Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 AM

458 posts, read 1,252,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
-Yes VW's here are assembled in Mexico, and subsequently have had build quality issues
Current Golf models (including GTI and R) are assembled and shipped to the U.S. from Germany. Are there model years where they weren't?

I believe the new Passats are assembled in the U.S.? Can someone confirm that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 AM

2,783 posts, read 5,187,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
Current Golf models (including GTI and R) are assembled and shipped to the U.S. from Germany. Are there model years where they weren't?

I know for sure that the new Passats (2012 and newer) sold in US are a Tennessee made vehicle.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,048,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post

I know for a fact that MkV Golf/Rabbits and MkVI Golfs were manufactured in Germany. The new MkVII Golf will be coming from Mexico, but I'm unsure if that is for limited production, or full fledged production. With the exception of my headliner issue (which seemed to be Jetta specific) I haven't noticed any problems from the Mexico assembly plant location yet.

Honestly, I'd have really loved to get into a Passat TDI as opposed to my Jetta, but I couldn't get the dealership to work with me on the price.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I know for a fact that MkV Golf/Rabbits and MkVI Golfs were manufactured in Germany. The new MkVII Golf will be coming from Mexico, but I'm unsure if that is for limited production, or full fledged production. With the exception of my headliner issue (which seemed to be Jetta specific) I haven't noticed any problems from the Mexico assembly plant location yet.

Honestly, I'd have really loved to get into a Passat TDI as opposed to my Jetta, but I couldn't get the dealership to work with me on the price.
Yea I know my MkVI GTI (2012) came from Germany. I was almost certain MkV were from Germany too.

That's disappointing about the MkVII. I had heard about that but wasn't sure if it was true or not. Seems like the Mexico plant has sorted out the problems but time will tell I guess. I wouldn't buy a MkVII for several years anyways

Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM

13,517 posts, read 17,076,576 times
I always loved VW's in terms of asthetics, but I don't know anyone who owned one who wasn't bled dry by the frequency and cost of repairs. One friend had a beautiful new Passat and the engine seized for no apparent reason. Car was fully under warranty and the company tried not to honor it. A bunch of my wifes friends have/had Jettas and they all complain about how often they are in the shop.

If you buy a reliable car, then it is worth buying. I've always had Hondas, Subaru's, and Toyotas, so I buy.

If you are talking cars with questionable reliabilty or really high mtc costs, then yes a lease makes sense.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM

534 posts, read 2,412,404 times
They got me too. Lifetime VW fan (old ones). Last year i made the mistake of buying a 2007 jetta.

I will not be making that mistake again.

I have replaced it with (another) Japenese car like my last few, and of course have no problems since.

If there was anything impressive about the jetta, it was the sheer amount of things you take for granted, that dont break on other cars, that would break on mine. I don't know how they sold more than a few dozen of them. Someone above called it right, dont buy vw auto, and power windows/regulators WILL break. Mine had those issues and many more. It was sad, i liked the car, it drove nice, and looked great. But owning hondas for many year really lowers your ability/patience to deal with car problems.
I think part of the second hand vw unreliable factor, is due to the great lease deals, those cars get flogged by someone that knows they wont own it in a few years, the next guy buys it (me), and is surprised its a bucket, and blames the brand. But since my car was 4 years old with 61000 miles, i figured it just HAD to have a little life left in it. After all, i was replacing a 16 year old Honda with 150k on it... with no problems... but not to be.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,553,616 times
VWs aren't the same as Hondas. I had a 99 GTI. Loved the car but it did have problems. My mother has an 2008 Passat which she bought used. Burns oil but it has been okay otherwise. She has had it about 3 years. A 4 year old car with 61,000 miles isn't an off lease car.

I would buy a VW again only if I was buying new. I would love a Toureg but they are priced close to an X5 so I will never buy one.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,096,476 times
I have always said, if you get a V-Dub, get a stick. Although I have heard promising things about the DSG. I have a 1.8T 5-speed with 155K on it, still running strong! Change timing belt every 70K, and full synthetic every 5K with OEM filter.......should do fine. Of course keep an ignition coil in your trunk.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I have always said, if you get a V-Dub, get a stick. Although I have heard promising things about the DSG. I have a 1.8T 5-speed with 155K on it, still running strong! Change timing belt every 70K, and full synthetic every 5K with OEM filter.......should do fine. Of course keep an ignition coil in your trunk.
The DSG is a very nice transmission, very fast and smooth shifts. It has a manual mode which lets you fully control shifts and a fuel-saver slush box mode for in heavy traffic during the commute. There's also a "sports mode" that I never use. It's definitely a step above a traditional automatic.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:51 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,709,228 times
In my driving (Passat R36 in Germany and the VW CC here) with the VW DSG. I've found it to be disappointing and disengaging. If I'm getting a VW. It has to be a manual. There is nothing you could do to make me settle for the DSG. The manual transmission though is splendid. The Passat W8 4Motion with the manual is still my favorite VW badged vehicle of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen