Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times

Advertisements

England is a great place to visit. I was very pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and friendliness of London. I loved the beautiful parks which are scattered throughout the city. The Eye was worth the wait in the queue. Westminster Abbey is very moving and lovely. The National Gallery is impressive. There's some good shopping on Regent Street. Our hotel (Doubletree in Westminster) was very nice, roomy, and comfortable (but we paid dearly for all that!). We loved riding the Hop On Hop Off tour buses - very pleasant and convenient. But our favorite spot was the Tower of London!

The best part of the trip was our time in Yorkshire. We stayed in a lovely little village called Pateley Bridge. The B and B was terrific - I recommend it highly! (Roslyn House) The dales were idyllic and looked like Hobbit Land. The moors were moody, lonely, windswept, austere, and amazing. The coast was picturesque and fun. The people were friendly and outgoing. The castles and abbeys and villages were simply beautiful. And the pubs and food were terrific!

OK, here are some pics! Some are from a program I use that turns photos into sketches and simulated watercolor paintings.

Dusk on the dales:

The graveyard in Whitby:

Ruins of Whitby Abbey:

Window in Skipton castle chapel:

Beautiful little village of Pateley Bridge:

The amazing moors:

An American werewolf who's making his way toward London must live here...

The view from the summit of the Brimham Rocks:

Looking toward Bolton Abbey:

A grandbaby using her imagination:

Afternoon tea:

Norman gear at the Tower of London:

Traitors' Gate:

Light through a window at the Tower:

London street scene:

Boats in the harbor at Whitby:

Westminster Abbey:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,480,481 times
My goodness, those are lovely! I'm so glad everything worked out well for you and you had a good time. Can't wait for a full and detailed description of your adventures

Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM

10,536 posts, read 6,178,703 times
I love, love, love your pics Kathryn. I love the one with the little boats in Whitby.

And you had proper scones with tea, jam and clotted cream. I thoroughly approve. You can tick that one off your bucket list LOL.
So happy you had such a great time in our wonderful country. On the downside it makes me terribly homesick . Now when can I book a flight home.......

Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 20,169 times
Those pictures look great! The patchwork of fields in the countryside looks like a quilted blanket if seen from above.
That "Norman gear" at the Tower of London, it looks more like "Rajput gear" from India
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katar_(dagger)

Google Image Result for http://www.forensicfashion.com/files/1751RajputNobleHelmetMet01.jpg

Still, you've got some great pics

Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harman123 View Post
Those pictures look great! The patchwork of fields in the countryside looks like a quilted blanket if seen from above.
That "Norman gear" at the Tower of London, it looks more like "Rajput gear" from India
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katar_(dagger)

Google Image Result for http://www.forensicfashion.com/files/1751RajputNobleHelmetMet01.jpg

Still, you've got some great pics
Well, maybe it is - I don't know -I was pretty inundated with small details at that point after all the museums. Anyway, it looked cool and made a great picture! LOL

Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM

490 posts, read 682,753 times
Lovely photos!

Did you get to see Hampton Court on your trip, or are you saving that for next time?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Lovely photos!

Did you get to see Hampton Court on your trip, or are you saving that for next time?
Saving it for next time - I didn't want to feel rushed. We enjoyed the pace we kept in London and would have really had to push and hurry through it to fit it in. BUT I AM GOING BACK WITHIN THIS NEXT YEAR - aiming for next May.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM

16,681 posts, read 17,455,385 times
Thanks for all those photos Kathryn.

I am really pleased that you had such a lovely time.

The shots of Yorkshire bring back certain memories for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,909,200 times
Execellent photographs, KA. May would be a good time to see the bluebell woods Chris Ceaser Photography: Bluebell Wood and the rapeseed fields Photographing Rapeseed Fields Have fun.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 AM

16,681 posts, read 17,455,385 times
How did you find driving over here Kathryn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom