Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,757,364 times

Advertisements

Something I noticed the other day from driving my community all the way down to UCLA along the 101 freeway and taking the Pacific Coast Highway back is that communities are starting to end all development on the outskirts and re-develop current projects. And it's amazing in the past twenty years how some communities that were undesirable have created desirable neighborhoods. Examples in Southern California are Oxnard, Long Beach, and Claremont. Long Beach which has created a hipster neighborhood downtown and has also changed the port to a hip place. Claremont's downtown added a mixed-use center called the Claremont Village Square with offices, downtown apartments, shops, restaurants, and a hotel. Oxnard has added a movie center and other shops in the downtown and is also developing a large master planned mixed-use center with residential apartments, a lifestyle shopping center aka open-air mall, and an organic grocery market.

But this seems to be happening all over the USA with the "green" movement. More Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Sprouts Organic markets opening up as people get healthier. More gyms. More Starbucks and coffee shops. Now people are moving away from wanting enclosed malls and boxy shopping centers and moving towards downtown development. Now people still like enclosed malls, lifestyle shopping centers, and large shopping centers because they offer affordability to consumers. And Target is also expanding into downtowns and building in shopping centers that aren't in a sprawl area. Also, the trendy clothing stores are starting to cator to the hipster crowd. American Apparel makes clothes in the USA and cuts down on globalization and also pays its workers an okay wage which is attracting hipsters. Urban Outfitters and Gap support certain organizations that many hipsters support. And it's in downtowns we see these stores opening up.

Malibu now has an American Apparel and is getting a Whole Foods soon. Trader Joes recently opened up there.

The college town of Davis recently got a Target.

The college town of San Luis Obispo recently got a Target too and has plans for a Whole Foods to come to town. And recently got a Fresh N Easy. And the locally owned grocery market just expanded to a larger location. And the downtown has several major redevelopment projects which will add a hotel, downtown housing, offices, and high-end retail stores.

And also, is cities like Tokyo and Paris you can see the increase in more organic markets, trendy clothing stores, more concern for the environment in cities, and more development in downtowns.

Last edited by the city; 10-24-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
I'm not sure what any of that stuff has to do with hipsters, but cities do not create "hipster neighborhoods."

Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
LMAO. Everyone thinks he or she is a hipster.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I'm not sure what any of that stuff has to do with hipsters, but cities do not create "hipster neighborhoods."
Agreed.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 PM

I changed the title.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Here is what I'd call a hipster neighborhood. We have one block with a bike shop, a record store for indie rock music, a coffee shop for coffee snobs and a tattoo parlor about 2 blocks away.

Oh and the art school is about .5 mile away.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM

When I think of a "hipster area" or downtowns with plenty of young people I think of:

-cafes
-coffee shops
-tattoo parlous
-bars and nightclubs
-trendy clothing stores like American Apparel, Gap, Urban Outfitters, etc...
-Buildings 50ft+
-Downtown lofts or flats
-Mixed-use centers
-High rise hotels
-Downtown movie theaters
-Historical buildings
-Art galleries
-Playhouse or some sort of performing arts center
-Independent movie theater

and outside of downtowns I think of organic grocery markets like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and others.

and also I think of public transportation like subways, bus systems, and light rail in downtown areas.

And there are so many communities trying to do this or do this now.

I think in California, I think Oakland will be the next city to see major changes.

And also, Los Angeles has been trying to save their downtown with the area near LA Live. But Downtown Los Angeles has a LONG ways to go. Mainly other urban areas in LA will contribute to the lack of people living downtown.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hipsters don't like being called hipsters.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
When I think of a "hipster area" or downtowns with plenty of young people I think of:

-cafes
-coffee shops
-tattoo parlous
-bars and nightclubs
-trendy clothing stores like American Apparel, Gap, Urban Outfitters, etc...
-Buildings 50ft+
-Downtown lofts or flats
-Mixed-use centers
-High rise hotels
-Downtown movie theaters
-Historical buildings
-Art galleries
-Playhouse or some sort of performing arts center
-Independent movie theater
Almost all of those really don't have anything in particulary to do with hipsters. Hipsters frequent some of those types of establishment.. but that's like me saying when I think of hipsters areas I think of toilets. Hipsters got to go too, after all.

Hipsters are faddy, constantly moving from one "in" thing to another -- that's complicated because hipsterism had it's roots in alt/counter-culture. They reject mainstream consumerism by... becoming oppressive brand snobs. I'm probably dating myself here, but remember when every hipster had to have a Chrome messenger bag even if they hadn't ridden a bicycle since elementary school? Then fixies became the "in" thing and they all started riding bicycles driving the price of old bikes through the roof.

I couldn't possible be confused as a hipster. I'm mean I'm wearing New Balance shoes, the shoe for old fuddy-duddies that just don't care... Oh, wait. Damn. Screw them. They're comfortable and only have a few holes in them. No worries, mine are ugly, grey cross-trainers I used to use at the gym before I beat all the padding out of them.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-24-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I am NOT a hipster. It's the institution that makes up trendy crap like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning