Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I was going to suggest the Lexus CT200h and the RX400h, last night, but then opted not to bother responding to the thread, since the comparison to Rolls-Royce is hilarious because Rollers are more reliable now than they were in previous generations.
You mean since BMW took them over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Subaru seems to have become a brand of choice for the urban or intellectual upper-middle/upper class. Because of this, I have the impression Subaru's are quality, premium vehicles that are vastly understated. Despite these facts, I have yet to find any appeal in said vehicles. That said, I'm not sure which other brands are still so narrowly or exclusively coveted by the aforementioned set. Although, the classic European brands are still common within this demographic.

What's interesting about Volvo is Ford mostly used Volvo's intellectual property to improve their existing vehicles, while Volvos stayed Volvos. Despite that fact, the new generation of Volvos that were produced beginning with the 1999 S80 had tremendous problems and the early S80 is perhaps the single most troublesome and flawed vehicle in recent history. Feel free to look up reviews regarding early S80s, you'll see my point. Although Volvo's vehicles still retain the superior ergonomic seat design with headrests designed to prevent whiplash. Another interesting fact about Volvo is that pre-Ford redesign, the cars ran forever BUT had terrible material quality. The seating material and paint, for example, was horrid! Post-1998, that has changed. As for whether the new Volvos have become reliable and shaken their initial issues, I do not know.

On the other hand, Saab, which GM turned into GM cars (GM chassis/platforms), had become highly-reliable vehicles that are reaching very high mileage, despite using GM engines (same blocks, different components and tuning). Early 9-5s and 9-3s did have problems, BUT they were resolved within a few years. For example, the 9-3 which came out in 2003 had tremendous problems, but by 2005 they were HIGHLY reliable. Feel free to research to validate. Saab owners also regularly recognize their cars as still being quirky and fun to drive, having good acceleration and handling.

As for all the talk in this thread about Liberal Democrats, I think most of those individuals are hypocrites in that they often choose foreign-built cars VS American-built, despite claiming to be rooting for the working class and despite defending the bailouts. They also constantly slam Republicans and demeaningly suggest the working-class is voting against their own economic interests by voting for Republicans, while failing to acknowledge Republican, business-friendly politics are the reason the foreign automakers have created an auto industry with good paying jobs, despite not being union, in the Southeastern part of this country.

-

Oh, and I forgot to add - Gloria, if you are part of the class you speak of, why haven't you gathered the knowledge you seek through your friends and network?
I like your post except I disagree that Saab ever reached the status of reliable, pre or post-GM. My friends that have pre-GM Saabs always have a spare car to drive because their Saab is in the shop several times a year for unscheduled maintenance. They like driving them, but they don't get to very often.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I like your post except I disagree that Saab ever reached the status of reliable, pre or post-GM. My friends that have pre-GM Saabs always have a spare car to drive because their Saab is in the shop several times a year for unscheduled maintenance. They like driving them, but they don't get to very often.
2005+ 9-3's, 2004+ 9-5's are good cars. The problems got worked out. If you care enough, dive into the owner reviews and see for yourself.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I was going to suggest the Lexus CT200h and the RX400h, last night, but then opted not to bother responding to the thread, since the comparison to Rolls-Royce is hilarious because Rollers are more reliable now than they were in previous generations.
We see a good many CT200h around here. NJGoat's excellent analysis is making me think I should get one (and hire Goat for R&D). As for my Rolls Royce reliability reference, I was speaking of the generations preceding the Cloud, not those immediately preceding the new Phantom. Except for rust issues following WWII, those simpler Royces from simpler times were astonishingly durable. I can attest to the utter reliability of the new Ghost, since I had one for about a year, with not one single hint of malfunction, until it disappeared, so that Santa could put something even more exciting in its place. Who can blame Santa? We were in Milan when the one replacing the RR made its debut. I looked it over, and then dragged DH back to the Principe de Savoia. It was one of those "I want you. I want you now." moments. I was simply smitten by the car, like Mr. Toad, in Wind in the Willows.

The new car I can't tell you much about, since I mostly just stand in its (dehumidified...with UV-block windows) garage, looking at it. I think it wants me to slip C-Notes into its G-string. Anyway, we mostly just use the car as a playpen. It's like we're 17 again...only with better bodies. The leather is sort of a Lobster Bisque kind of color, which is exceedingly practical, as it turns out...

Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The new car I can't tell you much about, since I mostly just stand in its (dehumidified...with UV-block windows) garage, looking at it. I think it wants me to slip C-Notes into its G-string. Anyway, we mostly just use the car as a playpen. It's like we're 17 again...only with better bodies. The leather is sort of a Lobster Bisque kind of color, which is exceedingly practical, as it turns out...

Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
We see a good many CT200h around here. NJGoat's excellent analysis is making me think I should get one (and hire Goat for R&D). As for my Rolls Royce reliability reference, I was speaking of the generations preceding the Cloud, not those immediately preceding the new Phantom. Except for rust issues following WWII, those simpler Royces from simpler times were astonishingly durable. I can attest to the utter reliability of the new Ghost, since I had one for about a year, with not one single hint of malfunction, until it disappeared, so that Santa could put something even more exciting in its place. Who can blame Santa? We were in Milan when the one replacing the RR made its debut. I looked it over, and then dragged DH back to the Principe de Savoia. It was one of those "I want you. I want you now." moments. I was simply smitten by the car, like Mr. Toad, in Wind in the Willows.

I would be lieing if I said I wasn't for sale. I would be open to any opportunity short of cleaning the leather in your cars. Of course I don't come cheap and would also require an appropriately pompous title. Perhaps we could discuss it over dinner at Acanto and drinks at the Il Salotto lounge? Unless of course you prefer to conduct these kinds of meetings "at the office". Travel, accomodations, dinner and drinks on you, witty conversation on me.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
This is a quality thread. Should be stickied.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
My parents had TWO Volvos when I was growing up. I knew I was something special. Confirmed!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:

Maybe I was too harsh..............this is becoming a cross between what Don Sherman and "the World's Most Interesting Man" would describe in their quest for auto ownership nirvana

Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Maybe I was too harsh..............this is becoming a cross between what Don Sherman and "the World's Most Interesting Man" would describe in their quest for auto ownership nirvana
I don't always drive; but when I do, I drive a Lexus CT200h.

I don't always make love; but when I do, I do it in the backseat of a Rolls Royce Spirit of Ecstacy Centenary Phantom.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo