Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,744,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageChristmas View Post
OR if you live in Baltimore, and work in DC, you can skip all the nonsense and get in your car and drive one hour to work everyday as I have for the past 5 years because the current system would take over 3 hours including transfers. Enough said!!!! WMATA Metrorail needs to expand to downtown Baltimore ---- to DC
...or you can live in the same region you work in.... I'm not interested in paying $10 billion+ so that your nonsensical commute is a bit easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 PM

961 posts, read 2,038,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Huh? No. Metro, if anything, already travels too far away from the DC core. Extending it to Baltimore not only would cost tens of billions of dollars, it also would defeat the whole purpose of the system. It's a local, DC area subway system. Amtrak and MARC on the other hand, are interregional heavy rail lines that are built to be exactly what you describe. Turning Metro into a redundant MARC doesn't make any sense. It's akin to turning your local neighborhood bus line into a bus between DC and Baltimore; it destroys the whole purpose of your neighborhood bus while also not adding any new service since there's already another bus line that runs between the two cities.
I'd rather see a connection web than extensions. Rather than a metro to Germantown or WhiteOak, I'd like to see Grovesnor connect to say, Dulles, or something like that.

How do other dense metro systems work? In Paris or NYC do you have to go into the City Center to switch lines?

I think the purple line is the right thinking. Right now it's only EW highway connecting the two.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:35 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,298,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I'd rather see a connection web than extensions. Rather than a metro to Germantown or WhiteOak, I'd like to see Grovesnor connect to say, Dulles, or something like that.

How do other dense metro systems work? In Paris or NYC do you have to go into the City Center to switch lines?

I think the purple line is the right thinking. Right now it's only EW highway connecting the two.
Could be because Metro is a downtown-centric hub-and-spoke system like San Francisco.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:19 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,503,368 times
Oh no. Metro is for local DC MD and VA surrounding suburbs. Who wants to ride an hour on the subway? I hope the proposed Red Line will help beef up Baltimore's transit system.

Last edited by choccity; 10-18-2014 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM

15,497 posts, read 26,064,645 times
Why doesn't anyone ever suggest the MTA extend service to Greenbelt? Why should WMATA do it?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 PM

605 posts, read 678,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever suggest the MTA extend service to Greenbelt? Why should WMATA do it?
MTA already serves Greenbelt through the Camden Line of the MARC Commuter Rail network.

MARC Station Information | Maryland Transit Administration

Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 AM

15,497 posts, read 26,064,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
MTA already serves Greenbelt through the Camden Line of the MARC Commuter Rail network.

MARC Station Information | Maryland Transit Administration
I knew that. So, if they already serve then why the request to extend Metro? Just take MARC. If there's not enough service on MARC, fix MARC.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM

8,352 posts, read 13,626,340 times
One thing that should happen (and I believe is in the long term plans of the MTA) is to have a few MARC Trains run through Union Station to atleast L'Enfant Plaza. That would take some pressure off of Union Station. The other option would be to build a MARC Station somewhere in southwest/Navy Yard area and let some MARC trains switch off the Northeast Corridor south of New Carrollton and go to that location as a terminal possibly along S. Capitol Street. CSX would hate that.. but it would give more options to travelers in bypassing Union Station for other sections of the District.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM

11,114 posts, read 24,132,183 times
I agree with everybody that METRO is far enough out.

It sure would be nice if MARC were fare more comprehensive and ran more often (off peak and weekends). MARC should be more like METRA in Chicago.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:45 PM

35 posts, read 73,404 times
Yes, they should. Of course, the larger hubs would be in the DC metro area, since it is much larger population wise, but Baltimore should have a fairly big hub, too. Though this would make the WMTA function as the MARC, spanning over most of central Maryland, putting MARC out of business. That would cause massive job loss as it causes massive job gains for WMTA. So for now, lets just keep WMTA in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland