Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted an '02 WS-6 but up the road there is an '01 F'bird convertible. I stopped last night and looked at it. Nice little car!! Not exactly what I want, but it's close. The right color and everything......

So, I'm not sure if I want to get it or not. I've got an '01 Eclipse GT that I am totally in love with. I know if I get rid of it I'll cry. It's got nice power for such a little car - that 3.0 V6 is nice!! And I've got a '93 Miata that's a project car. It was a birthday present and I found so many mods I wanted to do to it.

The problem is hubby has set a 2 car limit for me. So if I want it, I've got to give up one of my cars. I'm thinking of being ultra sneaky and giving up both that I have now and getting the Firebird and getting the Wrangler this summer I want. The Firebird is a sports car (Eclipse) and a convertible(Miata) so it's kind of like combining them in one. I'm just wondering if the Firebird (standard, not RamAir or WS-6) will have the power my Eclipse does. If not, it's no deal. I'd rather just wait for the WS-6.

So, thoughts? Will the Firebird be as quick as the Eclipse? You punch the gas on that little Eclipse and it's like a rocket getting on and off the interstate and zipping around corners. Am I going to miss that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
While the V6 in your eclipse is pretty underpowered by todays standards, the Firebird 3.8L six outputs pretty much the same 200 horses. I believe the Firebird is a few hundred pounds heavier so you can expect diluted performance. If you like the way the Firebird looks and don't care for performance then go for it although IMO a V6 has no place in a Camaro/Firebird when they come with such a wonderful V8. I'd go for a 2001 LS1 V8 Camaro if you can stand the ugly interior.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
I would wait for a nice clean WS-6 trans-am you really want to come along

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've always wanted an '02 WS-6 but up the road there is an '01 F'bird convertible. I stopped last night and looked at it. Nice little car!! Not exactly what I want, but it's close. The right color and everything......

So, I'm not sure if I want to get it or not. I've got an '01 Eclipse GT that I am totally in love with. I know if I get rid of it I'll cry. It's got nice power for such a little car - that 3.0 V6 is nice!! And I've got a '93 Miata that's a project car. It was a birthday present and I found so many mods I wanted to do to it.

The problem is hubby has set a 2 car limit for me. So if I want it, I've got to give up one of my cars. I'm thinking of being ultra sneaky and giving up both that I have now and getting the Firebird and getting the Wrangler this summer I want. The Firebird is a sports car (Eclipse) and a convertible(Miata) so it's kind of like combining them in one. I'm just wondering if the Firebird (standard, not RamAir or WS-6) will have the power my Eclipse does. If not, it's no deal. I'd rather just wait for the WS-6.

So, thoughts? Will the Firebird be as quick as the Eclipse? You punch the gas on that little Eclipse and it's like a rocket getting on and off the interstate and zipping around corners. Am I going to miss that?
I looked up the 0-60 times, and quarter mile times for both vehicles....

Your Eclipse: 0-60 in 7.0 seconds, 15.4 seconds in the quarter mile.

The Firebird: 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, 15.5 in the quarter mile.

In other words, they are pretty much exactly the same in terms of acceleration.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Well, now you have me even more torn. I know the Firebird is heavier, which is why I questioned the power issue. And yes, that is very important to me. So I didn't think I'd be happy with it. But if the times are that close I'm wondering if I'd notice.

Maybe I'll head over tomorrow and test drive it. I've held off, afraid I'd like it even though it's not as powerful as I want and make a decision I'd regret later. *sigh*

Why can't I have more than 2 cars!! Sheesh!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Wait for a WS-6 to come along. If you already have a car you love no sense in trading it off for something that may not live up to that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive