Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North or South?
North 11 47.83%
South 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am aware of the fact both the 'north' and 'south' of England are very diverse linguistically and otherwise, but I'm wondering what 'type' of accent do you prefer. Would you prefer say a typical London 'Estuary' accent or a Manchester accent? A broad Yorkshire dialect or Cockney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Northen because my grandma is from there.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Any accent which is mild and fully understandable to everyone. Some regional accents are so strong the speakers might as well be speaking Aramaic. I personally like something like a soft Scottish accent ( not Glaswegian for example) or a mild West country burr. Mild being the operative word.

I'm afraid I find the Brummie, Liverpool and Geordie accents pretty hard on the ears though a mild Yorkshire accent can be quite nice.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,156 times
Where is the midlands or south west option?

I quite like the brummie, scouse, and geordie accents.

I dread the day we all speak estuary.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 16,412 times
Default Proud Scouser

Despite being from the neck of the woods that Mouseketeer finds hard on the ears I find myself agreeing with him.

However, at the risk of being labelled some sort of ....ist I would venture to suggest that any sort of accent is ok, provided it is mild and educated.

Personally, I grind my teeth and pull my hair out (metaphorically) every time the media give air time to some of my less educated regional compatriots who feel the necessity to punctuate their every utterance with '....like' or '...you know' (sorry, that should read '....yer know'). And that's another thing - do the media cast around to find the 'thickies' to maintain regional stereotypes!

There can be no real pride in being inarticulate.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:54 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve&helenhead View Post
Despite being from the neck of the woods that Mouseketeer finds hard on the ears I find myself agreeing with him.
Her

I don't have an accent - at least, i can't hear one when I talk

Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 AM

174 posts, read 372,875 times
A lot of us live in the United Kingdom and don't have any of the very many English accents at all.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I like a Yorkshire accent. It's familiar to me because my grandparents came from Yorkshire. A very broad Yorkshire accent is hard for me to understand though so it may be pleasant to the ear but not very helpful in understanding what they are saying.

Geordie-no way. Nice for them -- they can talk to each other and no one knows what they're saying.

The accent around Stoke-on-Trent is incomprehensible to me, whatever that accent is called.

The way they speak in the Cotswold area is fine -- I can understand my cousin there really well. But then, I can understand my Yorkshire relatives too.

I don't like Cockney, it sounds foolish and it has those expressions and words that are unintelligible to anyone but themselves.

As an American who married a Brit from Burnley, Lancs -- I can't understand a word they say when they get going. Maybe I'm once again referring to those who have a broad accent. I can understand my husband now (most of the time) and I adore his accent but there certainly are a LOT OF WORDS that are different in the two "languages" and cause some misunderstanding.

In the long run, I do appreciate different accents -- the only problem is when you NEED TO KNOW something and you can't understand the person's answer. I can understand some Brits better than I can understand some Southerners here in the USA!!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:27 PM

33 posts, read 56,698 times
The North but maybe I'm biased as I'm from the north myself I'm a Yorkshire lad.

Some of the accents from the south are ok and not all accents in the north are nice but I just find that many of the accents in the south very hard on the ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom