Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times

Advertisements

Being a soul who craves logic, I've been looking for links between FACT and Astrology. Sometimes, for fun I will read my horoscope, and every once in a while it is frightfully accurate. How much faith do you put in astrology, and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 06:05 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I put no faith in astrology.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I put no faith in astrology.
I second this

Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
I wonder why in this day and age anyone even has to ponder if astrology is a joke.

Why do you think logic and fact based folks broke off and the SCIENCE of Astronomy was formed...

Old 08-15-2009, 07:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Zero, nada, zip, zilch

And if someone asks 'what is your sign' I automatically deduct 10 - 20 points off of the perceived average IQ

Old 08-15-2009, 07:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Being a soul who craves logic, I've been looking for links between FACT and Astrology. Sometimes, for fun I will read my horoscope, and every once in a while it is frightfully accurate. How much faith do you put in astrology, and why?

Astrology gets zero merit from me. You mention you read the horoscope for fun and once in a while it's frightfully accurate. Think about it. How many other people are there who was born in the same zodiac sign period as you? LOTS! The reading for you would also have to be applicable to everyone else born under the same sign. So what gives? It's that the readings are so general that they could apply to almost anything or anyone born under any sign of the zodiac.

As you said, it seems frightfully accurate only once in a while. That means most of the time it's not accurate. Most the the horoscopes are syndicated with large newspapers. Those newspapers may own loads of other newspapers all over the country. So let's say the total readership that the horoscope will appear in around the country is about 1 million or so. Out of all those who read the horoscope on a given day, chances are that the reading will seem accurate for at least one person. Big deal. You could get the same odds if it involved reading tea leaves.

All they generally post are general things that apply to human nature, that may or may not apply to any given person. Since there are 12 signs in the zodiac, for the reading to be actually be accurate, it would mean that the reading applies to everyone born under each sign. And that means there would be only 12 different modes of behavior worldwide - nevermind the readership of the newspaper. But it doesn't turn out like that because, as your said, only once in a while does it seem accurate.

If I were the one making the reading and said, "You will find an unexpected surprise, but be watchful for others who may try to interfere." It's so general that it could mean anything, and chances are at least one person might think WOW, that actually happened. The catch? The horoscope didn't say exactly what would happen. Someone somewhere is going to have an unexpected surprise.

The other snafu with horoscopes and astrological readings is that they're based on how the stars and planets are aligned in the sky in relation to your birthdate. Some even want to pinpoint it down to the minute and where you were born. These celestial bodies are said to exert influence on your behavior. But if you're aware of potential things that are predicted, then you can avoid or alter the outcome to your benefit. That doesn't really bode well for the so-called uncontrollable influence from the celestial orbs in space to produce accurate results, does it?

The bottom line is that you might do better playing the slot machines in Las Vegas than the odds of an accurate reading. If astrology was true, then it would by necessity have to be 100% accurate all the time.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Ever since I was kidnapped by aliens and probed in the most undignified manner, and they all read the horoscope in the National Perspirer, I am a dyed-in-the-wool devotee...

Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Popular astrology is a joke. The trends have as much detail behind them as Chinese fortune cookies. FWIW, there are a handful of astrologers that work extremely detailed charts an use non-standard protocols that get better than chance results. Even those can be spotty.

However, even if astrology doesn't work at all, it has value. Like the I Ching, like meditations, and like prayer, it can focus the mind on a single aspect of life. By doing that, it allows the mind to review, make connections, and start towards a deeper understanding of that area.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
There was a thread like this a week or so ago.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-16-2009, 01:46 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
I have never believed in "Astrology"
nor will I ever. It was originally a religion created/invented out of ancient Babylon. From there it spread across the planet to other major civilizations like Egypt, Greece, Romans, Chinese, all the way to the Americas etc. Beyond perhaps a secular historical curiosity for me, it simply holds nothing of worth or importance.

Yet the throughout history for many centuries, and believe it or not even our last century, most of the world's powers, leaders, etc have used this bogus belief in their decision making. One of the most notorious were the Nazis in planning their conquests. So successful were they at the beginning of the war that the allies, (prodominently the United States and Great Britain) followed their example and employed "astrology" to their own war efforts.

If you study the very beginnings of the Nazi Movement , it drew alot of it's beliefs and justifications from Germanic/Nordic Aryan Mysticism. The SS under Heinrich Himmler, developed a type of Nazi religious cult complete with rituals and ceremonies at the Wewelsburg Castle. There have been numerous documentaries on this castle which was built by means of slave labor. It was intended that more elaborate structures be added to it for the purpose of studying the stars by means of "Astrology", but it was never finished. Perhaps you'll recognize some of these pictures.

And believe it or not it all had a foundational base in "Astrology". From that time forward this mystical religious concept has been popular with many of the world's famous leader. I believe Eisenhower was one. Nancy Reagan and Hillery Clinton have been others. Scary thing is that these are intelligent people who perhaps have used such nonsense to allow influence on their decision making which effects the entire world of mankind.

Hmmmmmmmm
Wonder if that's why our world is so screwed up!!!

When I use to post in the Religious forum, I had the Christendom crowd at odds with me on the subject of the three wise men and the star. If you translate the original language used in the bible with regards the Wise men, you will find they should more properly or more accurately be refered to as "Magi" (from which the word magic is derived) or "Astrologers". They are actually said to have come from the East (Babylon = modern day Iraq) and despite the colourful myths surrounding the nativity scenes, which are inaccurate, it was only these pagan priest of that religion who even saw the star and no one else. Not shepherds, not anyone. Needless to say it created the usual uproar. But even the History Channel did a documentary on the subject of the three wise men and drew the same exact conclusions I did.

Whatever, but here is my take on Astrology as beautifully explained by Carl Sagan and I often use his opening statement when refering to many ares of science or should we say pseudo-science.

YouTube - Carl Sagan on Astrology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal