed a 6 percent decrease from 2008, and data from 2008 showed a 2 percent decrease from 2007.

The data released in March show an overall decrease in all crimes. Serious crimes, or Part 1 crimes, showed a slight increase by 2 percent, while Part 2 crimes, were down 7 percent...While there was some increase in the number of robberies, there were significant decreases in other serious crimes across the city.
Quote:
Yes I understand overall crime is down, but there are still crimes that people are not comfortable with that are increasing. Even though crime like simple assault and property theft, may not be a big deal to you, it may be a big deal to others.
Where did I say crime wasn't a big deal? I simply said your statement that "crime has slowly creeped up" was incorrect. And, as indicated by the above referenced report, crimes such as simple assault and property theft are down by 7%.

Quote:
I expressed my opinion.
Actually, what you expressed was the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins
crime has slowly creeped up.
Which is directly contradicted by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofRockville
The data released in March show an overall decrease in all crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC