Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times

Advertisements

Most astrologers today who actually make a living from Astrology take a psychological approach. The old reading and prediction orientation has gone out the window. Personally, I think it has lost much of it charm. The psychologist have ruined it.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,235,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
What is Myers Brigg?
Myers Briggs Type Indicator. It's a set of questions that come up with a personality type at the end. Tends to get used on management courses so that people can talk about themselves for a bit and have big realisations about the way they react in certain situations.

I'm very much in two minds about astrology. My logical brain is telling me it's nonsense, but there does seem to be a pattern relating personalities to when you were born. I'm a totally classic gemini, and I think I always have been from when I was little, I didn't grow into those characteristics as I wasn't aware of them until I was a teenager probably!

I don't, however, think it's got an awful lot to do with any formations of stars that happen to create that particular pattern that someone happened to think looked a bit like a scorpion just because of an accident of parallax...

It could be down to anything at all, something we've not discovered yet maybe.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 AM

I've been attracted to astrology for most of my life. My interest continually waxes and wanes. Initially, an astrologer friend challenged me to dis-prove it. Of course, that required some serious study that went way beyond reading newspaper horoscopes. Through an in-depth study, I came to the conclusion that it actually had a great deal of validity.

That being said, I rarely look at my chart or consult with an astrologer. I schedule a consultation perhaps every 2 or 3 years, especially if I'm facing some significant challenges or planning a big step forward in my life. I take the information from the consultation into consideration when making decisions, along with many other factors. It has proven helpful from time to time, when no clear solution was apparent using more traditional means. The best use of astrology that I am aware of is for the purpose of relocation. I used relocation astrology to help me find a great new place to live. During the 1st 18 months in my new location, my experience has closely paralled the description of living here contained in the relocation report.

Astrology is not for everyone. To benefit from it requires a willingness to go beyond the negative cultural bias. It requires an open minded attitude, and a willingness to explore, read some books, and perhaps take some classes. Without doing so, a person has no basis for saying that astrology has validity or not. It's merely a repetiton of the ingrained cultural bias against astrology. Such opinions carry no weight, but everyone is welcome to express their opinion.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,942 times
Default I'm an astrologer

I've studied astrology for fifteen years and it is definitely true. HOWEVER, I've found Eastern or Hindu astrology to be more accurate than Western. Almost all horoscopes in the U.S. are based on the Western Sun Sign and something called SOLAR HOUSES. If the horoscope rings true this is most likely the system the astrologer is using. The planets are placed around the wheel according to where they are from the perspective of the natal Sun sign. The astrologer then interprets for that month where all the planets are highlighting which houses might dominate most. This is March, a month when many inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Sun, etc.) are in either Aquarius or Pisces. Therefore this month tends to be a big energy boost for both of those signs. If you are an Aquarius or Pisces you will have to put your hardheaded beliefs aside and admit that what I'm saying is true. You get more energy in the late winter and early spring, period.

Your monthly horoscope isn't telling you what is going to happen or what you should do; all a horoscope can tell you is WHAT IS THE QUALITY OF YOUR CYCLES, what is happening now. That is why some horoscopes ring true. 4th house domestic transits are pathetically easy to predict from the Solar perspective. I've been in a serious domestic crisis ever since Pluto went in to my Solar 4th house: I moved to a radically different city and have felt very displaced and alone. Did the transit cause it? No, it is a cycle, something I apparently have to go through. I've charted my own transits for many years and once in a while, ok, on a regular basis, just like all Americans, read my horoscope, for fun, because a fresh perspective never hurts.

As I mentioned earlier in the post I prefer the Eastern or Hindu system better. The Eastern perspective simply rolls the planets back 23 degrees to take in to account what is called the ayanasma. Western astrology is based on the Solar Calendar and seasons while Eastern astrology is based on the stars and where the planets actually are in the sky. In the Western system I'm a Libra but in the Hindu system I'm a Virgo.

Here's a link I like:

Galactic Center with Joni Patry - Home

Joni Patry is an Eastern astrologer based in Dallas, Texas. Her monthly horoscopes and yearly predictions are very right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
I used to read the horoscopes, still do occasionally, then I worked with a spiritual astrologer and found some things to be right on.
Lately, when I read my horoscopes, they're right on.

Hoax or facts?

Last edited by lemon&lime; 03-07-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM

Relocation astrology, if done correctly, is very true. I made the mistake of throwing caution to the wind when I moved to Salt Lake 3 years ago. I'm under seriously challenging house of home transits and that is definitely being reflected in my current situation. Years ago I had a reading with a Vedic astrologer named Nancy Channing who is not advertising online anymore. She warned me against the Western states and recommened Florida. I did not follow up on it and am now dealing with a location that does not really support me and having figured out her system I can definitely see what is wrong with the Salt Lake charts. They are just an all around downer. It's been hard to admit to myself that I should have never moved here. I think using astrology to pick a location makes good sense since relocating gets to be very time consuming and expensive not to mention traumatizing.

Services and Fees of Relocation Astrologer Julian Lee

From the Western perspective Julian's the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I've been attracted to astrology for most of my life. My interest continually waxes and wanes. Initially, an astrologer friend challenged me to dis-prove it. Of course, that required some serious study that went way beyond reading newspaper horoscopes. Through an in-depth study, I came to the conclusion that it actually had a great deal of validity.

That being said, I rarely look at my chart or consult with an astrologer. I schedule a consultation perhaps every 2 or 3 years, especially if I'm facing some significant challenges or planning a big step forward in my life. I take the information from the consultation into consideration when making decisions, along with many other factors. It has proven helpful from time to time, when no clear solution was apparent using more traditional means. The best use of astrology that I am aware of is for the purpose of relocation. I used relocation astrology to help me find a great new place to live. During the 1st 18 months in my new location, my experience has closely paralled the description of living here contained in the relocation report.

Astrology is not for everyone. To benefit from it requires a willingness to go beyond the negative cultural bias. It requires an open minded attitude, and a willingness to explore, read some books, and perhaps take some classes. Without doing so, a person has no basis for saying that astrology has validity or not. It's merely a repetiton of the ingrained cultural bias against astrology. Such opinions carry no weight, but everyone is welcome to express their opinion.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,047,841 times
Quote:
The planets are placed around the wheel according to where they are from the perspective of the natal Sun sign. The astrologer then interprets for that month where all the planets are highlighting which houses might dominate most. This is March, a month when many inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Sun, etc.) are in either Aquarius or Pisces. Therefore this month tends to be a big energy boost for both of those signs. If you are an Aquarius or Pisces you will have to put your hardheaded beliefs aside and admit that what I'm saying is true. You get more energy in the late winter and early spring, period.
May we see the scietific evidence to support your assertions?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Get your birth data and have a good reading with someone reputable like Joni, whose link I posted above. Read your horoscope for your Vedic Sun Sign for the last three months on her website and decide for yourself. I don't have time to argue the scientific basis with you. I've studied my own chart and those of friends and family members, and also famous people, for years. It is understandable that you are upset that I wrote such a cohesive post that echoes what others have written on this thread, that they think horoscopes and astrology in general are true. Moderator cut: edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post

Last edited by christina0001; 03-08-2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: rude and inflammatory

Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM

Default for those who are interested in astrology

From article by William Levacy:

What is Vedic Astrology? (broken link)

"Developed in India probably about 4000-6000 years ago, Vedic astrology is basically a forecasting and trend analysis tool. The most popular sage of ancient Vedic astrology, also called Jyotish, was Maharishi Parashara. Most Vedic astrologers, called Jyotishis, use his system today.
[Mod Cut]

Last edited by christina0001; 03-08-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: potential copyright issues; personal attack in post title

Old 03-08-2008, 01:18 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,047,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I don't have time to argue the scientific basis with you.
LOL. I see, it's one of those deals. Kind of like the car salesman who says "This baby is loaded.", but can't seem to say with what exactly.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by christina0001; 03-08-2008 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: the comment you referenced from a prior post has been deleted

Old 03-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Prince Of Lombards wrote:
May we see the scientific evidence to prove the assertions of science?

Some of us prefer to trust our personal experience more than science, while others are so hung up on science that they unwilling to experience anything that has not been validated by science. It's your life and you are welcome to limit your experience in any way that makes sense to you.

catrinac wrote:
I've studied astrology for fifteen years and it is definitely true. HOWEVER, I've found Eastern or Hindu astrology to be more accurate than Western.
Yeah, I studied vedic astrology for a few years too, because I read so much on the internet that it was more accurrate than western astrology. After a few years of vedic study I came back to tradiditonal western astrology, which is my preference today. I didn't find any greater accurracy with vedic. I just resonate more strongly with western astrology.

As stated in an earlier post, my interest in astrology waxes and wanes. I haven't been into it that much for the past year or two, but it's always on the back burner. I have never found anywhere close to 100% accurracy with western or vedic, but there's enough validity to it that my interest doesn't fade completely. I would never rely upon astrology as the sole factor in making an important decision, but I usually take into account what astrology has to say, and include it among other factors in making a decision. It provides insight that you just can't get form any other source that I'm aware of. Why not take advantage of it, even if it has no scientific basis! I have chosen not to be a slave of scientific evidence.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-08-2008 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.