Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Do people normally commute to work on a narrow winding country road or near the beach on a road with no other traffic on it?
If you live near the beach or out in the country, yeah, you do.

Anyway, don't you read the small print on those car ads? There's usually a disclaimer about not typical driving conditions or something along those lines.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM

798 posts, read 1,035,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Commercials usually do reflect reality.

VINTAGE 80'S ZEST SOAP COMMERCIAL ZESTFULLY CLEAN - YouTube
Eh, not a perfect reality. Commercials reflect what you want your life to be, rather than what actually happens. So more of an idealized or exaggerated reality. For example, cell phones. Most advertisements show that one phone is immensely better than another one. A phone reviewer will pit the phones against each other and come to the conclusion that they are pretty even, with one phone having a few features over another and vice-versa. Even more striking is the fact that call quality and reception is almost never tested or displayed in these ads or reviews, when that is the whole point behind the phone.

Another example for kicks: cell phone providers. All of them say they have the fastest speed. A speed test shows the difference is almost minuscule. Plus, T-Mobile fails to mention that you can only get high speeds on its network in major cities. Rural areas are pretty much isolated.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
As others mentioned, absolutely nothing is as picturesque as what is shown on TV! Of course they are always going to show the best case environment for a car commercial just as they do for anything else ever shown.

That's true. Which is why people tend to be glued to their TV sets whenever their not at work or school. TV and Hollwood is a fantasy world for people to escape from the depressing reality of their ugly autosprawl environment. Without that safety valve what would happen? If you cut off everyone's cable and satellite TV connection tomorrow probably half the country would go on immediate suicide watch. We're the world's biggest consumers of 1) television and 2) anti-depression medication. Is there a correlation or is it merely coincidence?

PS: and 3) we're also the world's biggest consumers of illegal drugs

Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Let me tell you, the BMW is a ton of fun to drive on a curvy country road free of traffic....but in reality, i drove it two miles to work and two miles to home in stop and go traffic 99.99% of the time. The rare occasions I had to take it out were fun though.

That's what I don't get. What's the point of having all that amazing car technology and performance when you can never realistically use it? And when people do try to push the car to its limits, more likely they will end up killing themself or someone else because they are not professional drivers. But that's what the slick BMW commercials are all designed to sell you on - the fantasy of driving, like a race car driver. A by-product of which these car commercials are, knowingly or not, encouraging speeding and other reckless driving behavior.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,854,171 times
Quote:
TV and Hollwood is a fantasy world for people to escape from the depressing reality of their ugly autosprawl environment.
You do know that Hong Kong, probably the densest and least "autosprawl" city on Earth, has one of the largest TV and film industries in the world, right?

What do you think HK people do after hours of public transportation-ing and walking? They plant their asses on the couch and watch TV all night long.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
You do know that Hong Kong, probably the densest and least "autosprawl" city on Earth, has one of the largest TV and film industries in the world, right?

What do you think HK people do after a day of public transportation and walking? They pluck their asses on the couch and watch TV all night long.
Don't feed the Tyranosaurus Roll.

(yes, yes, I admit I'm guilty of it myself in this thread)

Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:

What do you think HK people do after hours of public transportation and walking? They pluck their asses on the couch and watch TV all night long.

Hong Kong has vertical sprawl, but at least they do walk and use transit. But watching TV isn't a problem when done in moderation. But when people are spending nearly all their their spare time in front of their 500 channel satellite TV, playing video games and essentially living their lives online, getting little or no exercise, that's when it becomes unhealthy.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
That's true. Which is why people tend to be glued to their TV sets whenever their not at work or school. TV and Hollwood is a fantasy world for people to escape from the depressing reality of their ugly autosprawl environment.
Yeah, it's a little known fact that NO ONE IN THE BOROUGH OF MANHATTAN watches more than 30 minutes of TV a day.

ROTFL.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM

406 posts, read 501,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I am determined to find the point of this thread. Wish me luck.
Rest assured, you wont.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I am determined to find the point of this thread. Wish me luck.
Don't worry about it, it's okay. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself by overexerting your gray matter. Do you have cable or satellite? Just relax and go watch some more boob tube. It doesn't require any thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning