Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Suburbs - the BEST of both worlds (urban and rural) or the WORST
BEST of both worlds 49 36.57%
WORST of both worlds. 85 63.43%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,216,820 times

Advertisements

I haven't voted either; I think you can have both the best and the worst of city living in a suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 AM

82 posts, read 151,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
I understand the number one reason why Americans move to the suburbs - schools for their kids and more space to raise them. Some people also say that suburbs are the 'best of both worlds' (incorporate the best features of urban living and advantages of rural living).

I tend to think that they have become the worst of both. Suburbs are getting crowded, congested (traffic ), loud, polluted and some even crime ridden like the cities and at the same time have some of the same car dependence, isolation, deadness, lack of public transportation of rural areas.

What do you think?
A lot of suburbs don't even have sidewalks, all the houses are the same, and and there is no public transportation. There are no small locally owned shops like both the city and rural have, they just have big box stores. And winding curvy roads suck.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacoolio20 View Post
A lot of suburbs don't even have sidewalks, all the houses are the same, and and there is no public transportation. There are no small locally owned shops like both the city and rural have, they just have big box stores. And winding curvy roads suck.
Virtually all the suburbs in the Denver area have sidewalks. There is a wide variety of housing types and prices. They look no more alike than the houses built in the city at the same time. Most of these little strip malls in the burbs have a grocery store, soemtimes a drug store, and lots of little shops, some of which are locally owned. In metro Denver, virtually every community in the RTD (Regional Transit District) has public transportationn.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,175,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Virtually all the suburbs in the Denver area have sidewalks. There is a wide variety of housing types and prices. They look no more alike than the houses built in the city at the same time. Most of these little strip malls in the burbs have a grocery store, soemtimes a drug store, and lots of little shops, some of which are locally owned. In metro Denver, virtually every community in the RTD (Regional Transit District) has public transportationn.
Denver seems to be ahead of the trend.

Do people in suburban Denver use public transit? It seems like everybody I know from small towns, the suburbs, or rural areas hate using public transportation. I really think its a cultural thing as I never saw myself living without a car before moving to the city. In the suburbs, and rural areas, you spend so much time driving your car becomes an extension of yourself.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 AM

5,519 posts, read 9,549,141 times
I moved around a lot (but in the same city) when growing up, so I experienced many suburban neighborhoods in the same general area. I remember 3 well. And, for me, these areas define what I consider the typical suburban neighborhood.

None had sidewalks. They were comprised of either ranch or split level style houses built in the 50's-60's. In one neighborhood, I could walk to my elementary school, the 7-11, or a gas station. In the second, I could walk to a nice, locally owned diner/restaurant, a video rental place, and to a park. (if I cut through the woods) In the third neighborhood, there was absolutely NOTHING within walking distance.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Denver seems to be ahead of the trend.

Do people in suburban Denver use public transit? It seems like everybody I know from small towns, the suburbs, or rural areas hate using public transportation. I really think its a cultural thing as I never saw myself living without a car before moving to the city. In the suburbs, and rural areas, you spend so much time driving your car becomes an extension of yourself.
Yes, many people in suburban Denver use public transit, especially to go to work/school. There are numerous Park and Rides around at commuter bus stops, especially on routes to Denver. The Skyride (airport bus) is very popular. IN the larger suburban cities, there is some intra-city transit. My daughter took the RTD home from school in middle school. Many middle schoolers take RTD to school. There is also a bus from Boulder to the Eldora ski area, which is used by a lot of kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I moved around a lot (but in the same city) when growing up, so I experienced many suburban neighborhoods in the same general area. I remember 3 well. And, for me, these areas define what I consider the typical suburban neighborhood.

None had sidewalks. They were comprised of either ranch or split level style houses built in the 50's-60's. In one neighborhood, I could walk to my elementary school, the 7-11, or a gas station. In the second, I could walk to a nice, locally owned diner/restaurant, a video rental place, and to a park. (if I cut through the woods) In the third neighborhood, there was absolutely NOTHING within walking distance.
Well, as previously stated, that is not the norm for all suburbs. From about Chicago west, it seems that most all 'burbs have sidewalks. Ironically, I grew up in an old "streetcar suburb" outside of Pittsburgh, and it did not have sidewalks or any businesses (though there were a few nearby that you could walk to, and there was a sidewalk along the main drag). The houses in my burb were built in the early 1900s, for the most part.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 PM

812 posts, read 4,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I agree. For my tastes, the best location of all is a town toward the outer fringe of a metro area, close enough to the city for that best-of-both worlds quality people seek in the 'burbs, but far enough out to have its own independent character and real sense of local community.
I agree... that's the best of both worlds. Homes and neighborhoods with character since they weren't all built by one developer, and an actual sense of community with some mom and pops thrown in here and there. It's too bad that the growth in many metros has reached a point where that type of situation is well beyond reasonable commuting distance.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:49 AM

37 posts, read 103,840 times
Hmm, well, I voted that suburbs are bad, but it really depends on how you define them. Neighborhoods are fine. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house, which was in a neighborhood, but they had 5 acres, dozens of majestic oak trees, a miniature baseball diamond, a bad-mitten court, a swimming pool, a pool house with pool table, horseshoe poles, a horse paddock, a seasonal creek, a basketball court, 2 outdoor picnic areas, several barns, a pond, etc. To me, this seemed like a fine place to live (and they were by no means wealthy, they just worked very hard on their yard, as it was the focal point for the entire family). Lots of privacy, but still a close nit community where it was not uncommon to see the neighbors walking their dogs/kids down the street. Crime was unheard of.

Now, I absolutely can't stand planned housing tracts with CC&Rs, homeowners associations, and roofs so close together you could walk a mile without touching the ground. Soulless burbs with back yards just big enough for a swimming pool and front yards just large enough to park a ski boat. Ugh.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 AM

82 posts, read 151,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not talking about first ring suburbs, but rather urban sprawl that is still gobbaling up the country side more every day.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Now, I absolutely can't stand planned housing tracts with CC&Rs, homeowners associations, and roofs so close together you could walk a mile without touching the ground. Soulless burbs with back yards just big enough for a swimming pool and front yards just large enough to park a ski boat. Ugh.
Interesting that you don't like that in the burbs. That is a pretty good description of the city, any city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacoolio20 View Post
I'm not talking about first ring suburbs, but rather urban sprawl that is still gobbaling up the country side more every day.
So am I. The RTD extends about 60 miles north to south and about 40 mi. east to west, including commuter buses to the mtn burbs, and if you had read my post, to a ski area. Light rail extends to the far southern suburbs, will soon be in the north 'burbs as well. And virtually ALL of them, I repeat, have sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning