Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:26 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,233 times

Advertisements

I am planning a summer trip to England. I love London, where I have been. But thought I would try a different city. Perhaps Birmingham or Manchester. I think the people of London generally have the typical British accent. NOT trying to be rude,but sorta BBC accent. This is not a slam. I love the accents.

Question. What part of the country would I go to to hear a little more broken/Choopy, stronger accent? Would either of these cities work?
Or is there this accent near Metro London?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 05:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Well the London Cockney accent is pretty pronounced and I think you would find most people think it is one of the most distinctive accents !
Other strong accents include Yorkshire, Lancashire, Birmingham, Liverpool , Manchester and the Geordie accent ( North-East , try Newcastle).

Unfortunately to me these places tend to be the worst in the UK so not somewhere I would "visit" unless I had too ( though I would strongly recommend a visit to the Yorkshire Dales and Northumberland, both incredibly beautiful areas, just steer clear of the cities who thanks to industrialisation in the 19 th century, the LuftWaffe in WW2 and appalling Town planning in the 50s, 60s and 70s are to my mind pretty hideous places). Most of those places have been regenerated but I still hate them.

Go to Wales too, I love a good Welsh accent. Nothing is quite as pronounced as a Glaswegian accent though ( I love most Scottish accents but hate the Glasgow one, it is completely non understandable).

Other strong accents include Norfolk ( Norwich is a very nice town) and the West Country ( Somerset, Devon, Cornwall ) all lovely areas.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I am planning a summer trip to England. I love London, where I have been. But thought I would try a different city. Perhaps Birmingham or Manchester. I think the people of London generally have the typical British accent. NOT trying to be rude,but sorta BBC accent. This is not a slam. I love the accents.

Question. What part of the country would I go to to hear a little more broken/Choopy, stronger accent? Would either of these cities work?
I disagree, particularly since there are various accents in London.

I noticed that BBC news anchors had various accents, none of them particularly strong...but there were definite Scottish, Welsh, northern English accents, etc. I think the days of RP are over.

If you want really strong, hard-to-understand (to an American) accents, go to Liverpool, Newcastle, and rural Yorkshire. I lived in Yorkshire for years and up to the day I left I still occasionally went "eh?!?!?!" when people talked to me.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,229 times
Accents vary from place to another in space of a few miles, the Geordie accent is a popular favorite (Newcastle), the Yorkshire accent, Sean Bean the actor has a Yorkshire accent which you might be able to relate too, I always get compliments from Americans when I visit saying they love my accent even though they don't understand what I'm saying lol. Scouse (Liverpool), Welsh (Wales) and Brummy (Midlands) are all horrible horrible accents and vey hard to understand.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
That is not correct. Only a small percentage (2-3 %) of the British population speak Received Pronunciation (RP). It is also called BBC, Oxbridge or Queen's English. Even the Queen has changed her accent. Most of these people are public school educated. So you can get a Welsh or Scottish person who speak with this accent. RP is little heard in the streets of London which is a city of strangers with few natives.

People like Roger Moore studied at RADA. That is where he acquired the accent. Michael Caine who studied at RADA later when regional accents became more acceptable speaks with a more common cockney accent.

If you listen to radio and TV programmes from the 1950's you will surely hear the RP accent. Nowadays the Estuary English (which is sort of inbetween RP and cockney) or even a trans-atlantic accent is more popular and politically correct. The political correctness is frustrating when you call customer service agencies when it takes several minutes to understand the answer to a simple question such as the process of your application. I once lost a confirmation number. I was still unsure after the call.

Quote:
I think the people of London generally have the typical British accent. NOT trying to be rude,but sorta BBC accent.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
My personal favorite is the accent from Manchester. The people I've met from there have a typical "Brittish accent" that we Americans love, but they're not hard to understand. I remember sitting in a pub all evening in Glasgow not understanding a word the girl next to me was saying.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:50 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
Yes, you get that with political correctness and the reversed snobbery of working class people including Labour leaders. They don't seem to realise the standard English accent is better understood by everyone. It's not a matter of disliking local accents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I noticed that BBC news anchors had various accents, none of them particularly strong...but there were definite Scottish, Welsh, northern English accents, etc. I think the days of RP are over.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,052 times
Quote:

Well, if you love London, and as your a guy. I think you should take a drive over in Essex, thats as cockney as it gets, ohh and see if the rumours are true "essex girls are easy" lol, you wont regret it

Old 12-17-2007, 05:03 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,233 times
So I would be able to hear stronger accents without leaving London????? Why do people describe south London as very different? Is that where the working class live? Is it worth checking out? Do they have a different accent?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
So I would be able to hear stronger accents without leaving London????? Why do people describe south London as very different? Is that where the working class live? Is it worth checking out? Do they have a different accent?
The East End of London is where the most recognised London accent "comes from" so to speak. London is such a Cosmopolitan place that most people will speak with different accents both National and International ones. For you as a foreign person to make a distinction in terms of geography though, you would need to travel in order to realise what a West Country burr is compared to a Liverpool one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom