Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM

147 posts, read 219,311 times

Advertisements

I am about to accept a job in Rockville which will be incredible for my career. It is not easy to find an apartment, that's for sure.

Regardless, I seem to have found one in Germantown in my budget and it seems to be pretty close to Rockville, from what I understand. Hopefully GT is a nice area.

My question is in regards to the social culture in the DC area. Is it true that the folks have a tendency towards being 'uppity' and/or standoffish? I certainly hope not. I am an outgoing, funny and smart single woman who is excited about this amazing opportunity. I am also interested in meeting other active and like-minded folks. Any words of advice for me? I am not reading very many positive things about this specific area of concern for me.

Thank you for any advice or guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 03:59 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,715,045 times
There are a lot of those types in DC. And you might think the area is flooded with them because people who complain about something (myself included) are usually more vocal than people who aren't complaining.

But honestly, there are some good folks here. It might take a while to find them, but you'll find them. Truth be told most women here are 'outgoing, funny, smart and single.' The problem is a lot are cliquish. Just find the men and women who don't outcast you if you didn't go to an Ivy League and don't earn six figures.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Just find the men and women who don't outcast you if you didn't go to an Ivy League and don't earn six figures.

Oh God...I will never relate with that mentality. I don't have the energy to try, either. If I have to wade through that type of BS, I will end up hiding in my apartment and eating Cheezits all day. Oh man....

Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,715,045 times
You may or may not have to wade through it... part of it is going to places that don't attract those wanna be type-As (since if they were truly type-A, they wouldn't feel the need to validate themselves by being like that )

Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
You may or may not have to wade through it... part of it is going to places that don't attract those wanna be type-As (since if they were truly type-A, they wouldn't feel the need to validate themselves by being like that )
Great point! But I am hearing a general message about DC: it tends to be a place that one strives for or 'needs' status approval. Denver can be like that, too, I guess.

I suppose I will find it no matter where I go. I will hopefully attract some like-minded folks and hopefully find some neutrality.

I have no idea where to go to attract (or better yet, avoid) those 'wanna-be(s)', but I can certainly be open to learning.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 PM

214 posts, read 488,776 times
Germantown is nice but very suburban/family...there aren't really many singles who live there. Just FYI.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
Germantown is nice but very suburban/family...there aren't really many singles who live there. Just FYI.

Hmmm....very good information, indeed. Thank you. I will keep in mind when I head out there next week.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 PM

27,688 posts, read 28,796,163 times
Rockville is a nice city/suburb of DC. It has a large number of office buildings, restaurants, shopping complexes, apartment towers and residential areas. A lot of younger people are in the area too. I think you'll like it.

Germantown is alright, but I would recommend living in Rockville if you can afford it.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Rockville is a nice city/suburb of DC. It has a large number of office buildings, restaurants, shopping complexes, apartment towers and residential areas. A lot of younger people are in the area too. I think you'll like it.

Germantown is alright, but I would recommend living in Rockville if you can afford it.
Thank you! I am eager to see it all when I come out. It's a big change no matter how you look at it.

You are all so wonderfully helpful.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,705 times
Hi am a new member, as student at AU, I am in a wheelchair and looking for housing near the College of Law not exceeding $1000. I have a restricted budget. Could anyone be knowing of any apartments near AU that are wheelchair accessible. You can also reach me on; [EMAIL="medsengo@yahoo.co.uk"]medsengo@yahoo.co.uk[/EMAIL].

Med
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC