Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 PM

798 posts, read 1,035,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Go back and read the quoted sentence you're responding to. Point out to me where I said one can live without a car in the suburbs. Get back to me when you find it.
FWIW, you can live without a car in the suburbs. It's difficult, but possible. Several people, usually lower class, do it. If the bus system is good enough or the person is willing to bike or walk to work, then they can survive without a car.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Notice how every car commercial looks something like this. You're driving down a scenic, winding country road. Or along a gorgeous sunset near the coast. They have to run these pretty commercials 24/7...to keep the fantasy alive in your head. [...]

Because the everyday reality of it isn't so pretty.
There are many scenic, country roads in the world, and most people have driven on one at one point or another. When you do get to a scenic country road and the "fantasy" becomes reality, do you want to drive it in a car you hate driving in or do you want to drive it in a car you love and is fun to drive? When I bought my car I chose the latter without hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
ZOMG TV commercials don't reflect reality?

Also, way to equate peak rush hour traffic with ordinary driving conditions.
The reason that scenic country roads are shown in commercials is:

1. It's scenic
2. It shows off what the car can do when it has a chance to chew some pavement

If Cisco_kid has been in the concrete jungle for so long that he's forgotten about the existence of open road, I do feel sorry for him, and I pity all the drivers who fail to use the full potential of their cars on such roads. I've driven on such routes myself many times, and it's quite enjoyable with the right vehicle. Any car can sit in traffic with ease, but it takes a particular breed of car to really enjoy the open road. Having a nice car that can chew up some pavement may seem useless in your day to day life or during your commute, but when you stray from your daily commuting route and encounter a scenic route and are unable to enjoy it in your subpar vehicle, try to remember what you're missing out on. "Recreational driving", however rare, is one of those experiences that marks the difference between living and merely existing.

And by the way, what does all this have to do with urban planning?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

And by the way, what does all this have to do with urban planning?
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning