Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,493,592 times

Advertisements

My daughter in Harrogate is reveling in this weather! Shorts and tank tops galore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,446,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To be honest, I'm not that interested in the huge cities of Europe. Like I said, I've been to London. I've been to Brussels, and Berlin, and Munich, and Vienna, and Prague, but not Paris, and not Rome, though I've had the opportunities. I'll get there one day, but neither are high on my priority list. I much prefer the smaller towns and villages, and rural settings of Europe. (And anywhere else for that matter - for instance, I prefer Yorktown over Washington, DC hands down!)

In fact, the next time I go see my daughter in Harrogate, I will fly into Manchester and bypass London completely.

I'm just not a big city lover. I know there is a lot to see in huge metro areas, but I get in and out as quickly as I can, and head for the country, or the coast, or the mountains, as quickly as I can!
Did you make it to the North Yorkshire Moors railway?
We used to go to Bolton castle regularly for Sunday Lunch when I was a child
Next time you need to check out Durham with its stunning Norman cathedral, castle, old bridges and beautiful riverside walks. Less busy than York- although much smaller.
Plus Northumberland. See the coast with the sand dunes and the castles-some ruined-some still in use. Especially check out Alnwick castle and gardens -the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland still live in the castle. Harry Potter first movie was filmed there.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Funny that you are getting sunnier weather than usual, because we in the southeast of America are getting rain, rain, rain. Our lake is the fullest it's been in 60 years.
But seems like the UK is now getting the humidity that we were having. Today and yesterday feel more like Summer proper. Been hating the lack of sunshine and humidity.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,493,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Did you make it to the North Yorkshire Moors railway?
We used to go to Bolton castle regularly for Sunday Lunch when I was a child
Next time you need to check out Durham with its stunning Norman cathedral, castle, old bridges and beautiful riverside walks. Less busy than York- although much smaller.
Plus Northumberland. See the coast with the sand dunes and the castles-some ruined-some still in use. Especially check out Alnwick castle and gardens -the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland still live in the castle. Harry Potter first movie was filmed there.
We went to the North Yorkshire Moors but we weren't able to fit in a visit to the railway. But those Moors are simply beautiful - in such a barren, windswept way. We loved the time we spent there.

Northumberland is on my "next trip" list - some of my ancestors hail from there. It would be nice to track down some connections (to villages/towns).

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM

26,667 posts, read 28,908,995 times
Just have to say, it's been 36C here in New England for a few weeks now (with a day or two off so we can stay alive to suffer some more). This is the NORTH and the humidity is high. One thing I liked about England is that the weather didn't keep you inside for most of the summer and all of the winter.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Just have to say, it's been 36C here in New England for a few weeks now (with a day or two off so we can stay alive to suffer some more). This is the NORTH and the humidity is high. One thing I liked about England is that the weather didn't keep you inside for most of the summer and all of the winter.
Bah- the weather here doesn't keep me inside at any time of the year! In England it did and way too often.
It's horses for courses I guess but if you have the AC thermostat set at 65 in the Summer then you're never gonna survive outside when it's 80 let alone 90. H My son and I are sitting having a coffee here. It's about 90 but little humidity and the patio is in the shade and inside is pretty full but we are the only ones on the patio. It's gorgeous because we're used to it ( well almost as this summer has been cooler and wetter up till now).

Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We went to the North Yorkshire Moors but we weren't able to fit in a visit to the railway. But those Moors are simply beautiful - in such a barren, windswept way. We loved the time we spent there.

Northumberland is on my "next trip" list - some of my ancestors hail from there. It would be nice to track down some connections (to villages/towns).
see if you can try and fit in a little of Wensleydale, Teesdale and Weardale. If you take the back roads you can start in Wensleydale and just keep heading north over the moors and go from one Dale to another. From Weardale you can go up over the moors into the Tyne valley and then see Hadrians wall near Hexham.
This would all be West of the A1(M) if heading North.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:50 AM

10,223 posts, read 18,006,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, it keeps me inside most year around because of the rain and wind. The weather right now is excellent but rare! I can't remember it being this nice for this long in the last few years at least.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:48 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,886,095 times
Why would wind and rain keep you in? There are public transport, restaurants, cinemas, indoor sports etc for the days it rains - even outdoor sports in the rains fun!

London 29" rain per year
New York City 47
Paris 25
Miami: 60
Los Angeles: 14.9
New Orleans: 63
Atlanta: 50
Phoenix: 7.6
Seattle: 40
Chicago: 34
Dallas: 37
Boston: 42.3
Toronto: 30
Vancouver: 43.6
Juneau: 90
Sao Paulo: 55
Buenos Aires: 38.7
Lima: 0.2
Caracas: 33
Tokyo: 60
Shanghai: 45
Beijing: 25
Tel Aviv: 21
Hong Kong: 87
Singapore: 89.5
Calcutta: 63
Dhaka: 78

Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Why would wind and rain keep you in? There are public transport, restaurants, cinemas, indoor sports etc for the days it rains - even outdoor sports in the rains fun!

London 29" rain per year
New York City 47
Paris 25
Miami: 60
Los Angeles: 14.9
New Orleans: 63
Atlanta: 50
Phoenix: 7.6
Seattle: 40
Chicago: 34
Dallas: 37
Boston: 42.3
Toronto: 30
Vancouver: 43.6
Juneau: 90
Lima: 0.2
Caracas: 33
Tokyo: 60
Shanghai: 45
Beijing: 25
Tel Aviv: 21
Hong Kong: 87
Singapore: 89.5
Calcutta: 63
Dhaka: 78
You said it! Indoor activities-that all cost money. Doesn't matter whose doors your inside- the point is not being outside. As for being outside in the rain I had too many years of that when I had horses that needed to be exercised etc no matter what the weather.
I was pretty shocked when I read that Newcastle is apparently one of the driest cities in England (UK?)
Also, the pattern of rainfall is important. Here we have more rainfall than many places in the UK, but it almost never drizzles all day, except occasionally in the Spring. Usually when it rains (July is the wettest month) it pours down- as the locals sometimes say- it's a frog choker or gully washer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom