Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times

Advertisements

I live in the states and I have had the pleasure to meet man and his family who were from England. They moved here about 5 years ago and they go back to visit England very regularly.

I have known this person for about 2 years off and on. To get to my question; I have noticed that they have a very cold personality's and that they only seem to be able to loosen up with a little alcohol.

Second issue I noticed is that they tend to be very private. In fact they seem to become a little hostile when I ask them a little more information
then I should; such as, "how much money did you make last year?"

Lastly, I just get the overall feeling that they are very dull and pale. Are most of the people in England like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 03:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
yes and i love it. they mind their own business and respect boundaries more.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM

163 posts, read 320,701 times
To ask a Brittish subject how much he/she earns a year is considered a rude question in the U.K and is considered a private matter.

Their not cold and pale, but i can see how this could come accross, but thats just how we are and act.....quitely with dignity and decorum!!!!! The Brittish way....you gotta love it!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:02 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
The stiff upper lip! Yes, some people in England are that way. My husband isn't and most people I know in England aren't like that. In fact, I'm American and my English husband is probably more charming and personable than I am!

But I have to say, I'm from the States and I was always taught that asking someone how much money they make is intrusive. Many people in both countries feel that your income is a very private matter and it's impolite to discuss it outside immediate family. Though this concept does seem to be fading with time so maybe it's a little old fashioned? But I'm American and even I would have clammed up if you asked me how much money I made last year.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:26 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
They may be a little shy, as foreigners in the USA!

And no, the British don't tell people what they earn, and consider it very bad manners to ask - unless you were talking about a common interest; for example, if you both ran the same type of business.

The English are quite reserved but they are also very friendly. I really enjoyed living in the UK, and found it delightful to be able to walk to school, shops, the park - and meet friends and neighbors all along the way. There is always someone washing the car or mowing the lawn, always loads of kids playing in the park, people I know at the local shops to stop for a chat.

I miss that in the USA...people are very nice, but the over-use of the car and the lack of community is a little depressing. Maybe your English friends feel like that too...

Old 09-28-2008, 04:35 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post
To ask a Brittish subject how much he/she earns a year is considered a rude question in the U.K and is considered a private matter.

Their not cold and pale, but i can see how this could come accross, but thats just how we are and act.....quitely !!!!! The Brittish way....you gotta love it!!!

Thanks for the reply's. Truth be told, I do like the blank expressions that they carry for most of the time. We Americans smile entirely to much. I would say 90% of the smiles you get are fake.

As far as "with dignity and decorum," when I would hang out with my friends mom, I felt like I was with with some type of queen. She would get all done up, but it was very tasteful and elegant!

I wish more American women were this way. Over here in California all the women look the same, and they all wear jeans with beach flip flops EVERYWHERE!! uaa! Some women & men even go as far as to wear there bedtime clothes and house shoes to the store!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:13 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
The Scottish are more up for a laugh, outgoing etc.

Very different in Scotland!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Wink Theres more to Britain than Enger-land...

Let's not forget the humor and laid-back jovialness (is that a word?) of the Irish. Again, very different.

There's the Welsh as well. Er...the only Welsh person I've met was lovely, and I used to make her continually say 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili ogogogoch'. It sounded great!

Anyway, if you had to live in England, you'd be cold and blank looking all the time too!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:23 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
The Scottish are more up for a laugh, outgoing etc.

Very different in Scotland!
We are though I may or may not tell you how much I earn

Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
We are though I may or may not tell you how much I earn
Depends on who they are but I love a good laugh, and my booze. Because you know how us Scots just love to get drunk all the time

Kidding, though I do think Scottish people are the most kindest people you could ever meet and will say hi in the street. Glasgow is the place to find that.

Hows things in NC? Miss it there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom