Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
German people are cold, arrogant, self-absorbed and rude. Don't believe me? Go there--you will not be accepted. Plus their food sucks.

And their cars are overrated, overpriced and full of problems.
Wow, stereotying in two dimensions in one post. Way to go johnfrisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
My ex-gf had two Jetta's and '07 and a '12. The one from 2012 looked like a royal POS and the engine was weak. At the time my '04 Malibu looked more cutting edge for styling sake.

She said he family has been extremely loyal to VW through the years. I honestly never understood why anybody would be when Audi only costs an extra few G's over a moderate trim line VW.
Isn't Audi owned by VW?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Isn't Audi owned by VW?
Yes. So are Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, Seat, Skoda and i keep thinking one more...but maybe that was all.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Yes. So are Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, Seat, Skoda and i keep thinking one more...but maybe that was all.
Bugatti......

Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Your first mistake was buying a VW. Your second mistake was not dumping it at the first sign of trouble.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
In my driving (Passat R36 in Germany and the VW CC here) with the VW DSG. I've found it to be disappointing and disengaging. If I'm getting a VW. It has to be a manual. There is nothing you could do to make me settle for the DSG. The manual transmission though is splendid. The Passat W8 4Motion with the manual is still my favorite VW badged vehicle of all time.
The Passat W8 4Motion is sweet!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 AM

458 posts, read 1,248,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
In my driving (Passat R36 in Germany and the VW CC here) with the VW DSG. I've found it to be disappointing and disengaging. If I'm getting a VW. It has to be a manual. There is nothing you could do to make me settle for the DSG. The manual transmission though is splendid. The Passat W8 4Motion with the manual is still my favorite VW badged vehicle of all time.
I would not say that's a fair review, you're basically stating the obvious, that it's not a manual. We know it's not a manual, it's a dual clutch auto. Review it for what it is. And for what it is, it does it's job very well. Of course it's not as "engaging" as a manual, there's no clutch! Because it's not a manual!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
The Passat W8 4Motion is sweet!
Lol yeah like those sweet timing chains and plactic chain rails mounted between the engine and the transmission. Have fun paying for that repair when one of those bits of plastic calls it quits. I would like to meet the moron who thought putting the timing chains at the back of the engine was a good idea.

And if you though VAG stupidity was limited to VWs, here come the Audi S4 timing chains also on the back of the engine.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
I would not say that's a fair review, you're basically stating the obvious, that it's not a manual. We know it's not a manual, it's a dual clutch auto. Review it for what it is. And for what it is, it does it's job very well. Of course it's not as "engaging" as a manual, there's no clutch! Because it's not a manual!
You can cry bloody murder all you like for I really couldn't be arsed. I did review for what it is. It's not going to get the Special Olympics treatment from me. I judge them for what they are. It's a transmission. I also judge them for their contributions towards the overall vehicle. I was not impressed. Driving a DSG VW pales in comparison to their manual counterparts in my opinion and the transmissions are the guilty party.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Lol yeah like those sweet timing chains and plactic chain rails mounted between the engine and the transmission. Have fun paying for that repair when one of those bits of plastic calls it quits. I would like to meet the moron who thought putting the timing chains at the back of the engine was a good idea.

And if you though VAG stupidity was limited to VWs, here come the Audi S4 timing chains also on the back of the engine.
Glad I have a 1.8T, bit simpler. Those W8 Passats are sweet to drive though, although I wouldn't want to dig into that engine. It's along the line of thinking for them putting plastic impellers in the water pump, I know why they did it, just wasn't such a good idea to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen