Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 04:06 PM

13,320 posts, read 9,868,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
My father caught a picture of this in Norway during the war

That's the clearest picture of a flying saucer I've ever seen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 04:17 PM

369 posts, read 329,749 times
Circular waves would indicate a surface disturbance from an isolated point, such as a fish rising as opposed to a motor boat.
A large circular wave could be explained by a methane burp. What's the geology of the area? The visual of a creature might be bottom debris caught in the bubble. Just me playing devils advocate.
We need a hydraulic engineer to chime in here with the relative mass required to generate a three foot wave. How was this wave measured?
I think we need a bigger boat and stronger monofilament!

Old 08-04-2018, 04:22 PM

6,221 posts, read 5,996,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Like what?

I certainly hope you're not comparing a coelacanth at a max of 200lbs at depths, that was discovered 80 years ago as some sort of proof that you can have something the size of a whale with no carcasses, no dna, nothing but fuuzy pictures....

Seriously, before DNA technology, I was pretty open minded. These days, it seems so unlikely as to be a big big dose of radithorpe. Which will clearly make you healthy.
And yet just two years ago we had this bit of news:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...whale-species/
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...hale-confirmed

The oceans are big. Really big - big enough for large and relatively rare species to have escaped detection up to now. The problem with an environment like Bear Lake as a location for a large unknown animal is: how did an aquatic animal get into a landlocked lake? With Champlain and Loch Ness, you have connections to the Atlantic -- not so for Bear Lake.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:35 PM

230 posts, read 93,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Circular waves would indicate a surface disturbance from an isolated point, such as a fish rising as opposed to a motor boat.
A large circular wave could be explained by a methane burp. What's the geology of the area? The visual of a creature might be bottom debris caught in the bubble. Just me playing devils advocate.
We need a hydraulic engineer to chime in here with the relative mass required to generate a three foot wave. How was this wave measured?
I think we need a bigger boat and stronger monofilament!

Multiple waves hitting both shores, completely circular waves radiating out. boats if making those waves would have to break through an escape the waves, and destroy the perfect circular pattern. Keep trying to find a non paranormal reason....

Methane bubles are not not repetitive and repetively strong nor even strong enough to produce small singular waves.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:37 PM

230 posts, read 93,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
And yet just two years ago we had this bit of news:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...whale-species/
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...hale-confirmed

The oceans are big. Really big - big enough for large and relatively rare species to have escaped detection up to now. The problem with an environment like Bear Lake as a location for a large unknown animal is: how did an aquatic animal get into a landlocked lake? With Champlain and Loch Ness, you have connections to the Atlantic -- not so for Bear Lake.

Shuswap Lake has proven channels beneath it to the large Shuswap Lake system... and its beneath the shallow river above them...

Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 PM

18,779 posts, read 18,338,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjayjordan View Post
Shuswap Lake has proven channels beneath it to the large Shuswap Lake system... and its beneath the shallow river above them...

Does the lake freeze solid in the winter? If it does it would make it hard for an air breathing mammal to survive.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,699,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Does the lake freeze solid in the winter? If it does it would make it hard for an air breathing mammal to survive.
If there are fish in the lake it doesn't freeze to the bottom. The only lakes that I've seen that freeze completely are high mountain lakes that have no fish.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:15 PM

102,513 posts, read 109,098,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
"Mammal"? Has Nessie ever been classified as a mammal? She/he/it could be a fish, or an amphibian. I wouldn't assume that a below-water-dwelling creature is a mammal.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 PM

18,779 posts, read 18,338,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If there are fish in the lake it doesn't freeze to the bottom. The only lakes that I've seen that freeze completely are high mountain lakes that have no fish.

In post #31 of the OP he talked about half fish/half air breathing. No; I did not mean solid down to the bottom; I meant the top frozen solid. Which, if the OP was talking about air breathing, might be a problem. But they kind of left that open with maybe amphibian/reptilian or maybe fish.

Part of the biggest problem we have with these sightings today, just like BF, is our equipment has improved. Modern fish finders really took off in the 1990's. How many fishermen now use this technology? How heavily fished is the lake where the creature was spotted? When I do a Google Earth 'flyover' of Shuswap Lake and attached lakes I see many docks; which translates into many boats and fishermen. If just one handful of fishermen with fish finders reported a large movement under the water; every researcher and 'unexplained' TV crew from around the globe would descend on the Lake and tributaries. They would all want a piece of the action. Many of the boats can communicate with each other; it is just hard to picture how something of size can disappear inside a lake. I can understand the ocean because of all we have not explored.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:54 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,112,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Like what?

I certainly hope you're not comparing a coelacanth at a max of 200lbs at depths, that was discovered 80 years ago as some sort of proof that you can have something the size of a whale with no carcasses, no dna, nothing but fuuzy pictures....

Seriously, before DNA technology, I was pretty open minded. These days, it seems so unlikely as to be a big big dose of radithorpe. Which will clearly make you healthy.
YOU don't have my DNA. Does that mean I don't exist until you do?

I remember being taught that Columbus discovered America. We know that doesn't mean no one lived in the Western Hemisphere before someone gave Columbus a boat.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 08-05-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal