Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM

191 posts, read 697,939 times

Advertisements

I don't need to buy a car right now, could probably wait a year or two but can't help thinking that maybe now might be a good time to get a deal on something. My ideal is a hardtop convertible with some backseat space for groceries/baggage, reliable and a good long term investment as I prefer to own a car for a long time (current Dodge Avenger owned for over 10yrs). Also, I plan to move from NJ to La so something that would be good in snow and great for a weekend getaway cruiser would be best.

So…I found a local Volvo dealer offering a ‘sale’ on a 2008 C70 courtesy car with about 5200 miles on it. My question is, is it worthwhile to consider a purchase on such a car now (I really like the looks of this model best compared to others) or hold on to my current car for a while longer and seek out a pre-owned later on and save on depreciation. The salesman got back to my email – hasn’t divulged their price but is asking what $ I’m looking for and I honestly have no clue what would be a fair offer considering the current market – retail price is $44,395 with some upgrades like leather/Sirius/Auto, Base 2008 MSRP: $39,240 Invoice: $36,886. I will say that the one thing that gets my attention is that this car is the exact color combo I’m looking for and have not seen many out there so far. What do you guys think and what would you offer if you chose to buy? BTW, I have excellent credit and would put about $10K down if that makes any difference.

Also – if anyone has or know of someone who has had any bad experiences/issues with this model – please let me know. All the reviews I’ve seen are good – but I try not to believe everything I read.

Thanks for your comments!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
Volvos are pretty pricey to fix and maintain compared to your avenger. Be forwarned.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
I don't need to buy a car right now, could probably wait a year or two but can't help thinking that maybe now might be a good time to get a deal on something. My ideal is a hardtop convertible with some backseat space for groceries/baggage, reliable and a good long term investment as I prefer to own a car for a long time (current Dodge Avenger owned for over 10yrs). Also, I plan to move from NJ to La so something that would be good in snow and great for a weekend getaway cruiser would be best.

So…I found a local Volvo dealer offering a ‘sale’ on a 2008 C70 courtesy car with about 5200 miles on it. My question is, is it worthwhile to consider a purchase on such a car now (I really like the looks of this model best compared to others) or hold on to my current car for a while longer and seek out a pre-owned later on and save on depreciation. The salesman got back to my email – hasn’t divulged their price but is asking what $ I’m looking for and I honestly have no clue what would be a fair offer considering the current market – retail price is $44,395 with some upgrades like leather/Sirius/Auto, Base 2008 MSRP: $39,240 Invoice: $36,886. I will say that the one thing that gets my attention is that this car is the exact color combo I’m looking for and have not seen many out there so far. What do you guys think and what would you offer if you chose to buy? BTW, I have excellent credit and would put about $10K down if that makes any difference.

Also – if anyone has or know of someone who has had any bad experiences/issues with this model – please let me know. All the reviews I’ve seen are good – but I try not to believe everything I read.

Thanks for your comments!!!
A "courtesy car" is nothing more than a rental. I have a big problem with that since we all know how most people treat rentals.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
IMHO wait till you get to CA to buy a car, I tend to keep cars a long time and to me a rust-free body is a big deal. If I'm looking at a car to possibly buy, nothing will make me less likely to buy than any sign it's been driven in salt country. These cars are rare enough here that I don't lose much by ignoring them when shopping.

Maybe someone from CA will chime in on registering a non-CA car in CA with the smog checks there. This may or may not be a problem. I'm assuming La means Los Angeles - maybe you mean Louisiana?

All that said, from what I read about the C70 in Consumer Reports, it's a good car.

The salesman is being a car salesman. Something to think about, if no one buys the car till the last week of the year, the week after Christmas, that's usually the best week of the year to buy due to sales goals, end of year stuff, and the fact that most people have spent out on Christmas, so are not shopping.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM

191 posts, read 697,939 times
Thanks for all your replies so far - the whole 'courtesy car' thing does concern me a little. I know that it would be more costly to fix but I haven't found much else that I like and am trying to decide if I'd rather spend good money on something that I don't much care for but may be more practical or spend a little more on something that appeals to me and that I could live with for a while. I was initially planning a move maybe next year but now not so sure if it may be a few years. (La = Louisiana)

Waiting until after Christmas sounds like a smart idea since I’m not in a hurry.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo