Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
T
Parking with spots for energy efficient cars, what a joke! So these Prius owners don't like to walk a few extra feet in the parking lot? (I don't believe any of our local Targets have such spots).
They don't want to walk a long way because their pants are too tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM

376 posts, read 665,624 times
i DON'T like the hipster mentality at all. it's an oxymoron. all i see is hypocrisy. you're all for progression yet at the same time, you're basically leeching onto the same conservative, messed up mindset and values that you're against. makes absolutely no sense at all.

this is what i've seen happen in areas of new york (brooklyn and the lower east side) and new jersey. you got these people from west bubble tuck thinking because they read a few books, watch a few documentaries, go to whole foods and are vegans that they're different and know more than their peers and other people. they go to college which further cements their mindset only to go outthere in the real world where they end up getting the cold hand of truth. so what do they do, they pretty much get money from their job or their parents or whoever, go to places like bed sty along with how many other people, trying to fit in with the have nots of society. they basically infiltrate these poor neighborhoods with working class residents and the have nots of society, try to act like they're on their side yet at the same time and basically kick them out by gentrificating these neighborhoods. they basically invite people that are like them and basically screw it up for all of us working class people that just want someone decent to live because these places end up going for thousands and thousands and even millions of dollars. funny because most of these hipsters don't even have that type of money to begin with. they just have mommy and daddy to watch their back yet they'll be trying to act like they know what it's like to struggle and do without. i tell you can't play two sides of the coin. they can't keep it real yet they swear on their life that they're real. damn hypocrites.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:19 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
i DON'T like the hipster mentality at all. it's an oxymoron. all i see is hypocrisy. you're all for progression yet at the same time, you're basically leeching onto the same conservative, messed up mindset and values that you're against. makes absolutely no sense at all.

this is what i've seen happen in areas of new york (brooklyn and the lower east side) and new jersey. you got these people from west bubble tuck thinking because they read a few books, watch a few documentaries, go to whole foods and are vegans that they're different and know more than their peers and other people. they go to college which further cements their mindset only to go outthere in the real world where they end up getting the cold hand of truth. so what do they do, they pretty much get money from their job or their parents or whoever, go to places like bed sty along with how many other people, trying to fit in with the have nots of society. they basically infiltrate these poor neighborhoods with working class residents and the have nots of society, try to act like they're on their side yet at the same time and basically kick them out by gentrificating these neighborhoods. they basically invite people that are like them and basically screw it up for all of us working class people that just want someone decent to live because these places end up going for thousands and thousands and even millions of dollars. funny because most of these hipsters don't even have that type of money to begin with. they just have mommy and daddy to watch their back yet they'll be trying to act like they know what it's like to struggle and do without. i tell you can't play two sides of the coin. they can't keep it real yet they swear on their life that they're real. damn hypocrites.
I think that is one type of hipster or maybe all. I don't follow hipsters all the time.

I am hoping American Apparel opens in my college town. But the college town already has a bunch of trendy stores.

Urban Outfitters, Gap, Express, Banana Republic, Abercrombie and Fitch, Victoria Secrets, the trendy electronic store Apple, trendy sunglass store Sunglass Hut and Solstice, and also there is a Barnes N Nobles and movie theater all in downtown. And then on the outskirts of town is a large shopping center called San Luis Obispo Promenade that has a Forever 21 Department store. Also we have a large "hipster" style bar and coffee shop that is two stories and I like it alot! It's called Kreuzburg.

And next to Sear's and Kohl's in the Madonna Plaza center they are putting an H&M where Borders was.

Also we have Peet's Coffee and Tea, Starbucks, frozen yogurt shops, cafes, bars, and Jamba Juice in downtown which are all places for the youth.

Urban Outfitters is the only retail apparel store I'd consider to sell "hipster" style clothing.

Then in downtown there are plans for a 250,000 sq. ft. mixed-use center with a four story hotel, lofts, a restaurant, offices, and a two story 50,000 sq. ft. high-end retail complex.

And downtown just finished building a 4 story apartment project.

The downtown is building up and adding more lofts. Also, on the outskirts of town are plans for affordable housing in hopes that minorities who work here can also live here and save money by not commuting.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 PM

443 posts, read 878,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO. Everyone thinks he or she is a hipster.
I would say it's the polar opposite - nobody will admit to being a hipster. Have you ever heard anyone say "I'm a hipster"? It's almost a derogatory term, although it clearly describes a group of people that exist across the country in many cities.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
I'm a hipster!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
here in DC there are a couple of Targets that are "urban" the one in columbia heights, in a new multistory complex, and the one in baileys, which took the old retail level of the skyline condo towers. Those are just ones ive been in. Of course Walmart is moving in that direction too, but Target was definitely there first.

I dont think of target as hipster though, and I dont particularly look at the political donation of whom I buy from - that would make ordering pizza too challenging. But then Im not a hipster.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post

progression? gentrificating?

its good to know some folk are resisting this whole read a few books and go to college thing.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I'm a hipster!
Mazel Tov!!

How many moths has it been?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM

where I live Giant and safeway are unionized - I think most of the rest (food lion, blooms, harris teeter, Trader joes, as well as Whole foods) are not. Southern thing. Whole Foods was out of dallas originally, IIRC. Too bad we ended up with only one really big natural foods chain, but we did. I dont shop there a lot, too expensive and inconvenient, but they do carry stuff its hard to find elsewhere. Not all their produce is local, but they labeled origin for all produce before others did, and they have lots of other info.

Like I said I dont shop there often, but Im not going to call someone a hypocrite for shopping there. For some people finding a food that meets a particular dietary need is important, and trumps shopping union.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Parking with spots for energy efficient cars, what a joke! So these Prius owners don't like to walk a few extra feet in the parking lot? (I don't believe any of our local Targets have such spots).
lots of people like shorter walks through parking lots. Special spots for energy efficient cars is a nice way to incentize purchase and use of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning