Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Suburbs - the BEST of both worlds (urban and rural) or the WORST
BEST of both worlds 49 36.57%
WORST of both worlds. 85 63.43%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM

141 posts, read 293,138 times

Advertisements

I live near Houston, king of urban sprawl, IMO.

I don't know, some of the older subdivisions closer to the city are really beautiful, but maybe I'm just sick of seeing 'new masterplanned community coming soon!', so I don't feel enthused.

I love the country (what's left of it anyway), it's serene and quiet. I envy my friends who live on acreage in quiet areas free from loud traffic and annoying neighbors who whine about someone's dog barking, or whatever. They left suburbs to get away from it all. It's working for them, but right outside their 'neighborhood' (if you can call it that...) is some big planned development, so we'll see how they fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 AM

215 posts, read 661,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
I live near Houston, king of urban sprawl, IMO.

I don't know, some of the older subdivisions closer to the city are really beautiful, but maybe I'm just sick of seeing 'new masterplanned community coming soon!', so I don't feel enthused.

I love the country (what's left of it anyway), it's serene and quiet. I envy my friends who live on acreage in quiet areas free from loud traffic and annoying neighbors who whine about someone's dog barking, or whatever. They left suburbs to get away from it all. It's working for them, but right outside their 'neighborhood' (if you can call it that...) is some big planned development, so we'll see how they fare.
That's not an anti-suburban rant, that's an anti-social rant. Not everyone can be a hermit, self-isolated on several acres of land, (un)fortunately.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:16 PM

72 posts, read 71,042 times
Suburbs aren't my thing because it's hard to find very unique/interesting small businesses unless it's a very affluent suburb with high demand for such things. For instance, the suburbs of Philadelphia are full of chain stores while South Philadelphia is full of small businesses and other independently owned stores and such.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,532 times
I cannot answer on that poll. There is a big variety of suburbs in this country-some have the best of both worlds ( Dormont Pa. ,Norwood Ohio , Grandview Hts., Ohio , Narberth Pa. -very disirable, walkable with many amenities , access to mass transit etc) and others have the worst of both worlds ( high crime , sprawl , dead business districts , car dependant - Urbancrest Ohio, Lincoln Hts. Ohio, Penn Hills Pa. , Warminster Hts. aka Lacey Park Pa. etc.). There are also those that are nice ,safe and quiet but are car dependent and spread out ( Dublin Ohio, Amberly Village, Ohio, Wynnewood Pa. and Fox Chapel Pa.) and those that are urban ,walkable with access to mass transit but should be avoided ( the declining Whitehall Ohio, Darby Pa, North College Hill Ohio - another declining suburb , Wilkinsburg Pa. etc.).

Last edited by otters21; 03-15-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning